3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share some Tradional Memories!!!  (Read 150 times)

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
Share some Tradional Memories!!!
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Lets share some hunting memories that is in the back of your mind;  I will start with one where my wife and I were hunting Montana. We had taken the day off and had left Kallispel, Mt going southeast where the road was straight going with forest on both sides when on our left was a grocery store and bar built together and I stopped for some snacks. Laying on the wooden front porch was two dogs as I went in. I turned to the right as I entered and the local cowboys(real cowboys) were talking and having some drinks.To my right was an old fashion bar where you put your boot up on a brass rail on the floor. Then behind the bar was a beautiful mounted Bull elk on a wood plaque and on the bottom on the wood was a green Zwickey four blade Eskimo broadhead. What a great BH for hunting elk traditional. What a memory that has been for me as I could imagine hunting that big monarch in the forest with that green BH.
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share some Tradional Memories!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
my favorite memory is of when my first trad bow arrived at my house. it was a bear super mag. 48 55@28. i was about 11 at the time so i was only pulling back to about 22" i was out all day shooting until my fingers where raw even though i was wearing a glove
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share some Tradional Memories!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Mine would be the first year I started bow hunting with a recurve. I traded my wheels in for a 76' Bear Black Panther Hunter, 52 long and 50/55.  I practiced the whole summer non stop.
 The second day of bow season my wife dropped me off on state land at 6am. She said she would meet me there at dark, with a sort of worried look on her face. I assured her all would be fine and I set out for the day.
 I had a ration of dry cereal and two bottles of water. I spent the day still hunting through giant pine clusters, into oak flats, scanned waterholes, and ended up near dusk sitting next to a corn field planted by the DNR.
 I was watching a small doe make it's way to the corn field from an open CPR field on my left. I slowly stood up not paying attention to anything around me. I heard a twig snap behind me and this tiny doe was looking at me not 10 yds away.  I didn't know what to do, so I froze. She bounded off into the corn which made me notice the large group of deer comming down the side of the corn. I forgot about the doe in the other field and got into ready position.
 I focused on what looked like a big doe in the group and let the string slip. I watched my first arrow miss low and stick in the dirt. I quickly knocked another cedar while the deer were wondering what that sound was and shot at the same deer again. I watched that arrow bury right up to the fletch behind the shoulder. All the deer bolted and my heart was pounding in my ears!!
 Waiting for that 1/2 hour was nearly impossible. I walked slowly out into the corn and found my first arrow. Two feet beyond that was the front half of my cedar. I looked down the row of dry brown corn stalks and saw it had been painted by the deer I shot. Now I was really excited! Not 40 yds on the trail and my first traditional harvest was lying on it's side, with the other half of my arrow pointing toward the sky. I was so pumped up and went to look at my prize.
 I quickly noticed two bumps on it's head and was still happy but disappointed that it was a button buck. I drug the deer to the meeting area for my wife and another bowhunter who was much older than me was getting ready to leave. I told him how I shot the deer and I was a little disappointed in it being a button buck, and only my second deer at the time. He looked me in the eye and re-assured me any animal taken with a bow is a trophy, especially with traditional equipment. He said I would look more carefull next time and to enjoy what God had given me.
 I was HOOKED!!!!! That was almost 7 years ago and I still get the same rush every time!
Sorry for the bad picture, I had deer blood on my hunting shirt and the wife wouldn't let me wear it in the car,LOL!

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©