3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tribe from Peru  (Read 642 times)

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
Tribe from Peru
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I saw on line this morning that photos had been taken from the air of a uncontacted tribe in Peru.  There are 10 photos posted at this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080529/sc_nm/brazil_tribe_dc  

This is the last image in the series of 10 photos...what does it look like to you?

[/url] [/IMG]

Are those Ron LaClair bows or are they Howard Hill's?
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tribe from Peru
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
Naw, the guy on the right is holding a Morrison longbow.
All kidding aside, this is cool stuff. I never new there was still areas of the amazon that have not been explored as of yet.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Not to mention I would love to get a hold of one of those bows to see how they made them. It would be neat to see how our style of selfbows compare to those of tribes.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
They would most likely shoot you, and have a barbecue !

Not a good situation !

But I do have to agree it would be kinda cool to see what design the bow they have made with their own handmade tools.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Hey are they wearing Nikes......  :D  

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Yeah, and watch the government drive them out  :(

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
....IF they were shooting Morrisons that chopper would have gone down in flames.....  :readit:    :biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
thats awesome thanks for sharing the info, i find it incredible that tribes like this are untouched out there would be interesting to explore but you'd prob get eaten
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bbassi:
....IF they were shooting Morrisons that chopper would have gone down in flames.....   :readit:      :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
they are putting a Starbucks behind that hut.

Offline Paul Collins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Wow!  That's racier than a Martin Archery ad.  The girl doesn't have a shirt on at all.  Whatever kind of bow they are shooting, I'm getting one.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
boy camoflauge of any sort must not be that important to them.  They are the same color as those goofey little whatevers in the chocolate factory.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
What is interesting to me is we are here in our homes/work with the comforts of modern life looking at these guys on the internet.  Meanwhile, if they could speak our language they would say "internet, what's a internet?"  

They are probably still telling stories of driving the "flying devil" out of their land.  In all seriousness they have to be wondering what is the world coming to and how to combat it.  

I saw a story yesterday that quoted an official as saying the rain forrest was state property and thus belonged to all Brazilian people and these folks are no better than those that would interlope on their civilization.  So get ready little "trad" brothers, the government is on it's way to save you from your primitive ways.  Neccessary? maybe but debatable.  Sad? yes.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dustin Waters:
boy camoflauge of any sort must not be that important to them.  They are the same color as those goofey little whatevers in the chocolate factory.
Oompa loompas?

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Interesting! But let's hope folks will be wise enough to LEAVE THEM ALONE and keep at least any form of missionaries out of their way.
And if these are in fact the very last natives of South America - well - would then not all the land belong to them and only them? Like parts of Oz which were given back to the Aboriginies?
I guess they will be wiped out befor someone can instill this thought in them and call for the  attorneys ...
Thus I have to aggree with Jedimaster, sad it is.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
imagine what must have been going thru their minds!!!! I wonder if any of em bounced an arrow off that "big noisy bird from Hades"....Id say they was still cleaning out their britches, if they was wearin any. :D

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Boy you guys have it all wrong!!! That's not some primitive tribe deep within the amazon rain forest. That's the WENSELS' memorial day bbq. They was shooting ariels and eatin Barrys' freight train carp   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I once saw bows like that for sale somewhere, maybe Krakow Company, who used to advertise in TBM. They sold bows from around the world, including bows from Africa and Asia. I just did a quick search on it and came up empty. The bows would soon become useless after leaving the rain forest, however, as they are designed for and are made of woods that depend upon the high humidity to retain their flexibility. I have a close friend who was born in Venezuela, and he said he had a bow that was made by the natives there. It was solid black and heavy, he said.

I took a college course, gosh, it must have been 27 years ago, on the history of the Native Americans. The course ended up on the (then) most current, ongoing process of divesting native peoples of their lands and culture. In Brazil, logging and gold (sound familiar?) has been the draw, and missionaries and loggers and miners and the clapboard towns that cater to them and their vices have made great inroads, affecting indigenous peoples along the length of the Amazon. Shorts and sneakers, money and alcohol part them from their history and each other, until they become low-cost labor to feed the economic machine. Languages and cultures are forever forgotten, along with the intimate knowledge of their lands and the creatures on it.

