3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Word, A Gesture, A Memory, A Treasure  (Read 2265 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Word, A Gesture, A Memory, A Treasure
« on: February 17, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
A word or two posted, generated a heartfelt gesture, which in turn converted a fond memory into a treasure. I thought you might like to share in it.

In a couple of threads, one where I mentioned my friend Mike's favorite bowyer's scraper was a K-Bar, and another where someone put a nice K-Bar up for sale, I mentioned that I had given my old USMC sidekick to an old hunting friend, and now wished I'd hung on to it. Shortly after that I received a PM from "Ga.boy", Chuck Bunn. Without mentioning the posts, he started off by saying some very complimentary things about following my posts since becoming a member, and liking the things I said, etc. (It was said in a way that meant a great deal to me.) He also said he had an old item of memrobila, of his Father's, that he felt belonged with me and he would send it to me if I didn't object. Still without identifying the object, he ventured that he just felt I would appreciate it better than anyone else would. He signed the letter, "A proud Son of a Marine Father".

Well, most of you know me well enough to know I did two things: First I wiped my eyes, as best I could, and second I told Chuck I would be proud to be the "caretaker" of his Father's item.

Shortly I got another message saying he had mailed the item and I should have it by Sat. He also said it was old and in pretty rough shape but he would bet I would make it look better.

By then I was sure it was an old USMC souvenier of some sort. You can imagine my surprise when I opened the package (on Friday) and found the below. Chuck, I will do my best to make it look more as it deserves, Lord willing, and I will cherish it in any case. (Oh, I just put the USMC wood burning in the pic - it was given to me by a Marine Wife, when I wouldn't let her "give" me a larger one I was buying from her at the Flea Market.)

For those who are not familiar, The Marines came to call all of their belt, fighting, trench knives "K-Bar"s, as that was the company that eventually had the contract for making/providing them and it was engraved on the blades. However most Marines were aware that the original contract in WWI and again in WWII was held by Camillus (out of NY) and that those knives were, when available, generally considered the better knives, as they were easier to sharpen and held their edge better. All of the K-bars were veritable work horses and those marines who had and carried them (of any make) set great store in them for any and all uses imaginable. The one in the above picture that belonged to Chucks Father, and he has so generously tendered to my care, I believe to be an early Camillus (that much is on the guard), Model 5684L77 (7" Blade), and the blade is in beautiful shape and still darned sharp - trust me. Originally they all had stacked, leather washer handles, grooved for better grip. The earlier handles were oil impregnated to preserve them from fungus. However the oil raised sand with the leather when exposed to the weather, and made it deteriorate terribly. I haven't decided yet if I will contact Camillus (they still make them - minus the oil     :)    ) about refurbishing this venerable old warrior, or if I will dress it up in a nice "Dress Uniform" wood handle like Mike's (as seen in my recent thread about my first self-made laminated bow). I will show you all a picture, whichever. No matter - but my thanks go out to Ga.boy's Father, and his proud son. Thanks for looking.

(Note: My facts are mostly as best as I remember and bolstered by a very small amount of research this AM)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Word, A Gesture, A Memory, A Treasure
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
It is in good hands.
What can be said here of service, honor, and good will? This was not duty, but honor born of love.

Semper Fi.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Brings back some memories, when I was coming back from overseas in 1971 I had 2 k-bars one black and the other I had chromed. I put them all the way in the bottom of my sea bag and checked it into supply to be shipped. A month later when I checked in to MCAS Beaufort S.C. I went and checked in at supply and got my sea bag. Went back to the barracks to unload my clothing and things and the K-bars were gone. Sure wish I knew who took them...
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Chuck picked the right man for the job. Congrats Bernie ... and Thanks to all of our service men and women.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
God loves Marines, great story, ...I have this big lump in my throat...  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Very nicely done GA.Boy. You find yourself in need don't be a stranger.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Very well said Kathy.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Bless you all - especially you, Lady. She really can say something, can't she, Dano?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Way to go Chuck! That is really awesome!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Cool!!!
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
great guy, great knife, great match! i just recived a brand new Ka-Bar in the mail today from my brother Mr. Vic and i am also one happy camper asw i had always wanted one!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Good for you too, Kenny - Mr- Vic is one of the Good Guys.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Kudos all around. This is good stuff!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Nice piece of Marine history....
If only it could tell its story....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
A little update, if you will:

My good friend, Daniel, contacted me last night with an offer to restore my "new friend". My first thought was that he is way too generous and I needed to protect him and Sylvie - from themselves - LOL. However as I told him, after another contact this AM, "My Momma didn't raise no fools, after all!" The more I thought about it, while I think it would be fun to try putting a nice wood handle on it, and show it to y'all later, it would change the whole USMC context of the knife. I don't really want to do that - at least not with this particular knife. So it looks like the "old warrior" is going to ship out for a little TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) in Canada, before it gets to stay in it's new home here with me. Thank you so very much, Daniel. You and Sylvie are Gems of The NWT, for sure.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
A prize like that is worthy og going back to the factory for a face lift
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Bernie,
 Restoring that knife to it's original condition will be a treasure for sure. what a great jesture from Ga. Boy. I live just 15min. from the camillus knife factory that made those original knives.  It's a great little factory that produces some quality blades.The factory has been in trouble in recent months with union problems and it's future is uncertain.  As a matter of fact I have a camillus (K-bar) knife I've owned for the past 25yrs. I pull it out every now and again to admire it's workmanship. I also have a custon staghandle folder that I have been using for my deer gutting knife for the past 25yrs.They hold an edge like no other knife I've owned.  I've been offered a fair penny for the (K-bar) from time to time but I don't think I'd ever sell it. I wish I had read this thread sooner because I know a couple of  people that work there and I might have been able to help with getting it restored for you. If you need any help in any way with additional info./history of your knife just drop me a line. I'd be happy to help.

JOHN
I reckon so

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
I believe, like ALL combat K-Bars this ones story continues.

Those KNIVES were as I recall a right of passage when passed from one to another. Mine came from an "OLE GUNNEY"

Glad to see it stayed in the FAMILY Bernie

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Heart warming story.Good on you Chuck.   :thumbsup:   Camillus is indeed a good knife.I bought my first Camillus hunting knife when I was 14. I still use it 41 yrs later.Easy to sharpen and holds an edge like no other knife that I know.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments, suggestion, offers, etc.

Got a call from Daniel (real nice), after he had talked to Camillus a couple times, and after we talked quite a while,considering options, etc., we've decided rather than to restore the knife to an exact replica, we will go with making it into a beautiful commemorative type knife. I (haveing done some art in my life) am a firm believer in "turning the artist loose" without to many instructions or restrictions. I know it will be a grand knife when Daniel finishes. One that I'll be extremly proud of, and I can hardly wait to see it.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©