3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: F/F on a NON F/F Bow ?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: F/F on a NON F/F Bow ?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:00 AM »
OK , I guess that is a BIG NO . Cheers for the replies .
  Maybe some of our Aussies need to rethink that thing about padded loops on a Non F/F bow .
 Thankyou
  Jeff

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
Jeff,
     I know for a fact bear take downs dont like it( even the ones with reinforced tips that are supposed to be built for fast flight)

It would be interesting to chronagraph a standard dacron and a padded fast flight.

I bet there would be not much difference in fps. Not enough to bet a favourite bow on, methinks.

:)
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline McK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Well, I wouldn't recommend it on a bow that meant a lot to you.  That being said I have done it many times.  In fact the bow I shoot the most, a 1961 45# Bear polar that I pull 30", has had a 450+ string on it for about 8 years.  I've shot it probably 20,000 times with arrows of about 10gr/lb.  I even had an arrow nock break and dry fired it once.  I also have several other vintage Bears I have shot a lot with similar strings with no problem, but all the real nice ones get dacron.
  Why do it?  Well the 450+ string is at least 10 years old (used it on another bow prior to the polar) never needs to be adjusted for brace ht. shoots about 6fps faster than dacron and on this bows is just as quiet ( that is not always the case on many bows).  I also use ff type strings on selfbows some without tip overlays. Also on several bows ff has reduced handshock/vibration.  Maybe I have just been lucky and as soon as tips start shearing off I'll repent and go to dacron.
   The only damage I have done, due to dry fire with 62# bow, was with ff tips on custom bow, cracked tip overlay which was replaced and bow reverted to dacron.
  This is just my experience and not a recommendation, I have a lot of bows and was willing to chance it.........McK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©