3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CheckMate Hunter TD =Hand shock?  (Read 368 times)

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
CheckMate Hunter TD =Hand shock?
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm lookin for a little help from the Checkmate crowd. I picked up a georgous checkmate hunter TD for my son while he was away at college. We were out back today setting it up and shooting it.
The brace is perfect and nocking point is right where it should be. The bow throws a 27 7/8" 40/60 carbon arrow like the proverbial dart. The problem is that it's  noisy and has some hand shock. I do not have any string silencers on the bow yet but is this normal with the checkmate hunters?  He really loves the bow but is a little put off by the hand shock. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

JOHN

Oh, the bow specs. are 60"/55#@28" and he is drawing 26.5"
I reckon so

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CheckMate Hunter TD =Hand shock?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by MYSTIKBOW:
The brace is perfect and nocking point is right where it should be.... The problem is that it's  noisy and has some hand shock.
Then it isn't set up correctly... is it tillered split or three under?  What weight arrow are you shooting?  May also look into Limb Savers on it, but othere will say if it is set up correctly you don't need them.  What string is on it?

Originally posted by MYSTIKBOW:
I do not have any string silencers on the bow yet but.
Bow Hush & Hush Puppies - get them here on TG up in the sponsor's section...

They CM Hunters are solid performers.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
I've had a few Hunter II's, all were a pleasure to shoot, very smooooth and quiet. What do you have it braced at?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
BobW,
  The bow is tillered split finger.I Tried limb savers on a bow once and noticed no real difference. The arrows are heavy enough. It's not that. The brace is at 8" which is where check mate recommends. I am giong to play around some more with that to see if that helps. It's a new string made by a fellow TG'er. I have used his strings in the past with no problems.  

Two Arrows,
             I have the bow braced at 8".
I guess I'll play around with that for starters tomorrow morning. where have you found the best brace to be on any that you've owned.
I've never had this problem with any of the other recurves that I own.
I reckon so

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
What material of string?  I shoot the D97 from Chad (LBR).  Once I got a B-50 for it, and I got rid of that string, way too noisey.  You need to put silencers on it for sure.  I have two sets of woolie whispers and limb savers on my bow and its quiet and fast with 10.0+ gr/#. My bow is braced at 7 3/4.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
BMOELLER, I e-mailed Chad this evening. I'm not sure of the string material. I'm gonna e-mail the guy who made it and ask. I'm not crazy about the limb savers but I have a bunch of beavers balz..LOL... around that I use for silencers that should work great.
It is a quick shooting bow and I'm not gonna give up on it. Tomorrow morning will find my son and me out back adjusting and tweeking it into shooting perfection. I'll try dropping back to 7 3/4 brace and give it a go. Thanks

JOHN
I reckon so

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I had mine braced at 8.25". I never have been a big believer in the beaver balls. All of mine had the yarn puffs on them. I hear that the Bow Hush is pretty hard to beat. I've never had to resort to using limb savers, and I don't think you will have to either once you get the brace height up and a decent set of silencers on it.

Don't give up, they are great bows!

Doug
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
I also have mine set at 8.25 and I know it is a higher brace. I do not get any noise and or hand shock. I do have a set of rubber silencers on the string. The bow string is from Chad and it is not FF.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I've been using beaver fur for string silencers on my recurves for years with great results. I've also used wool and rubber. Eh, to each his own.
As far as my problem with hand shock with this bow I've e-mailed Chad and he has replied with a couple of suggestions that I am going to try.
I know how to tune a bow fairly well so the noise of the string is not really my main concern. I can tweek it into a little more silence and then finish silencing it with string silencers. My concern is the hand shock I'm getting from the bow that in my eyes is unusual. I'll try the suggestion that Chad has made and post the results if anybody is interested. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

JOHN
I reckon so

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
Never had any problem with any of my CM's, all smooth & quiet. They all settle right down at around 8.25".  I use Musk Ox Wool puffs...

Also, I find Dacron strings to be much more quiet than FF...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
I only used B50 string with silencers.
Chad is the man and he'll get it worked out I'm sure.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
I can't really add anything other than I shoot my H2 at 8.25 with a D97 string and bow hush and I love it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©