3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead for Elk  (Read 480 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead for Elk
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
OK guys(Killdeer your one of the guys too) I need some help. I'm going on my first ever elk hunt in Sept. and need some broadhead advice. As most of you know I shoot a Morrison Shawnee recurve. It's 55@27 and I draw about 27 1/2. My arrows are 29" from groove AD Trad Lites with 125 3-blade snuffer w/125 grain steel insert. With the arrow insert I have 280 grains up front. My total arrow weight is 600 grains. I have 3- 5 1/4"  feathers on it. Now with the specs out of the way here is the question:
I've heard a lot about penetration on elk and I'm wondering if I should use a 2-blade instead of the 3-blade. If it's not going to make a big difference I'll shoot the snuffers because that's what I normally use. But if it's going to improve my chances of much more penetration then I'll switch for this hunt. I owe the animal this. Please tell me your opinions and experience. Thanks.

The Rookie Elk hunter   :archer:  
Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead for Elk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I"m certainly no expert by any means on this subject having only witnessed one elk taken,but the large cow a friend of mine took with a similiar set-up was taking quartering away with a Zephyr Tempest which drove to the fletchings before hitting the offside shoulder hitting ribs on entry.The general concensus I get is the snuffer will most certainly do the job(having recently bought some I'm really starting to become a fan),but on my next elk hunt I'll be going with a sturdy 2blade.Which is what most on here as well use given the fact that there is a good chance you'll hit ribs and the larger surface cutting area of the snuffer will undoubtedly penetrate less.

Hope this helps,
Ethan
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Well leatherneck, if you want the deepest penetration it's the 2 blade( according to Dr. Ashby's reports) it's a fact.

The woodsman 3 blade was the best of the 3 blades, but was still worse than the worst 2 blade.

The Grizzly is by far the best for deep penetration also it's vary tough, I always want two holes.

The amount of bleeding is from, how sharp you get your heads, extremely sharp, massive amounts of blood, so so sharp, so so blood trail.

Hope you shoot a big one

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Mike,
   I think I can set you up on a broadhead.

Bob

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Bob, I think I know which ones your referring to. Are they even out to the public yet?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I've Killed a few I shoot a little heaver #'s 74 out of my bighorn recurve I'm a big fan of the 125 grain magnus two blade I normally find my arrows covered in blood lying in the dirt several yards past the point of impact.I'm a big time two blade fan even though I have the horsepower to shoot a 3 or 4 blade.If you luck into a bull thats just been wallowing you will have to shoot through several inches of mud before you even touch flesh.Dirt dulls a broadehead in a millasecond for me thats all the more reason for a broadhead with less resistance JMHO
Jeff Couture

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Stos, Zwickey and Magnus are also good two-blades if you don't go with Bob's head.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Morrison:
Mike,
   I think I can set you up on a broadhead.

Bob
Bob,
I sent you a PM. I'm looking for broadhead for elk hunting this year as well.
Thanks,
JD

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
I have used the Stos with good results. I have been eying the ACE broadhead. Have heard some good things about them... John
possumtrot

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by possumtrot:
I have used the Stos with good results. I have been eying the ACE broadhead. Have heard some good things about them... John
I started using Ace Standards prior to my 2004 elk hunt. I was so impressed with their performance that I've been using them ever since.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
I would agree with what has been said above. To me penetration is key. I have always used two bladers on elk. With what I now know, that is all I will ever use. Gary

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Gary, What 2-blades do you use?

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Here some personal experience for you to ponder.  I've put a total of 9 arrows into elk, 7 two-blades and 2 three-blades. The only arrow that didn't have an exit wound was a three blade broadhead that was stopped by a rib.  Not a scapula, a rib.

Stan

BTW, my set ups are very similar to yours.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Very interesting facts Stan. What broadhead do you prefer in a 2? Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Mike, We will have the 3 blade @ 300 grains. And a 2 blade single left hand bevel also 300 grains. The 3 blade test run in the next 2 weeks. the 2 blade will be a custom head and will be available in June. I will have 300 grain field points next week Kustom King will also have them.

Bob

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Had no trouble with my cow elk. I used a MAGNUS STINGER 150GR 4 BLADE. Got to within 17 yards and my arrow and broadhead did the trick.

:archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Bob, those heads sound interesting...can't wait to see 'em.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Yes Bob, sounds interesting. I'll buzz you after the first.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
leatherneck,

I've had really good luck with the Grizzlies and Ribteks, both in 160 and 190 grains.  I recently picked up some of the big Ace broadheads, though and plan on giving them a try.

When I shot lighter broadheads Zwickeys were great for me, sharpened easy enough and were tough.

Stan

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
'Neck -- Ah, a getting-old argument. All I can say is what I always say ... that coming up on two dozen elk, all my experiences validate all of Ed Ashby's research. You are shooting about the same bow setup as me, but lighter arrows. I can recommend at least 700 grains (Ed says 650 but that doesn't quite get it for me when things do go perfectly) with a really though 2-blade with Tanto tip. You don't want to plan for "What might work if I'm lucky?" but rather "What do I need in equipment to make certain I'm doing all I can to assure fast ethical kills even when things go wrong." And with elk, no matter our best intentions, things too often go wrong. Do NOT shoot Wolverines, which I and others have far too often had fail (bent and broken tips). The best head I've found, through long experience and experiment, so far, is the 160 STOS modified with a Tanto tip (I have no luck sharpening Grizzlies). For shooters of heavier/faster bows with heavier arrows, Eclipse makes a dynamite head. Thanks for asking, and SF (Hooray for the Crotch). d

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©