3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Someone Special" Gets A New Parent  (Read 1006 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Someone Special" Gets A New Parent
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Most of you have realized or noticed that I have been shooting only all wood bows (self, primitive, wood lams, etc) for almost a year now. I was told by a good friend whom I respect highly that if I insisted on continuing to shoot Fg/wood Lams and all wood bows, I would not do as well as I might with either. I became convinced of that and finally hung up my long-time sweetheart, "Someone Special" - something I never thought I would do. Many know that "Someone Special" is my Adcock ACS. I love that bow and it is a part of my very heart. It is the sweetest shooting and behaving bow I've ever held and/or shot. It was not easy hanging her up, nor seeing her languishing there for the last year. She is still a fine bow and my love affair with her is well known and documented. So much so that some may have got tired of it at times    :D   , Sorry for that    ;)    

Well, to cut to the bottom line, I finally decided that a fine bow like "Someone Special" should not and could not be left unused for her superbly designed purposes. While at the Baltimore shoot last weekend I approached the one person in the world I would most like to have controll of my sheetheart's destiny, a person I know that I can trust to treat her with the respect and loving care she deserves. I, and this dear old friend, reached an almost immediate understanding, with very few words exchanged. Therefore, soon, "Someone Special" will be adopted by none other than one of Tradgang's best known and most favorite members.

Killdeer will now become "Someone Special's" adopted parent and may God bless their union, as I do. Thank you for taking over her care and love, Killie, my dear friend.

I was asked, by another close friend, what this transaction of love would set Killie back. I told them this - a lot more than it ever should have, because I truly would love to have just presented her with my long-time favorite bow - but in both of our "real worlds" we knew this was not possible.

My very best to my two old friends, Killie and "Someone Special", in their new union, for they both are special to me.

I just wanted to share this because there has been a lot of conjecture and queries about the subject for some time now, from folks who were aware I was not shooting or carrying "SS" anymore. Thank you for reading, friends.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Someone Special" Gets A New Parent
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
Sure Bernie....Pick a Gearl and a Navy Brat ta boot

Ya done both of em a great FAVOR...Good on ya Both  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Don't think ya coulda picked a nicer person Bernie I'm sure she'll treat her well
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Iron Bull - LOL for sure - An ol' Retired Marine goes and picks a self-proclaimed "Navy Brat" ... who woulda thunk it, huh?    :biglaugh:  

Tom, Swampbuck, I am glad to hear you, in particular, say that - for, as I'm sure you suspect, You also crossed my mind, from our ACS history, back when we were on "the list" beside each other, so to speak, and you offered to let me go first when our names would come up (age before beauty, I think you put it - LOL). I know you have met Killie, and I'm sure you mean what you say, thank you.

I'd also like to add here, that I thought about, and would dearly have loved to, offer it on the St. Jude Auction, which everyone knows is a cause so dear to my heart. However, that also was just not something I could, in good conscience, afford to do at this time in our lives.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Bravo!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Awesome!!!   :thumbsup:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Although I do not know either you or killie, as I read you first post I thought of killdeer for some reason before I even read the name.

My hats off to you sir for making such a hart felt post and for being able to share this story. It’s not always easy to let go of a loved one.   :notworthy:  

I offer my congratulations to Killdeer for being the recipient of such a great gesture from a dear friend. Friendships like that are true blessings and are few and far between.

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Bless your hearts. Not everyone understands things like this but I find there are a lot of trad archers/hunters who do.   :thumbsup:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Bernie, "Someone Special" couldn't haver gone to a better home...also someone special!!!   I'm sure Killy will raise her well!
  My Treadway bow has been idle for 3 years now. I miss her but I'm more involved with wood these days.
   Pat

ps. If you need some consoling this weekend, you know where to find me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Bernie....
    Good job my friend....  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
More room for selfbows Bernie, everyone's happy.  :goldtooth:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
My three very good friends who just posted were all sure to understand   :wavey:  bless you all.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Great job ber643 ! I think we all understand!   :thumbsup:      :clapper:  Every tradganger seems to have that special something with one, or all of their bows.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Thanks, frassettor, this thread (you comments) is/are going to make Killie even happier too.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Look forward to some pics of her with it and some bunnies.     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
LOL - she'll probably do it too,, VTm. Her shooting is getting tough and I'll be willing to bet she'll shoot "SS" like a wiz. She has a Centaur that reminds me a lot of the ACS, in size and shape, and she's smakin' stuff with it.

She's back at work today but she'll see this thread this evening, she was aware I was going to post the announcement - sometime.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Not a finner person to receive such a bow, good on ya Bern.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I,m touched that you even thought of me Bern Thank you it means a lot

ya ya I may have mentioned the age thing when I made that offer but some folks here have actually seen me    :scared:   beauty may not be the case    :bigsmyl:  

Take care TM
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
When Bernie approached me on this, I was scared, nervous, and wanted to run. Yes, I have eyeballed that bow, its sleek lines, its ferocity and its pleasant and untaxing weight. I have an ACS, Bob Morrison told me that he made it for himself, but it is a hair over 51 pounds at my draw and is a little much for me for extended shooting. I have always wanted one in the mid-forties.

But this is Bernie's bow, here. His baby. An expensive baby, too! And it will need its own space on the rack, and it can't be carried by the string with a bunch of other clunking, rattling bows when unloading the truck. It will have to be unstrung and put in the rug each time so its li'l bottom don't get bumped. How the heck will I save up that much money, plus the funds for the stinking Centaur I had to order because Larry wouldn't sell his and then he did sell it to me after I ordered one, and the money for the Leon Stewart that I don't want to die without buying? My camera is on the fritz, too.

I'll find a way.
Every time I draw the string back, the grip will press into my palm like the grip of a warm handshake from a man I admire and respect, for a lot of reasons. One day I will embarrass him real good by posting a list of his deeds and accomplishments far longer than the lists I make out before taking a three week hunting trip. And I am sure that I don't know the half of them. Dammit Bernie, you're making me cry.
Damn being a gurrrllll anyway.  :mad:  

Killdeer  :notworthy:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
it could not have happend to a nicer person. way to go uncle bernie. now what was that bow you were sending me killie  :p    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©