3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simple question, hopefully  (Read 353 times)

Offline jdhermit

• Trad Bowhunter
Simple question, hopefully
« on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Hello.  just found this board.  a guy I used to work with got me interested in traditional archery years ago.  I purchased an inexpensive bow (PSE, i think), and shot some.
Now, I'm interested in getting back into it.  Just in my backyard...with my 9 year old.
I have no clue what kind of arrow's to buy, however.  I look at Cabela's and the like, and get confused.  
I'm just looking for a decent inexpensive arrow that I'll be shooting into one of those foam blocks.
Sorry if its a stupid question...I *did* look in the "How To" section, but didn't really find anything.

Any help is appreciated in advance!    :D  

JD
PS- if there's any other info that would help, like about my particular bow, pls let me know...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simple question, hopefully
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
If you give the specs of your bow and your draw length, we might be able to come up with something useful for you.

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
First of all Welcome, lots to learn from these folks.

Tell a little about your bow; #'s at ?'inches.
Also try post and looking in the classifieds here you might can find something.

Good Luck and Welcome Home

Just found this;  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060551

Offline jdhermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I sincerely apologize for posting a question and then not following up.  I would still appreciate any help on arrow selection for my bow for general backyard target shooting...
(I know its been 6 months since I asked the question, got...a...little...busy...with...life!)
    :eek:  
So- My bow is (no laughter, please, its just an inexpensive bow compared to what you guys prolly shoot) a PSE Impala.  Its a 60" recurve with 45 lb draw weight.
I think I remember     :knothead:   that the friend who got me into shooting said some traditional shooters prefer the cedar arrows?  But that could be information that I am mis-remembering.

I don't really have a preference as to what I'm shooting (cheap = good) because I'm just playing around in my backyard.

I really DO appreciate any suggestions (Cabelas or any other source is fine).  Just cheap, decent arrows (cause I lose 'em a bit).

Thanks for your help...
John

edit: someone above said how many #'s at how many inches...not sure what that means (sorry) but I seem to remember something about 26" or so as something that I saw when I bought my bow???
(Again, its been probably 6 years since I bought it and I am REALLY new at this stuff.)  I'll see if I can find anything in my paperwork tonite...

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
you have a great little back yard bow and with the right arrows and practice and sharp broadheads could take a deer. try getting a bundle of cedar arrows from kustom king or 3rivers pre made or make your own. its easy and fun for you and your 9 yr old   :wavey:    :thumbsup:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Your PSE Impalla will do just fine.  That is what I have and I just started shooting it this summer.  I have taken two deer with it this year.

My Impala is 50 pounds @ 28".  I shoot Easton 2016 arrows cut to 29.5".  My broadhead is a 125 gr 2 blade Magnus.  I did put a small flipper rest on my bow.  

I have never shot any other recurve so I don't really know if they shoot any better.  All I know is my Impala shoots just fine and I'm happy with it.  

Welcome
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I am a big strapping 43 year old and my bows are 45 pounds. I sincerely do not know how your 9 year old is gonna pull it back.

ON my 45#ers I use Aluminum Easton xx75 2115's. I also have some Sitka Spruce made for me by Brandywine Arrows that are spined 55-60.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
I think you could use 2013 alum. or 45-50 wood.David
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline jdhermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Wow, lots of good info...thanks!
I'm going to start looking for the couple of Easton arrows that ya'll have suggested...Thank you!

First- no offense to anyone who *has* a PSE Impala like mine...I just know that they can go MUCH higher in price, that's all.

Second, Migra Bill- Good point...didn't mean to imply that my 9 YO was gonna use my bow.  He's got a kid's bow that he'll be using until I can determine if its something that the two of us will enjoy doing together...we like shooting air guns in the backyard, just thought this would be fun too.  SO the arrows and Impala are just for me.

I'll look tonite online for some of the ones mentioned...
I'm sure I'll have another question or two once I find them (your patience is appreciated!!!).

Thanks again!
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©