3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to decide  (Read 456 times)

Online Pathfinder1974!

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying to decide
« on: October 19, 2024, 04:48:25 PM »
So I picked up a trad bow again after trying it 25yrs ago this last winter. Something now I wish I’d have stuck with!!!! I’m actually enjoying shooting a bow again after 20+yrs of just goin through motions shooting just to make sure sights were on. I bought a cheap Chinese wooden recurve to start with. Instantly fell in luv with shooting again at 50yrs old. My instinct was to buy an ILF bow though so once I figured out some shooting tech I spent more $$$ on a knock off satori riser and some better carbon foam limbs. I shoot the bow efficiently enough I’m confident in hunting with it. Now what I want is a custom bow I can get into and shoot maybe for rest of my hunting life. I’ve wanted a custom bow since I started researching the trad bow stuff. I knew better then to buy one first thing cuz I wasn’t sure I’d be proficient enough to be able to hunt and a custom bow is a huge investment. Well I’m there now and know this is the type of bow hunting I want to do now and I’m good enough and sure will only get better so looking into custom bows. I understand the 2 bows I have now are MORE then enough and frankly they preform as good as the other bows I shot next to at 3D shoots this summer. There’s just something about a custom bow that I find myself wanting. Guys up in my neck of the woods aren’t shooting what I think I’d want for a custom bow though. Most of the guys I shot with are shooting hill style D bows which are great but tried a few and not for me. Other then that it’s mostly bows like mine or self bows. Now my bow of choice on looks alone are either a Toelke Pika or a Big Jim Thunderchild. Now I’ve never shot a longbow but these two bows look fantastic to me. However think if I ordered a Teolke it would be a whistler at 58in. Now I’m also very drawn to a Black Widow PCH or a Timberghost TGX. Now I know the TG TGX is a radical departure as it’s a super curve but my limbs now aren’t considered super curves but have kinda that feel. I know it’s kind of a subjective thing but suggestions are welcome as I’m trying to make an informed decision.

Thx!!!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Trying to decide
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2024, 07:19:23 PM »
Welcome back.  Good to see you're enjoying the journey.  Looks to me that you're still in the process of determining what you like.  What we like isn't going to be of much help.  You're just going to have to bite the bullet and try one  There's a good chance it won't be the last. Most of us who have been at this a while have gone through a lot of bows, custom and otherwise.  Good luck.

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2024, 02:01:24 PM »
Similar story here in that I tinkered with traditional bows  for the last 30 years, but never fully committed, until this year.  I had always shot recurves and have had a few from big name bowyers.  I don't have anything bad to say about any of them, but always wondered about longbows.  I just think they look super cool and you always hear about how much quieter they can be.  I also have a Toelke Whistler on order, but was lucky enough to discover a Whip in stock, so I pulled the trigger on it.  I like the grip on it so much, that I'm trying to sell a few of my recurves now.  Bottom line is you don't know what you'll like until you try it out.  But, like I said, I now have a Whip I love, a Whistler on order, and keeping my eyes open for Chinook as well.  Good luck with your decision.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2024, 05:51:10 PM »
I've been shooting Toelke bows for the past 15 years.  Ive had several others including black widows.  I've not found anything I like near as well as the Toelke bows.  I had a Caribow Tuktu that I really liked, but a buddy liked it better.  The Pika is my all time favorite and my constant companion in our deer woods.  My advice--- call Dan or Jared and they'll set you up with a bow that I believe you'll really be happy with.  Whitetail is the biggest game I hunt and I've found 38-42# perfect.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2024, 08:10:39 PM »
Have had over a couple of stables of hi end bows. My number one selection for a 58"r is the TimberGhost TGX with a G10 riser. The grip is easily the most important feature on a bow. The TimberGhost grip is my personal choice.

Now acquiring one may prove to be challenging.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Pathfinder1974!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2024, 10:20:22 PM »
I’ve tried a toelke whip and liked it but the length was too much for me. Not sure about the 56” Pika even though it’s the bow like the Thunderchild that I gravitate too. However my current setup I’ve been told is almost on the verge of a super curve. Been told my limbs have a super curve feel. One I luv the way a timberghost looks and seemingly the performance of you can adjust to the draw cycle is undeniable. That intrigues me a ton too.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »
I’m not much of a longbow guy . I just shoot recurves better. But the one longbow that I really liked was a Centaur, just a great shooting bow.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Buckeye1977, Vesty, Pathfinder1974!, matt steed and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©