3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which pack to pack out meat?  (Read 464 times)

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
Which pack to pack out meat?
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I need to get a frame pack in hopes of getting a chance to pack out meat this upcoming season.    I was talking to someone this morning and they had only gotten about 2 animals packed out before the smaller aluminum tubing failed. He said the Bullpac was much more comfortable and has held up very well after many animals.Do any of you have any experience with the Kelty Cache Hauler, Cabela's Alaskan Guide Frame, or the Bullpac? Thanks for the help!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which pack to pack out meat?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I use the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Frame, I hauled in the double bull, my pack and stool.  Most of the time it was to mile hike in and 2 mi. out.  Although that is not the weight of 150 lbs. of meat, it stood up for two seasons and everything looked fine on it.  I guess they sell them for about $100.  But I would go with something
heavy-duty, the Alaskan guide back frame weighs all of 7 lbs. I do have to say, it is the most comfortable frame that I have used.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
I have used what was termed a freighter frame for over 20 years. I think it is similar to Alaskan guide frame. I carry my camp in on the frame , hunt with a day pack, and haul meat out on frame if I got lucky. Mike

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Most of the larger freighter frames with a fold down shelf are good. What really makes the difference are in the padded waist belts and shoulder straps. With heavy loads, the ideal is to have a pack with alot of adjustability so that you can distribute the weight between the hips and the shoulders and get a perfect fit. I prefer 60 to 70 percent of the wieght on my hips. Insufficient padding with make an otherwise tolerable pack a long and miserable trip.

I also like the "moose bag" type packs. They have one main compartment with a couple outside pockets. Aside from not liking to look through ten pockets to find something when it is ALWAYS in the last pocket you look in!! LOL!!... when you can bag meat and put it inside the pack, it keeps it contained and close to your back. This is good if you are in the mountains and want to bone something out and pack it in one trip.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Im getting another Bull pac.  I had one a few years ago and sold it.  Have had a bunch of packs and frames since and for just halling meat it cant be beat!  Its not that great to hunt with on but I pack in set up camp and hunt from there with a day pack.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
I also like the "moose bag" type packs. I have used one for many years that I bought at Sportsmans Warehouse. Whatever you get make sure it has a chest strap. It makes a lot of difference when the weights get heavy. Gary

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi, I'm not familiar with the moose bags but it sounds like the pack I got from Go Lite last year for a hunt in CO . It was their Pinnacle pack which is soft sided. It worked surprisingly well packing out boned out meat. Very lite pack and very durable. Lots of adjustments. Might be worth a look. Good luck on your trip. JG

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi, I'm not familiar with the moose bags but it sounds like the pack I got from Go Lite last year for a hunt in CO . It was their Pinnacle pack which is soft sided. It worked surprisingly well packing out boned out meat. Very lite pack and very durable. Lots of adjustments. Might be worth a look. Good luck on your trip. JG

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
I do what herd bull and stumpthumpr do.  Believe my pack is also called a freighter frame.  Have had it around 30 years.  Very similar to, if not the same as, the Cabela's Alaskan.  Have used it to pack in a lot of camps and pack out a fair number of elk, not all mine, of course. Never had a failure.  There are probably more comfortable packs around.  But this one is fairly inexpensive, and it's all I could afford when I bought it.  Never had the need to buy another.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I day hunt with a Dwight Schuh hunting pack. It's basically a nylon-lined fleexe bag and fanny pack on a light Kevlar Peak 1 frame and is narrow enough to navigate through brush and draw and shoot without obstruction, also very quiet. If I want or need to, when I make a kill I can detach the bag portion and use the frame as a meat pack, carrying the bag in my hand. While it doesn't have a shelf, it does have a flare-out at the bottom that helps. For deer, caribou and pronghorn, it's all I'd ever need. For serious packing I use an old aluminum freighter frame with a fold-down shelf, padded hip and shoulder straps ... a heavy-duty hauler. It too has a detachable bag so that I can do as Herdbull and others and pack in a serious camp and be set to pack out serious meat. Don't know the brand but it wasn't expensive and it's the style you're after, methinks. Dave

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
For comfort look to kifaru. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. I think the Cabela's Guide Frame will suit me well enough.

That kifaru is a nice looking pack!

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
Bull Pac
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »
I have one of the barneys frame pacs from barneys sports chalet anchorage alaska.  I'd highly consider them if you're looking at a solid frame style pack.  

Much more comfortable then a cableas frame.   They are quite a bit more spendy but worth every cent.  Used mine guiding and on a few sheep hunts.  Haven't done much with it these last few years but wont trade it for the world!  

internals are nice till it comes to packing out heavy packs full of bloody meat.  Not only making a mess of gear (unless you like putting meat in pastic bags of some sort) there atleast for alaska purposes just is not enough room for long packs with large animals.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Seems like you've gotten some good advice, and now I'll add mine  :)   Heavy meat loads will kill you over time. I've struggled trying to find a pack that I can hunt and then pack meat with and I've found that they never carry as well as a good freighter-frame. So if you decide to get a frame, buy it for the harness system. My personal choice is the Blacks Creek frame because the harness system fits me well - and that's the only important thing when you're hauling heavy loads.

Good luck with it.
Is it September yet?!

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Seems like you've gotten some good advice, and now I'll add mine  :)   Heavy meat loads will kill you over time. I've struggled trying to find a pack that I can hunt and then pack meat with and I've found that they never carry as well as a good freighter-frame. So if you decide to get a frame, buy it for the harness system. My personal choice is the Blacks Creek frame because the harness system fits me well - and that's the only important thing when you're hauling heavy loads.

Good luck with it.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Ive' carried out whole boned out Dall Sheep and Mt Goats with a Moose bag/freighter frame. They'll hold up as long as you will I suppose!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
The best frame is the one that fits your hunting partner the best!

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I use the alaskan guide frame from Cabelas and like it. However I got a Badlands 2800 split internal frame for my birthday and may give it a try this coming season. I can see it would be an easier pack to hunt with then my cabela's.
If you're not first you're last

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lytic:
I use the alaskan guide frame from Cabelas and like it. However I got a Badlands 2800 split internal frame for my birthday and may give it a try this coming season. I can see it would be an easier pack to hunt with then my cabela's.
Were you able to shoot comfortably with the Alaskan Guide Frame on? Just curious, where are you located in Washington?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©