3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tusker BroadHead Update  (Read 543 times)

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
Tusker BroadHead Update
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Products Update
Tusker Broad Heads

John Teitzel from Tusker has been busy improving his range of Broad Heads, his latest improvements are to the 125gr Javelin and the 155gr Concorde.

125gr JAVELIN
 John has changed the dye set so the 125gr Javelin now has 11/32  ferrule, it now takes the larger broad head adaptors to screw into aluminium or carbon shafts or fits neatly on 11/32  &  23/64 Timber shafts, the longer ferrule also gives the Broad head added strength up front.

155gr CONCORDE
-  The Concorde was a very popular head in the old days with its long cutting edge and good  arrow flight ability.
John has changed the material used in the manufacturing of the Concorde head, the steel he now uses for the blades is (1.2mm) thickness, making it a very robust head, still with its good penetration and flight characteristics.
All head models are available in (glue on), or in the new Tusker  6 packs with aluminium adaptors inserted.
View images at -   www.bowhuntingaustralia.com

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tusker BroadHead Update
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I like the change to to the Javelin, I wanted to try them but I did not like the 5/16 ferrule....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Good news, I realy like all the Tusker heads and it sounds like the changes mentioned will make them even better. Can't wait to see some of the new ones. I'm shooting the Aztecs right now, highly recommended, sturdy broadheads and John is a true gentleman and a great guy to deal with!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Good job on the improvements!   :thumbsup:  

Now you can work on a 3/1, 325 grain glue on 2 blade broadhead...HINT!   :D
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Good news mate, well done. These B'heads are a good solid head and have taken more game in Oz than any other head out there.

I've always liked the Concord, I'll order some of you John when I get back to a friendly country. Best regards to Carol too. I don't know what she see's in you....lol!

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
John....
When will the new 11/32 125 grn Javelin be available....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the feed back boys.
Slowbowin,
I think i will have to fill them with lead to get it up to 325gr, that would be mighty thick steel, I don't think my punch would like that to much. Pete Ward always talks about big heavy heads aswell, do you fellows want these heads glue on or screw in ?

Hi AL
Be good to catch up again.
Were off to the Trad shoot at Gladstone next weekend,I reckon should be 200+ shooters.

Mike
 The new Javelin are out already, you can get them from my site and I am not sure if Kustom King has any in stock (maybe still only 5/16), you could try them, they will have to restock soon anyway.
I am after dealers if you know of anyone interested send me a MP or email.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Hi John, the new improvements sound good.
 A thicker / heavier Aztec would be my preference!!

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
I personally wish for a glue on around 325...those using screw in arrows can get there using steel adapters with most heads, but if you're shooting woodies it's another story.

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
If my punch could take the extra thickness material the best i could do would be a Aztec with 1.2mm blade(not sure in thous)that would make it around 220gr I do have the Concorde available in 190gr at the moment, but I dont advertize it because it is not a popular weight in Aussi.
I will try adding some photo's.

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »
Ill try again

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
John,
     Punching out thicker blades is not as simple an operation as most people think.

You are spot on with the punch having trouble.

Not that it couldnt be done, but to get the clearance between male and female parts of the dies, as the blade material squishes out under pressure, would require a new press tool with more generous clearances.  

Even with a mate who is a back yard tool maker, thats going to cost a few thousand dollars.

Also, I would imagine the thicker blades, would require a new ferrule die, overwise the extra thick blades would give an oval shaped ferrule.

Another investment of a few thousand dollars.

Add to that, the spot welding would likely need to be reset to higher amps to get a solid weld, it's a lot of trouble and expense, for a very small market.

There is just not enough people who would buy the super heavy heads, for you to recoup the outlay in tooling up expenses.

I know people say wouldnt it be nice for....but its not quite that easy.

If you are ever interested in a new set of punch dies, I have a mate who is a back yard tool maker, but I have him busy for a month or two, lol.

I can pass on his name and phone number if its of any interest to you at some point in the future. He does good work.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
A possible option may be getting the thicker blade shape cut with a CNC controlled wire cutter.

This is an expensive way to do it, cost per blade would be high, maybe a couple of dollars for each blade.

But for a small market thats wants something special.........

I believe the Silver Flames are done with a wire cut process.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks John, very interesting.

Offline Tusker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
You hit the nail on the head there Woody.
Things just get to complicated and expencive for such a simple item.
I think I have a resonably good range of glue on heads for the Trad shooter 100gr to 190gr.
And as we know it is a love for what we do, one will never get rich making BroadHeads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©