3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch shape?  (Read 338 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fletch shape?
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
What would be considered the best and most efficient shaped and length Fletch for hunting?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch shape?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
This one may just open up a can of worms...too many types, and too many tasks a hunter could want to accomplish...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
As many opinions out there as there are navels. Do a search, this has cropped up a couple hundred times.

Killdeer~is it too late for popcorn?  :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I've shot a bunch of different configs and I can't say that there is much difference between any of them.  Five inch 3-fletch or 4-5 inch 4-fletch works well for most all wood arrow broadhead hunting arrows.  Standard and low height parabolic or bananas are probably the quietest.  Those old maxi fletch bananas could be pretty loud, as are a raptor or P&Y cut.  The tall or pointy fletch vibrate in flight.  I shoot a lot of shield just for the look.  Mussatto calls it the "Hiss of Death".    :scared:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I like the "traditional" cut. I dont know wether they fly as well or not... but they sound like a "SKILSAW" goin downrange to the target!!!

I always cut the little sharp tips off right before hunting season to quiet em down, I just like to see everybodys heads turn when I shoot one at a 3-D shoot!!
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
As long as they are all from the "same wing" and fastened to only one end of the arrow.  They usually fly pretty well.  Don't put them on backwards, though...they will act a little strange and make a funny sound.

Really, whatever "trips your trigger."  Leave the "efficient" part out of it.  

JMHO   :)
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
The best for me - 4 x 4" low profile Bananas or Parabolics....   ;)
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Never cared for the four inch feathers.  I am an oldtimer and my arrows have feathers that I burn into shape.  They are 5 3/4 inch long, med/high profile, in shield, parabolic, and banana cut.

I love the look of a large feather in a quiver, just makes me think of compound bows, with overdraws when I seen a seven inch cap, with what passes for feathers now-a-days.

I guess I am a bit of a romantic when it comes to traditional bowhunting, and feathers.  I know I don't need all that feather on my arrows. Heck they bare shaft out to thirty yards.  

I know I could get a  faster, and  quieter arrow by going lower profile and changing shapes.

I am just in love with the look, that I copied from a set of old Ben Pearson and Fred Bear arrows I purchased in the 60's.  They had those 5 1/2 high profile feathers, with that 11 1/4 inch cap, just beautiful....I guess if Tred can do it the Barta way,  I can do it my way.  You should do it your way too......
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
3-5 5/8" shield (burned) Natural barred wild turkey feathers for all the reasons Scott just mentioned and no other real reason.  I like feathers and bright arrows.  

Trap

"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
:wavey:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
The shortest length and lowest profile that will consistently stabilize your broadhead is the best. Experimenting will let you know what works best for you.

I am experimenting with the fletch JC talked about 4 fletch 4"x.5" bananas, as well as the Adcock 2.5"x.5" in four fletch and both are stabilizing the wide magnus very nicely. Others have also commented on how quiet they are, thats the reason for me switching from the 3-5" shields I used for years.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
I don't find much difference between 4"-5" feathers, but to my ear, shield cut are much more noisy in flight than parabolics.  Stand off to the side and & downrange, have some shoot an arrow by, and you can hear the difference.  

I've never tested it but I suspect the parabolics might hold velocity better over distance s they seem to have a bit less drag.

I've seen now that someone is making a 2" feather called a "Razr" or something like that, for use with broadheads.  Probably works just as well as a Blazer vane.

I don't shoot feathers much anymore though.  Vanes are far more quiet, far less expensive, more durable, waterproof, and easier to work with...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©