3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best method for shaping antler/Bone  (Read 244 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Best method for shaping antler/Bone
« on: May 31, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Well, trying to get a piece of a deer antler on my tips of my osage bow.  I have a dremel tool.  Also have various rasps, like nickolson 49 and 50.  Will bone/antler wear out my 49?  Is the dremel the easist thing for shaping tips?  is there a better method?

I am putting them on with platicweld on advise of another bowyer.  Never used the stuff.  Kinda like two part epoxy.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best method for shaping antler/Bone
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
You're probably better off with a coarse file than a fine rasp. Antler has a tendency to chip, fairly easily. I know on knife handles I use a succession of coarse-fine files & then sandpaper from 220-600grit. It's slow & smelly work, but worth it in the end.
You could easily burn it or go too far with the Dremmel (you can't put it back on!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks Rob.  I have been using the dremel at lower speeds a little.  I learned the 49 rasp doesn't work well.  Thanks again

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
I do a lot of the shaping of antler tips with a thin strip of a used up sanding belt or abrasive tape. I cut a strip about 1" wide and use it in a "shoe shine" method. Use the rasp and files to get the two demensional shape you want. Then use the abrasive tape or sanding belt strip. It will round the tips perfectly and then you can take a round file and make your string grooves. I have been happy with how my antler tips turned out with this method.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I cut the antler a bit wider than the bow tips, then work the edges down to match with a mill bastard file and finish, like Dan, with a shoe-shine. Sometimes, for very porous antler, after the string grooves are cut and all is done, I finish with a think coat of clear epoxy, although spray-on Minwax spar urethane does a dandy job of sealing and hardening also. d

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©