3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hey that's me : )  (Read 378 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey that's me : )
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I got a pleasant surprise today when I went to the Tradgang page... low and behold I see a picture of me haha  Anyways I guess I should post the story of that deer, which by the way is my first traditional harvest...  I had made plans for that Saturday morning to hunt deer till late morning then go hunt turkeys w/ my Great Uncle Den. He was coming up to our property around 7am and I was going to already be in my spot way before that. My ladder stand was in a small pine tree in the middle of the old strip job field near a place where I had been seeing deer crossing the field. It was only about 6 feet off the ground b/c the tree was that small. At about 6am I decided to do some rattling. Not sure why I did that so early b/c it was pretty dark out. I think it was from the excitement of getting the day started. About 20 minutes later I could hear something approaching through the frosty goldenrod from my left and behind me. If the deer passes by on my side of the other pines, it would be a less than 10 yard shot, but... the deer stayed on the other side and we had a stare off for what like seemed forever. The sun was shining directly into the bucks eyes so I'm thinking he just wasn't sure what I was. As the buck circled to get downwind of me I picked a lane between 2 other pine trees and waited. As the deer passed through I gave a grunt and he stopped. I picked a spot and let the arrow go. Halfway there I lost sight of the arrow in the dark shadow cast from the trees as well as the fact that it was still just getting light. I'll say this, I was not too dark to take the shot. It was ethical. I just lost sight of the arrow but I heard it hit hard. Where? not sure. The deer ran and I waited 15 minutes and went to the spot where it stood and looked for blood and marked the spot. I looked at my watch and it was 6:25am so I decided to walk down the lane that ran through the strip job field to the gate and go wait on the tailgate of my truck till Den arrived at 7. As I was walking down the lane I happened to look up and saw the pink and white fletchings of my arrow. Another glance and I saw my buck. He had run through the field and died 10 feet from the lane about 100 yards from the gate. Can't beat that! My uncle told me later that he knew I got something b/c he could see my smile as he drove up. It was a great day and that buck went on tour before I took it to the processing place. It hangs in my living room where each day I can look at it and relive that great day through the memories.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hey that's me : )
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Congrats on a great looking deer.  Enjoy your week in the spot light!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Great job!  I'm kinda confused about the "still getting light", and "The sun was shining directly into the bucks eyes" part though.  Good to get that first one under your belt.  Awesome ain't it?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
i guess that doesn't make sense... where the deer was when i shot was in among a bunch of pine trees and w/ the shadows it was really dark but where he was standing when we had the stare down was a spot was the one place the sun happened to be shining on the field... i dunno, either way it was an awsome thing.  oh i hit the deer right behind the shoulder and the loud crack i heard was the arrow hitting the opposite shoulder blade

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Nice job!  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Congrats on your first trad. harvest.   :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Well done, Brad! Is that a short-riser Silvertip? It looks great (I'm biased)! What bow / arrow combination did you use on your buck? Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Congrats !!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine buck
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Great job! Great Story!

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
congrats!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
congrats mate, great deer great bow   :clapper:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Now, what you do, invite some friends or relatives over. Just happen to have the page up and your grinning mug shining out in all its radiant glory. Tell them that this is YOUR website.  :D  

Ya know, it's no lie. This week it is ALL YOURS!!  :readit:  
Congrats on the buck, the story, having a hunting uncle and a place to hunt. It's all good!

I actually did that when they stuck me up there. My sister was in from Oregon, and was really wowed by my website.  :bigsmyl:  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Congrats
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
Good eye Ben.  It's a regular riser Silvertip by Dave. It's 58# @28 and I used a Gold Tip arrow w/ a 125gr 2 blade Steelforce head. I use 125 2 blade Magnus Stingers now. It's shedua wood riser w/ zeebrawood limbs and a zeebrawood stripe, elk antler limb tips w/ antler knobs and of course the checkered grip... I'll have to try and get a pic of it to post.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Killdeer, I like your idea  :biglaugh:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Congrats
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©