3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw Weight Reduction- Is 3 lbs Noticeable??  (Read 160 times)

Online BD

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw Weight Reduction- Is 3 lbs Noticeable??
« on: October 24, 2024, 02:07:28 PM »
I've been away from the traditional game for about 10 years. I've had shoulder surgeries (2) bicep tendon reattachment, neck fusion, and vision issues and have been shooting a compound over this time. I've recently discovered I may be able to shoot trad again now that I am recovered if I shoot three under and close my non-dominant eye completely when I shoot. I have a couple of custom T/D recurves that I',m going to see if I can get the limb weight reduced. Both are 49@29. The bowyer for one of the bows says he can get 3lbs off but likely not more. I would like to be around 43 lbs and he thinks he will get it to 46. My question is- do folks feel like the 3lb reduction will be noticeable?

Thank You!!
BD

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw Weight Reduction- Is 3 lbs Noticeable??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2024, 02:09:56 PM »
3 pounds isn't much after shoulder surgery.
I would shoot for no more than 40 pound draw weight.

Online BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2024, 02:56:10 PM »
I should have mentioned that I am a year out from my last surgery. I do have an old Hoyt Dorado with 38 ish pound limbs and it feels pretty light and the bow shoots awfully slow.
BD

Online EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2024, 03:04:24 PM »
There are a lot of pretty inexpensive ILF lies out there.  If the 38# limbs feel light after surgery too, why not invest in a slightly heavier set to see how they feel before dropping a bunch on reducing weight on another bow?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2024, 05:08:54 PM »
3# is about minimum to be noticeable, so yes, i believe you would notice the difference, but will it be enough?  Don't know.  As others have suggested, might be better to trade your existing limbs for others, or sell them and buy lighter limbs. 

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2024, 05:37:52 PM »
I can't speak to the surgery issue that would be an individual decision between you and your doctor.  However, just completing recovery from a Mt Bike accident that injured my right shoulder, I'm right handed.  I have been working with various exercises and reduced bow weight.  Currently, I'm back to 60# for shooting and my heavier bows as strengthening tools.  I've found that a few pounds over my maximum poundage makes a drastic difference.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2024, 11:08:17 PM »
The option to reduce the 49# bow to 46# is not going to go away, so I wouldn’t jump into doing it right now.  It would be better to shoot some lower poundage bows for a while, and see how you feel.  If you feel like working your way up to 46#, then reduce the weight.  If not, sell the bow at 49#.  A bow always is worth more if it hasn't been modified, plus you would save the cost of reducing the weight.

In answer to your question, a 3# weight reduction is very noticeable if it brings the bow from being a little too heavy to comfortable.  OTOH, if it brings the weight from way too heavy to just too heavy, it would be a waste of money.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©