3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 160 Snuffer vs. Magnus I 4 blade ...  (Read 445 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
160 Snuffer vs. Magnus I 4 blade ...
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Howdy folks,

I had good luck with the 160 Snuffer last deer season and was impressed with the blood and rapidity of my deer's demise.  But, bigger is always better, right?  So now I'm looking at the Magnus I 4 blades in my tackle box and thinking if a big 3 blade is good, a bigger 4 blade should be better.

Any opinion from folks who've used both?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: 160 Snuffer vs. Magnus I 4 blade ...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
No, bigger isn't always better.  Depends what you're shooting and shooting at.  Magnus is a good head.  Should have a fair amount of bow/arrow weight to shoot either of those heads for best penetraation.  Bigger heads are more susceptible than smaller heads to wind planing, though design and arrow tuning also has some to do with that.  The broader/wider the head, the less likely it is to penetrate heavy bone.  In short, if the Snuffer works for you, the Magnus I likely will work as well.  Is one better than the other?  Probably not.  Just different.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with the big Snuffer, but tons with the Magnus I. Great head that penetrates extremely well for it's size and zero flight issues on a well fletched, well tuned arrow.

You get the benefit of a bleeder that can bend out of the way on heavy bone contact....much more likely to bend than break.

If your bow gives enough energy to push the big Snuffer through deer you won't have any problem with the Magnus I.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Charlie, what kind of velocity would you consider minimum for a 540 grain arrow with these big broadheads?
               Thanks

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I shoot and really like both.
Each have advantages over the other.

Even though the snuffer only has three blades, it actually makes a bigger hole and penetrates less than the Magnus 4 blade.
Push both through a sheet of paper and test the hole by opening it up and you will see what I mean.  
An advantage of the 4 blade is that the bleeder blades give way if you inadvertently hit a bone.

Snuffers are my favorite for bears and even though I have killed moose with a 160 snuffer, I prefer the magnus line over snuffers for moose.
I find the snuffer is easier and faster to sharpen (3 blades rather than 4 and the blades are already at a set angle) and you don't have to worry about the bleeder blades coming loose or changing position from your quiver, etc.

I have a fairly long draw length (29 1/2 to 30 depending on the bow) and the bows I shoot these days are in the 71 to 75 lb range. I used to shoot heavier so I always liked big heavy broadheads.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I to have killed deer w/ both and there is no comparison in damage.Snuffer wins hands down.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Thx for the feedback folks.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Pat... difficult question to answer so I'll just give a ball park answer. If you can get that arrow going 170 fps or faster, you'll do just fine.

Blew one of that weight, cruisin about 176, clear through and onto the ground on a bull elk once... nothin but ribs comin and goin.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks for responding Charlie..

Thirty five years ago I hunted with 80+ pounds. Today, with a few aches and pains, I'm shooting bows in the 45 pound range, hence my question.
Just for grins I just chrono'd a bow that is marked 43# @ 28, I draw almost 29". Shot an Axis 400 with a 200 grain fp on front. The arrow weighed 531 grains and I got 171 for an average of 5 shots. The high was 172 and the low was 169.. I sure like the bigger broadheads, including the Snuffer 160.
All I hunt is deer and pigs, hopefully this rig will get it done !
Guess I'll give 'em a whirl this season.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Those look like great numbers.  171 fps at almost 12 gpp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©