3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are custom made bows better??  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Deadeye33

• Trad Bowhunter
Are custom made bows better??
« on: February 17, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
I am looking for a longbow and I really don't know where to start.  I like the looks of many custom made bows, but also think some of the bows in the Bear line look good.  I currently shoot a 50# recurve and a 70# compound.  Since I probably won't be able to shoot the bow before purchasing (my local shops don't have many in stock) what should I look for?  I was thinking about a 64" 55# reflex/deflex bow.  Do the different types of wood make a difference?  I looked at the Bear Patriot and their new royal safari and I really like the looks of them but I hate to spend hundreds of dollars on something just based on looks and specifications.  

Any bows to avoid or ones that are definate bows to consider?

I will be drawing 28" with a split finger grip.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Deadeye33

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are custom made bows better??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Custom bows aren't always better.  That being said I love custom bows.  You get what YOU want, not what is available.  As far as woods, it's best to ask the bowyer when you find a bow to order.  He/she will have preferences that make his/her design shine.  I like my longbows with a heavy riser wood and bamboo cores (then I get whatever veneers to dress her up).  I really like the Toelke Whip (my favorite longbow by far, in fact the they are the only bows I own now.)  I also had good luck with the Marriah Chinook and Martin Savannah.  Savannah has much wider limbs though, and may be considered more of a flatbow? If you want some pics of my whip or have any questions about the bows I mentioned send me a PM or email and I'll do whatever I can to help.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Another thing, being that you're in Lansdale maybe you should consider taking a trip to Mike Fedora's shop.  I believe it is near Lancaster.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
The best advice I can offer is to go to a shoot and try out different custom bows. To me a bow is something personal and each individual has preferences. You may not know what they are until you find a bow that has them. One that fits your hand, shoots where you look, has that "feel".   Try out as many as you can. It sure is a eye opener.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
It really boils down to how much are you willing to spend and what do you want cosmetically.  I think that custom bows are beautiful with fit and finish that can't be competed with.  The idea of being able to get the exact weight at your exact draw weight with the exact woods you want with a grip that is designed for your hand (big, small, low grip, high grip, etc.) is what draws most of us to custom bows.

The mass produced factory bows, from reputable companies like Bear, Martin, etc. will shoot well and last as long as a custom.  They will usually cost less too.  The won't however be any different than any other bow of the same make and model.  There are thousands of Bear Montana longbows out there.  They all are the same.  With a custom, you get a "one of a kind" handmade bow that is uniquely yours.  You can find a gazillion Brackenbury's, Blacktails, Black Widows, etc. out there, but you won't find two exactly alike.  The customs are one of a kind works of art.  That is big medicine to most of us.  If you are not into that, or are on a tight budget a factory bow will serve you well.

If you are looking for a R/D longbow, I recommend a Toelke Whip. They are beautiful and as smooth as any recurve I have ever shot.  I am sure that there are other custom bows out there that are as just as good, I just haven't found one.  

I think that whatever you choose, shoot it lots and you will be happy.  The bow is only as good as the archer holding it.  Find one that gives you confidence and shoot it until you are accurate.  Don't feel pressured by the lure of custom bows.  If you order one, you will love it.  If you don't there is no reason you can't shoot just as well with a Bear Patriot or Bear Montana.  The deer won't know or care what kind of bow you shot it with.  The taking of an animal is a privelege and can be accomplished only through dedication and hard work.  It absolutely CAN'T be accomplished by dumping $1200 bucks on a custom bow.

Good luck with your quest for a new bow.  The beautiful thing about it is you can't go wrong.  A bow is a magical thing and will give you years of happiness.  No matter what bow you choose.
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
If you are interested in a longbow(selfbow), read my thread entitled "lost my training wheels", I have a new one on the way right now, and the price is right as well.

Jeff

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Better than what? And what is "custom"? Not being facetious, but such distinctions are foggy these days. Biggest differences I saw when I went from low-end factory recurves to small-shop stickbows, maybe 20 years ago, was lack of stack in the latter, and far better service. To me, so much comes down to who we'd rather support: Ma and Pa, or the same folks who brought us wheelies, and still make them. I would never buy a stickbow, no matter how wellmade and affordable, from any company that still makes compounds. Just one little guy's opinion.

