3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best climbing tree stand  (Read 848 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
best climbing tree stand
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:56:00 AM »
I have a buddy looking to buy a new climbing tree stand. He is interested in the summit brand, but would like feedback of what hunters consider to be the number one brand,model of climbing tree stand and why ???

so if you have a summit brand and or another brand please provide feedback....

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best climbing tree stand
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
My Summit is the only stand I have that make sitting dawn to dusk NOT a painful experience.

Offline workin at it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
Have a tree lounge and I can stay from before daylight to dusk. I bring food and water. If you doze off, you can't fall out.

I find that deer sometimes move around due to hunters going out at noon and coming back in early afternoon.

Jim

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
I love my Lone Wolf sit and climb its light easy to set up and climb with, I sat for 8 days in a row last year in Ohio in november before arrowing a buck total comfort during the all day sits.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
i have had them all and the Ol'Man is by far the best and safest stand out there. It's whisper quiet climbing in the tree and very comfortable. They also make a larger model for bigger guy(like myself) They also make them out of aluminum to save weight. The net seat is awsome and doesnt make any noise when you stand up for your shot. it packs down pretty flat for transport. It isnt the smallest "foot print" but i found if you want comfortable you need to bear with it. Mine is actually the steel model and i can pack it in quite far with no complaints. I dont normally promote equipment, but this takes the cake and its proven itself to me time and time again. I have climbed out of the tree (in daylight hours) with does bedded 40-50 yards away and they never heard me till i stepped out of the stand on to the crunchy leaves....

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
I have a Summit, an API and Lone Wolf climbers.  The Summit and API are good solid stands but are bulky when it comes backpacking them in the woods a ways.  I put them in the same category.

My Wolf is hands down my favorite.  If I go on a hunt that I will pack in a ways and I'm serious about killing something I'll take my Wolf with me.  The Summit and API were results of trades; my Wolf I bought! If I lost all 3 the Wolf is the only one I would replace!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
I like the LW Sit and Climb also,although I did change out the seat with a Summit replacement seat which makes a big difference in the comfort level to me.

No cracking or creaking or groaning or moaning with this stand as it is cast aluminum and deadly silent,unlike the majority of the stands with metal mesh or welded tubing that can make all kinds of noise with the slightest movement.

I would also recommend adding the foot rests,they also make a huge difference in the comfort factor.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
I've had a Summit sit and climb but sold it for a Lone Wolf hand climber for all the reason Trooper listed. The Summit is nice but the LW is easier and quieter.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
I have had a Summit..not too bad.  I have an Old Man now.  Heavy but packs easily.  Very quiet and easy to set up.  You have to set it up on a big enough tree or the arms pinch your sides.  I think this has been remedied with the newer models.  Mine can be flipped over for a gun rest or down for a foot rest.
My next stand will be a Lone Wolf sit and climb.  They are super quiet and the best made stand by far imho.  Get your wallet out though, they are pricey.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline finger lakes bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
LW but not the sit and climb, the lighter one. LW is way quiet. I had a summit, working that metal strap in the winter is tuff, I got my fingers pinched several times. The LW is also better put together.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Another vote for Ol Man. I have hunted out of them for the last 10 years or so and love them. Great price as well.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
I have had them all at one time or another. Right now, I have a Summit bullet backpacker climbing stand hangin in the shed. It is a good stand that is comfortable to sit in for extended periods. I have a bad disc in the L5 (lower back) and sitting isn't one of my favorite things, but the Summit makes it possable. Same with API climbers ( Grand slam deluxe comes to mind). They are heivier than the LW models but if I can't sit still while on stand, it's useless to me. I also have 4 LW climbing sticks and looking for the alpha fixed stand to match up with them. Will come in handy when a climber won't work. Not so high on the comfort scale, but than again, it's not too bad for hunting 20ft up a tree.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I have a lone wolf sit and climb. Very sturdy in construction,and quiet and easy to set up.  In the dark I can set it up just by feeling the strap.
Summit stands are very good qaulity also. I would advise anyone looking at stands to try it out first if possible. There are always little things you find with equipment after buying it that you would like to change or cant live with. You do not notice these(little things) until the first four hour day you spend in the stand.
                     Mike

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Lone Wolf; very compact and only 15 lbs.

It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
I've used climbers since the old Baker "widdow-makers" and the best I have ever used is the Timbertall.  They are made of the finest lightweight machined alunimum.  The one that I have weighs only 12 pounds and is the easiest to haul in of any I have tried.  The best part of these is that both the platform and the sitting portions have wheels on them that you can turn to adjust the angle of the stand relevant to the tree.  I don't know of any other stand that has this feature.  Here in the east it is often tough to judge the taper of the tree from the ground at the height that you intend to set up at.  This makes it easy.  No more slanting downhill and feeling like you are going to fall.  They are also the best constructed stand I have used; their welds are first rate and the stand is extremely comfortable and stable.  I've tried all the Summit's and I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for any of them compared to the Timbertall.

.........just my 2 cents.

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou BEST on the Market, have had mine now going on 20 years, it is used every year, never have had to replace a single item on the stand or tree Climbing Aid. It was pretty pricy back in 1988 if My Memory serves Me correctly the cost was $218.00....ONE SHOT...  :D    :D    :D    :D    :D

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
I have a Sabor the bottom is safe, the seat however is the widow maker part of the setup.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
There was a poll a couple years ago and the winner was the Lone Wolf Sit'N Climb. After 2 seasonn, I have not regretted buying one.
Lon Scott

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
LW gets my vote, in the sit and climb it can be real comfy. Where it really shines is the way it packs. Very light and it truly sits on your back as where most others clang at the back of your knees! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
I have to agree with one shot. Loggy Bayou, The most stable stand I have ever hunted out of, once the seat is set in place I can move anywhere on the platform and it doesn't move ro make any sound. I like the larger platform, almost 4" longer than others I have used over the years. And the weight is not bad either, under 18#. The biggest is the stability, I feel safe when the stand can not move around the tree.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©