3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly or Zwicky  (Read 488 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly or Zwicky
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I dont want to start a debate, but I narrowed it down to 2 heads finally. I just want opinions on which head you prefer and why , the easiest to sharpen, and which flies the best. Its between the 4 blade Zwicky, and the 160 gr grizzly single bevel.   :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly or Zwicky
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Is the Zwickey the Eskimo or Delta{wide one), both are four blade?
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
get them both and see which one flies best, has best penetration or whichever it is your after.  All broadheads fly different.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Hi Rick!  Assuming that I was going to be shooting deer with a bow over 50 lb, I would choose the Zwickey and it would be a Delta, 2 or 4 blade wouldn't matter to me.  I like a wider head than the Grizzlys and the Deltas are right about where I like to be.  I can sharpen either, but many find the  Grizzly's single bevel to be more challenging.  Both are good steel.  Flight wise, the Griz would probably get the nod due to it's weight (more FOC) and narrow width, but I've not had any flight issues with the Deltas, either.  My current broadhead of choice is the Ace Express.  It is very similar to the Delta in shape, but 165 gr for the extra FOC.  Aren't choices fun!    :confused:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I've shot 2 blade zwickey eskimos for a long time.  Tried a set of 4 blades for turkeys last spring and to say the least I never mounted them.  Sharpening the blades with the bleeders in the way and then trying to sharpen the bleeders was a pain.  

For the 2 blades I use the lansky system.  You'll need the extra course (or buy the extra course diamond), the medium and the extra fine (white one).  I tried the super fine this spring and it didnt do me anymore then the extra fine did.  Either way  you can get things spooky sharp using this system.   Works for me anyways.  Never could do a file, or freehand on a stone.

Have used them successfully now from turkeys and grouse up to moose sized animals.....have no desire or need to change or look for a new head.  The 2 blade eskimos have done everything I've ever asked or could want.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
I believe the Zwickey is easier to sharpen for most people.  Both will fly wonderfully from a tuned bow, but the Grizzly will be more flight friendly if bow tune is marginal, especially if right helical fletching is used.

Both are super tough, killin' machines!  Win - win!    :thumbsup:

My 2 cents.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I've shot Zwicky Deltas and Eskimo 4 blades for 35 years.The bleeder blades I sharpen with a file and a steel finishing into the blade so there is no wire edge.I can't see finding a better head anywhere.I have never been disappointed in them.I'm sure the Grizzly is a fine head ,but I've never shot one.  Thanks,  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Cut my daughter's umbilical cord 13 years ago next Weds with a Zwickey Delta. 'Nuff said
DonD

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Zwickey 2 blade Eskimo or No Mercy...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I've shot Zwicky Deltas 4 blade for the past 46 years. I still have and use some of the first deltas I bought. I have tried many bdhds over the years and always end up back with my Zwicky's.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
If you have trouble sharpening a broadhead, get some Magnus broadheads and an Accusharp.  You'll have bare arms in no time.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
The Zwickeys were good enough for Fred before he came out with his head.  Been using the two blade Delta and Eskimo for years.  Will send you one to try if you want. No charge. Picked up a bunch for a buck a piece from a guy that can't hunt anymore.  Frassetter E-mail me if you want one.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
Thanks guys, this helped  :thumbsup:

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Frassettor, check your e-mail.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
They're both great heads. If I had to choose, I'd take the Zwickey because I know that head well and it's preformed great for me. You can't go wrong with either of them tho....  ;)  Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I have shot the 2 blade Eskimo for many years.  Have taken: elk, moose, mt. lion, caribou, grizzley, etc. with no problem.  Easy to sharpen and fly good.  I have no reason to switch.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Zwickey delta hands down..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
If I were shooting Deer I'd pick the Zwickey Delta 4 blade obviously based on my track record with them....and If I was shooting big hogs, I'd shoot the 2 blade Delta.

I don't know what your set up is, or what game your are planning on hunting, so I can't rule out the grizz if you are on the lighter side.

Anyone having trouble sharpening 4 blades...he's a few clips I did.  The bleeders are a cinch!!!

4 blade Sharpening vids
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
Even though they're a pain in the arse to sharpen, I still prefer the big Grizzlys. Once you get the bevel set, they aren't bad to touch up. No worse than any other head.

There's something to be said for the reported benefits of the Grizzlys, especially with a lighter setup, or in the case of a bad hit. Much of it comes in the form of increased confidence in your gear. While most any broadhead on the market is capable of killing any North American game animal, the Grizzlys give me a bit more confidence that I will be able to recover an animal in the case of a marginal or poor hit.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with Zwickeys. I've used plenty of them over the years. In fact, I had 4 Deltas in my quiver this past fall. They're easy to sharpen, and I'm sure they've been responsible for the early demise of more North American game animals than any other broadhead.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©