The most devastating tool in the removal of people from the path of progress is not the chain saw and the bulldozer, though. It is the myriad of diseases which we carry, that the natives have no resistance to. Common colds, venereal diseases and other easily transmitted pathogens, they are doing to the Yanomamo what they did to the Narragansett and the Inuit. People who have never seen a motorboat or a white man are ravaged by diseases they cannot fight. Brazil created the Xingu Reserve as a place for many tribes to live. But the land, and the peoples, are changed.

Some day we are going to run out of unexplored, unsettled territory. What will we do then? Cram ourselves cheek to jowl into smaller and smaller quarters, do with less and less food, water, personal space, sanity? Or could we somehow decide that "this" is enough people on the planet, and live relatively uncluttered lives, limiting our demands upon the earth, its resources and the beauty that we have inherited from our ancestors, and will pass on to our children?

But no, our egos, and national pride, and power (there are more of us than there are of you!) and the economy (is the economy a Ponzi scheme or what??) demand more and more people. The whole thing is a conundrum, a Gordian knot that we can't easily find the solution to. So, as humans, we do what we do best. Don't worry about a problem until we have to! So we flirt, and make babies, and let it all take care of itself. Remember the ZPG movement (Zero Population Growth) that those whackos in the seventies were talking about? And see how well we have worked on the energy thing? Alternative energy, Independence from foreign oil, this was all the rage when I was in high school. That was (sigh) thirty-five years ago.

We are humans. We are stupid.

So, we now know that there are some free humans out there. They do not contribute to the labor force, they do not pay taxes, they do not vote nor pay a tithe to the Church nor support the Powers That Be in any way, shape or form.

God help them.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
These are the people who Dr. Paul Shepard (among the greatest minds of our time, and THE greatest mind ever, regarding our human origins) called "the pinnacle of humanity." That is, we evolved to live as hunter-gatherers, and we have not had time to de-volve into something else. Pre-agricultural and pre-civilization hunter-gatheres are the purest and best humans who ever lives. I can't express my joy in knowing that a few such still hang on. More power to them, doomed though they surely are. I do wish their poisoned arrows could bring down a helicopter, even as I wish the first Indians greeting the first European invaders, had wiped them out to the man. Oops! here I go again ... adios. d

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Making assanine statements about shooting down helicopters and wiping out all Europeans can only be made for shock value.  

The major difference between native peoples and european settlers was firepower and technology.  There were both peaceful and war-like individuals from both parties.  To say that one group was inherently "better" than another is ludicrous.  

The concept that native people lived a peaceful existence prior to the arrival of the European settlers is pure fantasy.  Take the Aztec and Inca empires as prime examples of human power,politics, ambition, corruption, greed, and cultural dominance that is typically attributed to the "bad" Europeans that came years later.  Think genocide is a European novelty?  Think again.  The best and worse that society has to offer is present in all cultures.

Native people divested other native people of their lands, properties, resources, and women/childeren for generations prior to the arrival of the first European on the continent.  

Technology and firepower certainly magnified the experience and accelerated change, but the native examples of the same type of occurance indicate that the tendancy to use an advantage for personal gain has nothing to do with culture.  When the plains tribes gained access to the horses that had escaped from the spanish, they kicked the natural butt of their neighbors and controlled the distribution of their new-found tool to maintain an advantage over their enemies.  Tribes who had firepower used it against tribes who did not.  Were they corrupted?  No, they simply applied a new technology to a game they had been playing for generations.

It is fun to romance about the way it was prior to colonization, during the mountain man days, being a pioneer, or whatever.  That's probably part of our attraction to stick and string.  Taking the fantasy down a path that attributes extreme innocence to one path and extreme guilt to another is taking it too far.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©