3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which angle & why for 4 fletch?  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Which angle & why for 4 fletch?
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Thinking of trying 4 fletch and was wondering on the angle options. What are the pros and cons, and do you need different jigs for each?

Red Dwarf

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which angle & why for 4 fletch?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
Pros : quicker stability

Cons : Slower arrow speed due to extra drag.

There are 2 sets ups, 4 x 90 degrees which are basically evenly spaced or 60/120 where the fletchings are in 2 pairs.

Most jigs can be used to do 4 x 90 by adjusting a screw, however 60/120 as I understand it is the better option as it gives better clearance. You can get a special replacement knock receiver for the better jigs to do 60/120 or you can do the following....

Fletch a Cock and Hen in the same way and then remove the arrow from the knock receiver, then turn the arrow 180 degrees and then put back in the jig and fletch another 2 feathers.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by gilf:
Fletch a Cock and Hen in the same way and then remove the arrow from the knock receiver, then turn the arrow 180 degrees and then put back in the jig and fletch another 2 feathers.
That'll give you a 75/105 four-fletch, which is another otion. That's what I'm currently shooting with 4" low-profile nanners.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
I am using a 4 fletch with 3 inch feathers at 90 degrees with heavy front of center carbon arrows.  I rotate the nocks for best clearance but am not sure it really makes a difference.  They fly just dandy.  One nice thing about short fletches and 90 degrees, you can "eyeball" placement if you don't have a jig.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
If your using a JoJan one of the combination knock adapters is 3x120 on one side and 4 75x105 on the other.  I use 4 shield cut a 75x105.  I really like the setup. Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
The 60-120 post was correct as stated and is how I currently fletch my arrows with 4" feathers.I got the idea from masters of the BB vol 1 Roger R fletchs his that way with 5" I think.

In any event I shoot cock-in and fletch 4 4" useing the cock-in hen feather and flipping it 180

There is an option to do the 75-105 on my jig but I use the standard 3 fletch 120 and than flip the arrow,normally I do both cock feathers than bothe hen's
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
I've been shooting 4 fletch for many years now and have tried all the configurations mentioned above. Have not noticed a difference in clearance or flight among the different set ups. So now I just shoot the 90 degree 4 fletch because it just "feels" right and like some else said you can eyeball it if you don't have a jig. Makes for much easier replacement of a single feather.

Someone in an earlier thread made a propellor analogy that makes a lot of sense, but for me that's just preaching to the choir, I agree completely.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
You guys that shoot 4 X 90 deg. How to you orientate the nock? Do you have a cock feather at 90 deg to the cut out or 2 feathers at 45 deg to the cut out?

Red Dwarf

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Red Dwarf,

I set my nock so the fletching looks like an X from the rear.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I'm shooting 4 fletch (90 degrees) so that I don't have to worry about "indexing" when I nock the arrow.
Fletches are the full length of a Jo-Jan clamp, (6 1/8") and I trim them to .250" in height.

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
R.W. That's pretty slim fletching, I presume that they fly fine for you with no clearance problems.
How do they look when nocked, like an X or a +?

Red Dwarf

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Red Dwarf,

They look like an "X" when nocked. I shoot these from a horsebow. THe long low fletching is traditional with many cultures that have used the composite bows.
These arrows fly great from my Spitfire horsebow.
Where in BC do you hail from? I spent 40 years in the East Kootenays, but work took me to Alberta.

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
i tried using two five inch and two three inch feathers at the ninety degree (staggering the fletches five inch, three inch, five inch, three inch) using as agressive helical as i  can get from the bitzenberger using the "X" nocking method.

it works wonderfully.

ninety degrees, seventy-five degrees...with feathers, it doesn't matter.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
R.W.

I am 15 mins. outside of Nelson; been here about 10 years and love it!!

Donw. Sounds like and interesting mix. I guess it's a case of best setup for each situation: stability, bow clearance,speed etc..
It's good to think outside the box sometimes.

Red Dwarf

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I've tried both 90 & 75/105 and saw no difference. I shoot 75/105 just to be a little different.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
I am shooting 4X3" and I love it nice and quit, I shoot from 285-300gr. on the front, 63lb longbow 670 total gr.

I don't think it matters what degrees you put them

I had a Fletch come off so I only had 3X3" with a broadhead if floo perfect, I might try it for real.

Most of us are way over fletched, all you need is enough to keep it straight.

if your arrow & bow are properly tuned you only need a little Fletch to stere it.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Red,

I took my pre appreticeship training at Selkirk College.

Is the Slocan Valley still full of old hippies, and draft dodgers?   :)  

Lots of GREAT Hunting around there. There are some huge elk in the Pend Orielle(sp) area, and big mulies around Grand Spoons...er, Forks.

Wish I was still in the mountains, too.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I don't see any cons with a 4-fletch setup, only pros ....

- Dropping down from 5" (or longer) feathers to a 4" (or shorter) feathers nets one fletched arrow from two full length feathers and not three.

- No "steerage" problems ... four smaller feathers track an arrow just fine.

- Arrow speed isn't reduced ... in fact, it could be faster because you don't want or need helical, just offset the feathers a degree or two.

- Allows for lower feather height for better shelf/riser clearance.

- There are lotsa theories and likes/dislikes as to which feather angles to use; they all can be made to work well ... I prefer 75x105 or 90x90 ... YMMV.

- Oh yeah, no nock indexing wanted or needed!  ;)

I'm using 4" Vario Hunter feathers at 1/2" height and 75x105 angles with 1.5 degrees offset on a 29" carbon shaft with 350 grains up front for a 585 grain arrow and 29% FOC.  They fly like rocket launched darts with a 52-55# longbow.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
Rob, are they ADs? I shoot a similar setup and was wondering how the ADs would do with that much weight up front.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©