3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No blind turkey methods  (Read 4245 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No blind turkey methods
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Al I agree on the top of the leg (hip joint)shot. If they can't use their legs they can't get airborn, or run very well. They can pull themselves along with their wings on the ground at a pretty good clip but you can out run that. Only works on a broadside turkey though.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Often times a "Cluck and Purr" will get a tom to stop for one last look, giving you that chance you've been looking for. You will have to be ready to shoot, because it will be brief. Also as someone else mentioned a strutting tom is totally blind in back of the fan..
You will definitely kill more birds with fewer hours spent hunting using a blind, but it's not an impossible task to kill one "el-naturale". The other downer is you will educate a lot of birds to the call, making them tougher hunting in the future.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Todd Weldon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
If you call a blind something that completely encloses you like a store bought blind, then is just a piece of camo cloth about 36" tall held up on stakes a blind?

Read Bowhunting for Turkeys by Jack Brobst
He is from PA and has killed many turkeys with bow and decoy sitting behind a small piece of camo fabric or whatever. He waits until the turkey gets his head behind the decoy to make his draw and shoot.

It is a real good book and if any needs to borrow it you can get if from Mike Bolin, Thats where I got it. Thanks Mike!

Todd
Forget McAllester, I'm just gonna hunt at the house this year!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Al,

Ya wanna elborate ont his hip joint shot?  There was a post on here a copule days ago with a good photo for shot placements by texasbubba.   I've heard of this shot but with the lack of birds to look at...well you get the idear lol.

Thanks

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Well I haven't done it but I could if I wanted to but I guess its not very fair or legal for that matter.

These are 50 feet from my back door.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ltenga/SD550042.jpg
 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ltenga/SD550012-1.jpg

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
AkDan, right at the top of the rounded thigh (red dot), it's a little lower and futher back than the generally recommended shot (yellow dot), but I believe very efffective on recovering turkeys. Might necessiate a follow up shot once you get up to the bird.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
[

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
i was successful twice last year at having birds within range of me without a blind, but i only connected with one.  wearing khaki pants and a camoflauge t shirt i sat in the shadow of a large penn oak on a stool, and had shots on both birds within 20 yards (the one i missed at 15). i think they key is knowing the actions of turkeys, and when to move.  i learned this by just spending time with them and taking pictures to test my movement.  you can get away with more than u think.  i also believe that hunting with the mentality that u dont have a call besides a locator call is also helpful. its hard to kill a turkey when he is looking for a hen that he cannot find. the more u can stay off their minds the better off u are. i studied the two birds i had encounters with for a month and knew their patterns, narrowed it down to one hilltop and intersepted them on the way to a field.  i had no need for a call.

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
AkDan, this is now my preferred shot at a broadside bird. I have often wondered why the most popular shot (noted by ferret with the yellow dot) is where it is. It seems, to me at least, to be too high for the vitals. Perhaps someone will one day convince me to take the yellow dot shot. I have only shot two toms with an arrow so I am still a novice. I just know what the hip shot did for me last year and it makes since to me.  

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Troy, tell us about your equipment and your preferred shot placement, decoy set-up? etc.THANKS DON WILSON
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
No disrespect taken joebuck, I am always open to learning something new, that's why I come to tradgang.   :)   Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts on the turkey hunting.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
!

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I've killed 2 and missed several before I had a DB blind.  I guess I've killed 6 -8 from the blind, but using the blind just took the fun out of turkey hunting....in the right spot, it's more like turkey shooting than turkey hunting. Last year I went back to running and bow'en and the fun was back...missed what should have been a slam dunk shot after the bird being within 10yds of me for 5 min (seemed like an hour).  I wear leafy camo with a thin mesh over the eye opening...a turkey can spot you blink. I sit on one of those low turkey seats with my back against a big tree (if there is one). I've had mixed results with decoys, but generally use at least a hen facing away from me...the goal being that the goobler fans out for her facing away from me.  Several folks have mentioned just using a Jake, Ive never tried that.  When I started, still using a compound, I would try to draw when the turkey walked behing a big tree, that plan has only resulted in shooting a tree with my longbow.  If you just want to kill turkeys..take the blind....if you want to have fun....leave the blind at home.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the input gents!  I'm really getting stoked about this longbeard bonanza!!!

I've hunted longbeards before, both with bow and gun however never did get to even draw on a bird with the bow.   Still a blast however ya look at it.  It's the only thing missing from Alaska, feathered turkeys!!!

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Jeff,, I hear you. I wonder why it is legal to shoot turkeys from a DB or similar blind and it is illegal to shoot deer with head lights. I also wonder why during many fire arm seasons you have to wear x amount of orange, but you don't need to display it on the out side of your pop up blind, but those are thoughts for another thread.
Runnin and Bow'n (Like that) is about as much fun as you can have with your close on.. Remember it's the experience not the kill that motivates us.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
I set up exactly the way Joebuck described. I have killed 15 without a popup, 4 with. Except I use a decoy hen or 2 sometimes on a string for movement. And I use a muzzey grasshopper behind my 2 blade broadhead with 2 of the prongs turned behind the blades so only 2 are sticking out. And I think Ferrets shot spot is the best.  I learned from the book previously mentioned. Good Luck
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
I love hunting them without a blind.

The pop-up type blinds just don't suit me,I feel like I'm in a tent camping,not hunting.I think I might be claustrophobic,I just don't like being in them.Almost seems like I can't hear well from a blind.

I like to find a spot,like ambushing them leaving or coming in to roost.A double,or triple trunked tree at my back,cut a few green limbs and stick them in the ground a few feet in front of me to still give plenty of room to draw,and I'm good to go.Full camo,very,very,slow movement.Got my last Gobbler at about 12 yards with 4 hens and a jake between us in a swamp bottom.So close to one hen that I could see the water dripping off her beak after she drank out of the little low spot holding water between me and the Gobbler.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©