3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow weight  (Read 302 times)

Offline axehind

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow weight
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering what is the minimum arrow weight for a 55# or 60# recurve? I have seen a few formulas but they seem to differ some. I've seen from 5 grains per pound up to 10 grains per pound. I use the recurve for small game like tree rats, woodchucks, etc, etc, etc... Because I am only worried about small game, I'm not as worried about penetration as I am about the speed of the arrow (less reaction time) and how flat it's trajectory is. Please advise.
The most heinous and the most cruel crimes of which history has record of has been committed under the cover of religion or equally noble motives.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »
It has been said that with fast flight strings hunting bows with very light carbon arrows will shorten the life the bow.  Draw length and the individual bow makes it an unpredictable equation.  however, all bows will tolerate lighter weight cedars, which will run from 400 grains and up.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »
I understand it as 8 to 12 grains per pound of draw weight in general.  That being said you should be somewhere in the 440 to 660 grain range.  General rules are made to be broken but I don't think I would feel comfortable going with any less than 400 grains, as laddy says.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
I would neverv use 5 grains per lb. Usually 10 is the happy medium.I like to even go a little heavier then that
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I would recommend anything less than 10 grains per pound, like others of said, why jeopardize integrity of the longevity of your bow.

Give yourself a challenge, not your equipment !

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
10 gr a lb min if you want a long living bow with no problems
Gord

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
Contrary to the often repeated dogma of 10gpp, I don't think you're automatically going to blow up your bow if you shoot a light arrow.  Some bow makers place an 8gpp minimum in their warranty statement, but a lot of archers have been shooting lighter arrows for a long time.

Given that you said you'd be shooting a 55-60lb recurve, I don't think you'll find too many popular hunting arrows that   spine properly, and  are too light, with a 100+ grain point and reasonable arrow length.  (400 grains @ 60lbs = 6.6gpp)

Now, before I get my butt jumped here, I'm NOT preaching for the use of light arrows for hunting.  My own hunting arrows weigh 10+gpp.  The benefits of a heavier arrow far outweigh the loss of trajectory, IMHO.  Also, if you shoot the same arrows for small game and big game, you don't have to compensate for the different trajectories.

You may be an exceptional shooter, but at the ranges I would take a shot at a tree rat, I don't see an appreciable gain in accuracy with lighter arrows.

To answer your question more directly, I would personally suggest no less than 400 grains, but a better suggestion would be to ask the guy that built your bow!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Curtis Haden:
You may be an exceptional shooter, but at the ranges I would take a shot at a tree rat, I don't see an appreciable gain in accuracy with lighter arrows.
Personally, I am more accurate with heavier arrows out to around 28 yards.  Lighter arrows help my elevation at longer distances, but I don't group as well with them at 25 yards and in.  They are much less forgiving if your realease is not perfect or you torque the bow a little bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©