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Alot of times you can buy a used custom for less than the price of a new factory bow. Used custom bows seem to depreciate to a certain level allowing you to buy and sell til you find the right fit, without taking to much of a beating.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I'll second the trip to Fedora's Archery Shop.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
i would not go there!!!  :banghead:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
why not wolfman?

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Well...when I went I left with two bows instead of one   :archer:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
They can be better. They will cost more. I would suggest shooting every longbow you can get your hands on, even if you dont like the looks of it because that one may be the shooter your looking for, then it will look pretty good. Funny how that happens.
But shoot all you can, Hybrid, Hill style, longer, shorter and most of all THE GRIP. Subtle differences in grips can make a big difference.

All bowyers have the pretty wood so thats not an issue, find a bow that feels good to shoot.

Shooting all these bows will help you answer the questions the bowyer will ask, and you will get what you are paying for, not just a custom made "off the rack" bow.

Personally I'm a Robertson, Shrew and Dwyer fan. But its your bow not mine.

Good luck
Eric

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
It depends on what you mean by custom. Several so called custom bows are now cut and shaped by a CNC machine. Examples would be Black Widow, Blacktail, Great Plains and others. It is kind of a cookie cutter process. The selling point of this process is that every bow is the same, with the exception of wood selections. The odd thing about CNC bows is that they are more expensive than many handmade bows. The CNC machine must be expensive.

Some custom bows are made by a team of talented bowyers, but you never know exactly who made your bow, and those teams tend to change. Also, the guys making your bow often have no idea who you are.

For me, a custom bow is made by hand by an individual bowyer that you can have a conversation with. The bowyer will come to understand who you are and what you need, and you will have a chance to select woods and cores that appeal to you. Now that is custom!

The price of some Bear and Martin bows is now higher than some truly custom bows. There are several custom bowyers who offer exceptional bows for 425.00 to 500.00.

Having said that, a bow generated by a machine will shoot an arrow just fine, and give you years of great service. The personal connection with a bowyer may not be important to some, but when you are sitting in the woods and looking down at your bow, it is a great feeling to know who made it, the conversations within it and the story behind it.

Offline Deadeye33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice!  I will look into visiting Fedora's shop.  Does he have a website?  I'll google that.  I am also going to check out montanabows.com.  

Sincere thanks to all of you!

Jeff
Deadeye33

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Bottom line is going to boil down to what you want in a bow.A custom can be made with your choices in woods to dress it up but that don't mean it will shoot any better for you than one off a rack somewhere.Some production bows can look real nice.You really need to shoot a bow to decide if you like it and not worry about if it came out of a factory or someones garage to get the better bow. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Deadeye33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
For me price will be a huge factor.  I talked to a guy yesterday who loves his Bear Montana, but I've heard a lot of very average feedback on that bow.  My recurve is a Shakespeare, definately not a high end bow, but I have really grown to love shooting it.  Perhaps I have never shot a top of the line bow so I don't know what I am missing.  
I'm going to take a ride to Cabela's this afternoon and look at the Bear line.
Deadeye33

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Cabela's is a good place-fair prices and good customer service. But once you have spent an hour or two shooting some Fedora bows all your questions about why a custom bow will be answered!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
While you are there check out the Martins as well.The Savanaha is a very good performing bow and looks good too.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Thicket Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Jeff,
 A lot of what follows has been said above, but when I was looking for a bow I had some of the same constraints as you. I received a bear kodiak Magnum the Christmas from my son and thats what got me into trad. I realized that I wanted a little heavier of a bow. Because of my short draw length I wasn't pulling as heavy as I wanted to. I was also toying with the idea of a take down, but I am on a budget and they can be a little more expensive.  
 I had narrowed my search down between River's Edge and Chek-Mate. I had emaile both and had received prompt replies with good advice.
 I then started watching the classifieds here on Tradgang and found a Marriah Thermal which if bought new would have been way out of my budget and would have caused serious marital strife   :rolleyes: . But at the price I got it for used I could afford it. I have been extremely happy with it and it shoots like a dream. I got a custom bow at a price that was cheaper than a production bow from a big company.
 My advice is to be patient, figure out what you are willing to pay and either buy from one of the custom bowyers, or buy from the classifieds here on this site. I also like buying equipment from site sponsore or the folks on this site who are selling and trading on the classifieds. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, if possible try and shoot as many dirfferent ones as you can if they are available.

Watch your wind
Mark
Doing the right thing isn’t always the easiest.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©