3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Visit to Old Master Crafters  (Read 515 times)

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
Visit to Old Master Crafters
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
I have been working on the north side of Chicago lately and I've been wanting to visit Old Master Crafters. This morning, I finally took the time to do so.

I thought others might like to hear about this experience. I met John and a few of the employees and got a quick tour.

It was a bit of sensory overload because there is no showroom, just a production building and a small office. There were tools and wood everywhere. John showed me stacks of wood, staves, glass, carbon (and a lot of saw dust).

I came away with an amazing sense of his concern for quality. I saw stacks of wood that I think most people would not hesitate to use, but for one reason or another (too porous, too close to a check, swirling grain, etc.), John won't ship.

The wuality of the wood OMC has makes the stuff in the local lumber yards look like

I picked up 6 bamboo backings to take home with me (sitting in O'Hare as I write this).

(Note: I didn't get a discount or any sort of request to post this. I just think it's good to reassure anyone who's worrying about ordering.)
-Brett

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Visit to Old Master Crafters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Good story Brett. Thanks.
Al (Als Decals)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I visited them for the first time back in 2005 and came away with the same experience. It's a heck of an operation with exceptional attention to detail.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
thanks fort sharing

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
Good story,do they have a website or ph# to be contacted at. thank you Terry

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
OMC doesn't have a web site.But you can call john at (847) 623-6948. I've been visiting him & his dad before him since 1989. A great place to visit & you always feel welcome.
Bob T.

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Nice place to visit AND a ton of wood. I was joking that God forbit it ever burned down, it would burn for a year!
-Brett

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©