3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first try at tying on feathers..  (Read 2204 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first try at tying on feathers..
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
They fly great RedTx.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Nice work, classic looking.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Very nice buddy.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
beautiful work.
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Guys, please accept my apology here. It never hit me until Arraflinger said to cheat and glue them on first. Well that is exactly what I did with the first 4 arrow pictures that I posted here, I used fletch tape to attach the feathers to the shaft. Then I wrapped them with the black silk thread. They did look pretty darn nice wrapped that way. But I felt that I Cheated myself and left you guys down, having you all thinking that they were really only wrapped on. I fell in love with Trad Archery, make my own bows and make my own arrows from square stock with a hand plane and sand paper. And I always wanted to take my arrows one step more towards primitive arrows. When I started this thread with the title I just tied on my first feathers, I did do so. But not really in the way I wanted it to be. I guess being an old fart of 58, sometimes the mind doesn't work like it used to:) So after realizing my big mistake, I decide to really tie on the feathers without the aid of any glue or tape. I made a feather holder from the rubber gasket for my dip tube, I wanted this to hold the feathers in the approximate area on the shaft till I got the serving thread started. It worked pretty well, then after I got the serving started, I slid the feather holder towards the back of the feathers and kept on tying them up. Things were going kinda ok, but not as well as I expected. But I kept going and when I got to the rear end of the three feathers, they were not lined up as well as I liked. So I gave it some thought and decided to just push the feathers into the position I wanted them to be in. That worked really well. The thread was holding them tight, but I was able to slide them to where I wanted them to be in alignment. So these two pictures below are the real deal, I promise. No glue, no tape. Nothing but wild turkey feathers attached with black silk thread. And much to my amazement, when I was done, they are the best looking arrows I have ever fletched up. I even shortened up the length of the serving in front and behind the feathers. It just seemed too long on the first 4 arrows. God I am loving this stuff:) Sorry for misleading all you fine gentlemen. Roy  

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
All right, Roy - this has got to stop! You go from Outstanding to damned near Perfect in one thread - how do the rest of us stand a chance? Fantasticly beautiful job, my friend. No apologies needed for the others - ol' "fumble fingers me" would have to do them that way probably - and most likely a lot of other folks too.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
If our forfathers had had fletch tape they woulda used it, who in their right mind wouldn't?? well excepting Roy  :rolleyes:    :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
You're such a realist, Dano - just one of the things I like about you - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I read somewhere they discovered some fletchings with hide glue on them. Heck it's prolly more work that way anyhow. I say if it is in the "spirt of tradition" that's all that maters.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Dano ya bring up a good point.  :archer:

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Nice arrows, but I want your house  :D
Dances with Turtles