3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carrying deer  (Read 823 times)

Offline tree stand

• Trad Bowhunter
carrying deer
« on: May 26, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
just purchased a 4runner and wondered how you guys without trucks carried their deer.  thought about buying a cargo carrier for the trailer hitch.  any imput would be appreciated.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: carrying deer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
I have a hitch haul that I put in my hitch of my car.It has a 500 lb capacity.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Hitch haul/car arrier? Have one on my Jeep Liberty. Nice and low to ground so you don't have to lift too high.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
when you do put it on the carrier for the trip home, wrap it in a tarp.  Less offensive to non-hunters.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Just get a big cooler and quarter the deer up and put it on ice. The meat is better that way. I even bone them out when I shoot an elk. I leave all the inedible stuff for the coyotes.
Gary

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
when you do put it on the carrier for the trip home, wrap it in a tarp.  Less offensive to non-hunters.
That one blindsided me. Evoked some emotion in me. Not sure how I feel about that. The subject might make a good thread.

Growing up in Wisconsin in the sixties and seventies, it was so common to see vehicles running south on HWY 41 with deer strapped on hoods and on tailgates. It was the norm. Never heard anyone complain about it.

Why should things be different now. It is still a tradition, more people do it now than years past, yet the urge exists in us to be politically correct so not to hurt anyones feelings.

Does that help, or does it take the reality of hunting away from the public eye and create a deeper sensitivity to it when one does encounter it.

Again, not sure exactly how I feel about it. I am VERY concerned with maintaining a positive image of bowhunting, but my gut reaction to this is to say NO...dont cover it up. Im not ashamed of it, its a fact of life and always has been. Because people who eat beef dont actually see dead cows, doesnt make them any less dead.

Didnt there used to be a law in Wisconsin that a deer had to be tagged and clearly visible while being transported?

What do others think about this?

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I know here in NJ it used to be that a deer being transported had to be in clear view, but I noticed that that was changed sometime in recent years.

Now the regulations read: "Be discrete when transporting your deer to and from a check station, butcher or taxidermist."

I also use a hitch haul cargo carrier.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
I have a Jeep that I use a hitch haul on, they work good, and you don't have to pick the deer up real high to get it on to the thing. And that's a good thing if your a pipsqueak like me   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
If for whatever reason I don't have my Jeep available, I just put'em in the back seat or trunk.

As far as covering up and being discreet, I too am not sure how I feel about that. I think stmpthmpr made a few valid points.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
I agree with Stmpthmpr in principle, to a degree, but more important to me is keeping the meat from drying out or getting dirty.  

The only time I've transported an animal outside a vehicle is when I had to ask my now ex-wife to carry a BIG 5x5 whitetail home from an area that had exploded with ticks while I took off to work for a few days.  She refused to have that tick-covered carcass in the vehicle with her, our two kids, and a bird dog.  Fair enough...I tied it to the roof rack and tied a tarp around it to minimize drying.  Well, the road wind quickly shredded the tarp around the antlers.  In the five hour drive home, she had about a hundred men pull up alongside, give her the thumbs up, hold up a piece of paper with their phone number, etc...
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »
I've had the back seat out of my car and put them in there. I've had tied on the top of the car, I even had one sitting up in the passenger seat, and that one got more looks then any of them. I never worried about public image before. Now that we seem to be wondering about it.... I'll still get it home any way I can.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
i use a hitch hauler, great things they are

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 05:24:00 AM »
We use Hitch Hauls on both our trucks.  Beats trying  to lift a big bodied ND buck into the bed alone (particularly my wife's big F350)!  

We leave a 4x6 tarp and bungees on each haul that are used to wrap up the deer & secure it.  Keeps the critter clean on the drive home.

Use 2 wheeled game cart to get them to the truck, move around the yard to wash & hang for skinning & butchering...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
I debone mine when it hits the ground.It goes into ziplocks and a cooler for the ride home.We have the call in check system now so bringing them out whole is not manditory any more.

I think the hitch haulers is easiest if you have to bring one home or to a check station whole.Some even tilt so you can just drag a deer up onto it.Covering it is an option you guys can choose.It does not bother me seeing one in the open but some people it does.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
Hitch-haul on my 4runner.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I even had one sitting up in the passenger seat, and that one got more looks then any of them  
Jerry, now that one made me laugh, never thought of doing that before    :biglaugh:
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
When I was young we use to put our deer on the fender. Going north up old Hwy 27 when it was a 2 lane it was fun to see the bucks heading back south on the car fenders.

Some things have changed since those days, Highways are now Expressways, cars have no fenders, and God forbid, you might offend a non hunter with an exposed deer carcass.

This picture was taken in 1951 with my first buck on the fender of my Dad's 1948 Hudson.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
That's a great pic Ron...

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Ron, Are you sure thats not a Nash?  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©