3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated platforms in yard- pics please  (Read 439 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated platforms in yard- pics please
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
getting ready to build a elevated platform in my yard to shoot from, looking for ideas on a freestanding platform no trees used, if you have one could you please post a few pics and list materials used.. Thinking of using old telephone poles or 6x6 posts but want to look at some already built before I commit.. Also could you please give the shooting height...Thanks, Dean
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated platforms in yard- pics please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
build your kids a swing set with a play house that is big enough to shoot out of. 2for 1 deal. if you have kids
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
kids all grown so thats out.LOL.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
I shoot out of a 8 foot step ladder , it can be moved around out in the yard and in the woods out back to make for some very good pratice . On my dads land we use 8 foot step ladders in several real hunting situations when the lay of the land and cover permit . To us it is a real usefull stand due to its portabilty and can be set up and hid real well in heavy brush where theres no good tree to hang a stand on . They also work good on ridges where you dont want to get to high and cant see down to the bottom part of the ridge . We got the idea from hunting a Swampy flat game land on the coast of N.C. that my dad loves to hunt ( Pongo Wildlife Refuge ) . Hes been going since the 70's so he had plenty of kills out of 8 foot ladders . Give it a try , it might work for you and get you a good Deer.

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
MIKE, Do you sit on the ladder, stand on rungs, seems mighty uncomfortable?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
Do like I do and set a ladder stand up in the cherry tree. It's alright. The wife will make excuses for you to the neighbors. after a couple of weeks they'll stop staring. Embrace the redneck inside you!    :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
I use a freestanding tripod made by Big Game Stands.  BY leaving off a section of legs it is about 7' or so to the platform and is easily moved by one person.  It's also the right height for use in sloughs & cornfields...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
thanks for the ideas guys but Im wanting something permanent in the yard that will be safe and look as good as a elevated platform can in a yard..Ive already did the redneck platform, no neighbors close though.Surely out of 16,000 members somebody has built them..  :help:

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Real Rednecks use regrigerators.  They don't seem to mind them in their yards either 8^).

I can't help you Deano....I got out of tree stands many years ago.  Build a nice trellis, sturdy enough to stand on the top.  Wife can use it too then.

BTW....don't you have a roof on that house?   :knothead:

Offline Dannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Whats a regrigerator?
I dont know about you yanks, but down south we get on top of the old tractor.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Yeah Ive got a roof but really hard on shingles walking around shooting when its hot, plus my target range is at the other end of the yard..as far as a trellis goes Ive got a huge perennial flower bed taking up the whole center of my yard now.LOL.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Check with Bernie....
He built one in his yard....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks Mike was hoping he might see this thread, remember he posted pics of it a long time ago but cant find them doing a search. Ill shoot a p.m. his way.Dean

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I'm fixin' to build one.  I'm gonna use light poles from the local power co. if I can get them.  If not, I'll just go with 4x4 posts.  Probably be somewhere between 15-20ft. to the platform which will be big enough for two shooters.  Don't know if I'll build steps to the top or use an aluminum extension ladder.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Was thinking of light poles also just they are a pain to set in the ground, do you think 4x4 posts would be sturdy enough at that height even braced, price 24 ft. 6x6 posts and they want 110.00 apice for them, a little pricey.I definetly want to put steps up to mine, may want to let grand kids shoot out of it when they get a little older.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
You could use one light pole, then make a ladder stand out of treated lumber or whatever you have locally or you could put a hang on stand on it with climbing sticks. We used to do this on a hunt club where there weren't trees big enough to hang stands on. I went the playhouse route. I got free 6x6 posts and it still cost me a grand. I  also have a ladder stand propped up against a pecan tree in the yard. My wife really loves it.....not.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I wouldn't be afraid to use the 4x4's.  I've seen tower stands the rifle hunters use that were around 15 ft. high built on only 2.  I would use 4, 1 at each corner.  Platform will be somewhere around 6x8.  As for the light poles, I would only use two.  I know the guy at the local power co. and if he has some old poles, I could get him to set them for me.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Indianalongbowshooter ,
Yea I just sit on the top of the ladder platform or if I need to stand on the ladder steps. Your right there not comfortable but easy to move around in the yard . I try to put myself in difficult positions ( shooting thru brush , small openings ,body twisted , ect .) . For me its just easy to get up and down to get my arrows and to move around the yard.

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Will more then likely go the 4x4 route, platform size about what you said Chris.My significant other doesnt mind retrieving arrows for me so thats not a big problem..Wouldnt mind making some sort of a moving target that could be retrieved from platform, say like maybe a softball size target sliding down from platform.

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
dean,

I picked up a 24' utility pole for free, dug a five foot hole then scrapped out a tall headache rack on my truck so the pole was leaning at the greatest angle I could control. Backed up to the hole and stood the rascal up. I use climbing sticks and a hang-on. My wonderful wife fetches arrows for me  :notworthy:  

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©