3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Boot question?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Boot question?
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
This may be a dumb question, does your hunting require several different types of boots? I am in need of a new pair of boots. However, my hunting is done in a wide range of temps and movements. For instance, my deer hunting starts in Oct. when the temps can be hot to mild and I don't really need any insulation but do need waterproof. By Nov. the temps are dipping and getting cold and warmer boots are needed. If my deer hunting continues into the middle of Nov its just flat cold and trying to sit in a tree or a natural ground blind for 4hrs with no body movement requires a very warm boot.
  I also like to call coyotes and bobcats which is altogether a different type of hunting. You may walk for 5-10 minutes and then sit and call for 30-45mins. Get back up and do it again. I have been using my trusty Danner Predators(600gram) for nearly 15yrs now for all my hunting. And while these have been awesome boots they do not keep me warm on stand for deer hunting in the cold but are a little overkill in the early season. They work ok for the calling though. Just wondering how many pairs you guys utilize for all your hunting and would appreciate some guidance to some good boots for these situations.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Boot question?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I use 3 or 4 pairs of boots before and during the season.  I have a pair of Rocky guide series snake boots that I wear when I feel like I need them, mostly before the season while hanging stands.  I have a lightweight pair of camo rubber LaCrosse boots that usually get worn well into December.  When the temps are below 40 I switch to a heavily insulated (1500-1600 grams) pair of Muck or Rocky camo rubber boots.  Muck and LaCrosse make good rubber boots in a range of insulation weights.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I have a insulated pair of Sorels. These work out fine from Sept temps of 90 to the low 30's in November. If I stalk they work fine due to the body heat. Colder than freezing sitting a stand I bought boot blankets.. My feet have NOT been cold since spending that 50$...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Bought some boot blankets also.  I don't like burning my legs out wearing the big heavy stuff so I'll pack the boot wraps until I'm sitting.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
i wear muck boots year round....i tend to have very cold feet in any temps below freezing.  i found if i wear medium thickness socks and some fleece overboots like the boot blankets when i get in my stand i am fine.  i usually throw a couple of handwarmers in each overboot after i pull them on for even more warmth.  A piece of carpet cut to fit your stand to place your feet on when it is really cold works even better with the above combination.  Like i said, i have cold feet.....
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Like you Predator, I really like my Danner pronghorns, here in Florida, especially during bow season, cold feet are not a problem. I also wear Danner Jackals when it is dry and Lacrosse Alpha Lite 3.5mm rubber boots when it is a "damp" season.
If it is a really wet season, good old military jungle boots, I just get wet and live with it.
When I lived in Colorado, I wore Cabelas Elk hunters or if it was really cold, Sorrel pac boots.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Last time my wife counted them on the shelf I had 12 pair boots up there. So yes you need more than one pair. My hunting ranges from -40 to +110 so there is no one boot that will cover it all. My favourite rubber boots are my Le Chameau's by far and for heavier leather boots my Alaskan hunters from Cabelas are hard to beat. When it gets below -10 on the stand my Lacrosse -135 pack boots come into play.
hunt it

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
Hey all,

Does Muck boots make/fit very wide feet?  Would love to have a pair but have never sat down and tryed them out.

Brian G
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I wear a size E shoe & the Muck boots fit me fine.  i did buy mine a size larger than i normally wear.
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I love Muck boots. Have 2 pr. One for early season, and another for colder weather. Very comfortable. They do seem to run a little small though. I wear a size 13. And, my cold weather boots are 15's. With wool socks the 14's were too tight. Great people to deal with as well.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Imelda Marcos here.  :wavey:  
I have a lot of boots. I usually wear one of three (or four) pairs that I take with me to the woods each year, though, a pair of discontinued pac boots from Sorel, with a thin insert liner. These are good for walking, and short sits,but when sitting for a longf time, my feet get cold. I have taken to putting ANYTHING over the boots to keep the air from moving over them. Spare sweater, hat, mittens, leaves. Boot blankets are very bulky, and I have resisted buying them for years. I am thinking of making a thinner alternative, of a wind-stopping fabric, or perhaps carrying a small "blanket" or (shudder) poncho to throw over my feet and legs when I sit. I am a ground hunter, and it doesn't take a lot of fitting to arrange a cover for me. In a tree stand, or on a stool, I would have to think it out a little more.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
The boot blankets were too bulky for me also...i was lucky a few years ago & picked up a pair of asat light fleece with 50 grams of thinsulate in them from LL Bean.  They zip up the back & can be stuffed in my pack.  
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©