3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any trad gangers in the bangor/castine, Maine area?  (Read 326 times)

Offline pobs

• Trad Bowhunter
any trad gangers in the bangor/castine, Maine area?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm moving from Hawaii to Castine, Maine in august for college at Maine Maritime Academy. I know basically nothing about the area as far as where I can shoot (3D ranges or traditional ranges) where I can hunt, how I'd go about getting a hunting license etc. if anybody knows anything and could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: any trad gangers in the bangor/castine, Maine area?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm right outside of Bangor, in Carmel. There's a 3D range at the Old Town Archery shop, along with indoor leagues there during the winter. I'm not sure what's going on down in the Castine area, but I've got a few targets out back you're welcome to come over and shoot.

Be sure to join the Maine Traditional Archers while you're up here. It's a fine organization and we have several shoots each year, including the State Traditional Championships, August 17th in Durham. This is near Freeport and there's plenty of shopping at LLBeans, including a new Hunting/Fishing store. #0 minutes or so down the road is Portland, which has a new Cabelas at Scarborough.

PM me for any details or with any questions you may have. Oh, bring long underwear! This isn't the islands, Brah! It gets cold up here, lol, but you're going to a fine school.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Speaking of hunting in Maine, I'll be in the Deblois for bear in September which I guess is an hour from Bangor. What's the terrain like, hardwoods, pines, how should I adapt my camo.  Sorry to highjack the thread.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline pobs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin L.:
I'm right outside of Bangor, in Carmel. There's a 3D range at the Old Town Archery shop, along with indoor leagues there during the winter. I'm not sure what's going on down in the Castine area, but I've got a few targets out back you're welcome to come over and shoot.

Be sure to join the Maine Traditional Archers while you're up here. It's a fine organization and we have several shoots each year, including the State Traditional Championships, August 17th in Durham. This is near Freeport and there's plenty of shopping at LLBeans, including a new Hunting/Fishing store. #0 minutes or so down the road is Portland, which has a new Cabelas at Scarborough.

PM me for any details or with any questions you may have. Oh, bring long underwear! This isn't the islands, Brah! It gets cold up here, lol, but you're going to a fine school.
awesome, thanks for the info, yeah I get told by a lot of people it;s a great school. and yes I've got all my warm clothes for the winter

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Back in another lifetime I owned property in Stetson..Beautiful area...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
POBS, give me a yell when you get up here.

Dave, The cover varies from bog and swamp to pine flats and some smaller hills, and the occasional hardwood stand or ridge. Depends on where your guide has his baits set. Since the Maine pine woods are darker and thicker than most, my favorite camo is Viet-Nam era tiger stripe, in green and black. This works really well up here, but most any dark pattern will be fine.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline davidt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I am just up the road in Orland . Last I knew castine has an extended season from sept to dec for deer . Do a search for maine inland fisheries and wildlife . Every thing you need is there for info. You will need proof of saftey course or former lic. Not much around near here as far as winter shooting goes. Oldtown is at least an hour away. We just had a local 3d shoot and I was one of four trad. shooters. The duck hunting is pretty good if your into shogunning. Most all the land around is private property but people are pretty good about letting you hunt it. E mail me if I can anwer any questions I will try. By the way lots of locals go to the academy so you should meet some hunters. Good luck, [email protected]

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin, I do have some tiger stripe and alot of realtree hardwoods in a darker pattern.  I figure on taking alittle bit of everything to match what is best for cover and weather.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©