3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone own a St Patrick Lake American Styk longbow?  (Read 490 times)

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone own a St Patrick Lake American Styk longbow?
« on: October 14, 2024, 11:05:18 AM »
I had ordered from Craig a Hill Wesley Special string follow. I loved the bow and wanted to downsize the bows I had, I sold it. Big mistake, now that Craig retired.

Northern Mist has a two year wait. I had several Sheltons and a Whisper. I also shot a Classic which was a great shooting bow too.

I see St Patrick Lake has a American Styk which is also a string follow. When they first came out there were some differing reviews. Now that they have been around for a while I assume they are fine bows. They look great.

Has anyone had the American? If so what do you think about it.

I will have to order new since in my old age I am shooting lighter draw weights. They are hard to find in the used market in my draw weight.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone own a St Patrick Lake American Styk longbow?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2024, 07:14:38 PM »
Gil,
I own 3 of them. Buy with confidence . Great bows and seem super fast for String Follow. Mine has the same Point on at 40 as does my Backset from other bowyers
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2024, 07:28:44 PM »
I had one of the earlier versions and didn’t care for it. It had razor sharp string nocks that ate through strings.  Plus the price is pretty high for what you get. 

I know Northern Mist bows are impossible to get right now, so if I couldn’t find one used in my specs and wanted to get a good string-follow ASL, I’d consider any of the following before a SPL:  Mahantango Redtail Classic; Bivouac Hilljack; Two Tracks Echo; or a JD Berry Misty Dawn.

There are a couple other great bowyers out there making Hill-style bows (e.g. Nate Steen; Dave Miller, Gordy Morey; and Mark Belitz) but those are a bit harder to come by. Good luck with your search!
-EVG

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2024, 07:32:43 PM »
Thanks.

I am also thinking about a Mushin. If you own a Mushin how do they compare in your opinion.

I have had many backset longbows in addition to string follow. The draw curve of the Mushin looks smooth to out to 30".

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2024, 07:37:37 PM »
I am getting good reviews from some owners. I had heard some complaints when they first came out similar to yours.

I will check out the other bowyers you mentioned too.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2024, 07:45:21 PM »
I have a Yukon made within the last 6 months, nothing bad to say. I love the grip and the heavier mass in riser. Easily my favorite longbow.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2024, 08:00:29 PM »
I think I am going to just keep checking the want ads.

I don't like buying new unless I have shot them. For now I will just search for a used Howard Hill or NM. Used I will give SPL a go to see if I like them. The newer ones will be serialized.

Thanks for the info.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online Rob Emerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2024, 08:39:48 PM »
I have one of the Mushin Styk takedown with a G10 riser.  The riser is cut to center, and it’s certainly a good bow.  I also have several northern mist longbows and I’m currently shooting a 3 piece NM Skanee.  One of the things I like about the Northern Mist bows is the radius shelf and the ridge on the sight window that gives minimal arrow contact.  The wear on the leather is a small dot.  The Mushin stick I have doesn’t have much radius on the shelf and no ridge, so the wear on the leather is pretty much the length of the shelf.  I realize that this could be adjusted by taking the leather off the shelf and padding it out.  I just really don’t care to monkey much with stuff.  The bow shoots good the way it is, and is smooth drawing without stacking, and minimal hand shock for an ASL.  There are some fit and finish nitpick type things I wish were different.  There are some areas of the sight window that are absent of any bevel of the glass at the edges.  I like the Northern Mist bows, and I don’t think anyone out there has the fit and finish / attention to detail that Steve has.  I would suspect that with Howard Hill not currently producing bows, the NM lead time will continue to be long.  As far as the St. Patrick Lakes bows go, I doubt you’ll be disappointed.  I’ve killed deer with it, but I don’t see it ever being my #1 go to.  It’s a bit lighter in draw weight than I normally shoot, so I end up shooting it when I get tired and want to keep going.  Erik was easy to deal with and communicated with me through the process.  The bow was done very close to the quoted lead time.

Online Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2024, 06:57:27 PM »
I wound up picking up a Hill Tembo, 70" 50# @ 29" with a slight string follow.

Thanks for the responses
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©