3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best way to receive funds on a sale?  (Read 606 times)

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best way to receive funds on a sale?
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
What is the best (most secure) payment method (other than cash) when receiving payment for goods?  Knowing there are numerous scams going on, what would you request?  And no PayPal account.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best way to receive funds on a sale?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
USPS money order, if you feel something is up. You can cash it before you ship the bow.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
I would suggest a USPS Postal Money Order.  If you have the slightest concern over it take it straight to the Post Office upon receiving it prior to shipping anything.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I myself will not do a deal with anyone who request payment first, If I send the money and the guy don't send the bow I am out, but the reverse is also true, why is one guy taking more of a risk than the other? Trust is trust and why should one trust more than the other? Shawn
Shawn

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
What ever happened to the simple thing called a "gentlemans agreement". There are alot of people in this world trying to take advantage of one another... Thats to bad, they are missing out on alot.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
My belief is the seller calls the shots. If you don't want to agree with it, you sure don't have to buy it. I always use a Post Office money order because I can file a complaint with them for mail fraud. Also, I can tell right away if one is good by holding it to the light and looking for the security marks. On large items like a bow, I usually wait for payment before sending. I might make an exception for someone I have correspoded with before, like Shawn. For smaller items I may take a check, and not wait. It's up to each individual.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
There are so many scams going on the first thing I look for: is he a regular guy-that means do I see him posting and being active on this or another site; or can I check him out on the auction site. Second: can I find an address and tel number on the Internet.
Third: if I am buying I will ask for other pics just to make sure the bow even exists.
From a regular like Shawn above it does not matter what he sends me, he has an established record, and can be trusted.
To me it is simple homework first; and then the payment form is less important whether buying or selling.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
I think of it along the same lines. We have a good group here and many of us have done transactions times over when all it takes is a word and it's done. But, unfortunately, the scammers try to take advantage of that same trusting nature to steal from people. We, as a group, do a pretty good job of weeding out the bad apples (Thanks Mod's and Admin!) before they can do much damage. Use your better judgement when doing internet transactions and pay with a credit card, if you can. They have substantial fraud safeguards built into them.

I certainly wouldn't get bent if a seller requested payment before sending the item. Just how it has always been. I always use paypal (credit card) when I can. It's fast and pretty secure.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
The buyer buys a money order to keep a record of the payment - easy to get at any post office or 7-11.

The seller buys a tracking number to keep a record of the shipment, even buy insurance if it's needed.

The other thing to consider, from the seller's point of view, is the time limit, unless "the check is in the mail" works for you. That is why I use Paypal - the payment is in my bank account pronto and it doesn't cost the buyer a cent.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Is a bank check (not a personal check) or wire service check secure?  I am the intended recipient of payment, and want to make sure the funds are legit/secure.  It goes beyond this forum (whom the members I do trust).
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
PayPal is the least risky, and if you use it like a bank account it pays interest and the fees are very low. 500.00 is about 15 bucks.
The riskiest transaction is the 'trade' where no money is involved. I recently did a big one in the 1000.00 range and did a lot of homework befrehand.
He had never posted on sites-only surfed anonamously so my radar was up for sure.
Checked the address, keyed his name into Google, called him on the phone unannounced on the number I found listed in the on line book. I even looked up the weather for his town and we talked about the rain they'd had. We established a rapport and exchanged extra pics and personal information.
The trade went super smooth both parties were very happy.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Never had any problem with the fellow Trad Gangers I have dealt with. When I sell a bow, I ask for a USPS MO or a Certified Check. When I receive the MO or Check I'll mail the bow.When I buy or order a bow I'll send a MO to the person or Bowyer .Then I get the bow or goods. Ask for or give  a phone # that way you can converse with the folks.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
BobW nothing is secure unless you actually deposit or cash the instrument and wait for it to clear your account. Even if you walk out of the bank with cash in hand you are at risk till the instrument clears-takes 3 days to a week, or so. There have been forged certified checks and even PMOs that are so good the employees can't tell. That is one of my main reasons for the basic homework above.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
No honest person will argue with you about holding your shipment until the check clears. Even honest people bounce checks when they forget to balance their checkbooks or one of their deposits doesn't clear on time.
If they have to get your goods faster, they can buy a money order. You can cash a money order on the way to the post office to ship the goods.
The seller always has an advantage over the buyer.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn - I ship when the buyer tells me he is sending a check - and yes, I take a check if they don't have PP.

When buying, I prefer PP - if seller was mo or check, it goes same time they ship or there is no deal.

Trust goes both ways or I pass.

Steve

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
The best way I have found is to have the buyer send his twin supermodel daughters to your hunting camp bearing large amounts of cash.  {- :)

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I just sold a Leica Camera Lens to a Gent from Taiwan for $4600.00 and the payment was made by wire transfer to my bank and my account. Then the lens was shipped. Can't be any safer then that. The only other way for me is Postal Money order or Cashier Check. Never had any problems this way. My 2 cents.......

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
SteveB and I seem to be the only one who make sense. Someone tell me why the seller should be in the drivers seat, ya both are at risk and why should the seller be at less of a risk? Shawn
Shawn

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Because the seller has the goods ya want. The buyer always risks getting defective goods, but the seller can always hold on to the goods and get real money from another buyer if the first buyer doesn't pay. Whenever you trade goods for cash, only the seller gets a sure thing.

In a barter, you're both at risk.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
Agree with Shawn and SteveB. I do like to talk by phone before the deal is finalized though. If you do me wrong, game over. Was raised to look for the good in folks, not the bad..... Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©