3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help Me Update My Man Cave  (Read 406 times)

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
Help Me Update My Man Cave
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »

This what it "NORMALLY " looks like.  :rolleyes:  

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help Me Update My Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
The good thing is you have a lot of square footage. The better thing is you don't need much room for deer processing.

Two questions first: What kind of floor does your building have (concrete, carpeted plywood etc.)? And do you have or could you install running water in the building?

With that building, I wouldn't bother with a skinning pole outside. Move it all inside where you're out of the elements.

A simple hoist in the middle of the processing area would be perfect. Electric or chain, it doesn't matter. I think I paid $40 for my 1/4 ton chain hoist, and it works great. Pick up a $20 gambrel too.

As far as knives: I use a guthook knife for skinning and a pair of fillet knives for deboning. For final cuts, I use a long, straight edge carving knife. I also use a bone saw for cutting up the carcass after deboning. I think they’re around $15 or so.

Personally, I don't use a vacuum sealer. One wrap of sling wrap (or plastic food bags) and butcher paper is inexpensive and very effective. I have wild game in my freezer from 2004 that's as good as the day it went in there. Cabela's sells large rolls or butcher paper and dispensers at a reasonable price—much cheaper than the small rolls the grocery stores sell.

I'd suggest adding a counter section out of that plastic material they use for cutting boards. You may be able to get section at a local home center pretty cheap. I apologize, but I don't remember what the material is called.

A decent grinder is a must, in my opinion. You don’t have to go top end for quality though, but I’d stay away from the $50 ones with the plastic cases. I had one of those, and I don’t think it made it through one deer before it broke.

If you can install or have running water, you may want to put in a small washtub for cleaning up afterwards. Good lighting helps too. Maybe think about a couple sets of fluorescent ceiling lights.

Aside from that: some comfortable chairs, a stereo and a small refrigerator for keeping beverages cold wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

It looks like you’ve got a great foundation so far. I’d be interested in seeing the finished product. Good luck.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
The floor of the "shop side" is concrete, it's in great condition. I've got a surround home theatre system hooked up to the color tv, in the other side where the couch & chair is. The reason I was gonns skin outside, & the cut inside was to try to minimize blood inside the building, but this is why I posted was to get suggestions. Thanks.

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Do it inside, just throw some plastic down and there shouldn't be to much blood.

Mike

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by OhioFencing:
Do it inside, just throw some plastic down and there shouldn't be to much blood.

Mike
That's exactly what I do in my garage. When I'm all done, I hose off the tarp outside.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©