3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog decoy anyone?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog decoy anyone?
« on: February 17, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Curious to see if anyone has ever attempted to use a decoy to stalk up on hogs. Last year in laredo i encountered the problem of not being able to stalk. Reason being that the brush was to thick to even crawl through, and u couldnt get much closer than about 50 yds, stalking down the edge of the senderos. A year or so ago i saw some guys using a plywood monstrosity to ease up on some ferals. They made the head movable so that when a pig would crooked eye em, they would just move the head and it would go back to feeding. Worked for them. They ended up with a 20 yd shot. Im just crazy enough to try it. I think it will make for sweet video either way. So i went ahead and threw one together from coroplast in about 30 minutes . Made the head moveable and all. I didnt go to the trouble of breakin out the airbrush for no stinkin hogs, lol. We shall see how it works.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog decoy anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
sorry for the poor picture quality. My camera is actin up. If the pics are too big, delete em and ill try to figure out how to resize
Kyle

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Looks good to me. I have had luck being the decoy by crawling on all fours. Don't laugh till you've tried it.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
LOL Shaun, ya better be careful doing that in breeding season:)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
That looks like "Soooweee", Buckies lost cousin.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Nice job
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »
Pete W, funny u say that. Im actually planning on taking my version of bucky with me to use in the same fashion. I noticed last year that u dont see ferals and javies feeding together, but u will see javies and deer. I figure the ferals are too aggressive and run off the javies. So ill use the piggy on ferals and bucky on the javies. At least thats the game plan. All this will be caught on tape of course. lol
Kyle

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Hey Kyle,

I never used the decoy but I was at the ranch of the guy who made that decoy your talking about, it seemed to work good for him like you said.

As far as the feral pushing out the javies, I have always heard it's the javies that will run off the pigs. Supposed to be pretty nasty little rodents.
Skeater who?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I am gonna do it next time south.  We even discussed making a cow outfit for two of us and just walk on by some pigs or javelina. Won't THAT make some fun footage.

Last time down there, sneaking would not get me close enough, but getting down on all fours and crawling, with my bow out front acting like it was feeding along the sendero working very well.  Right up to the point I knelt on a piece of cactus that nailed my pants leg to my knee with about 100 spines.  Looked like I went on backwards point with my leg straight out and on fire..  The boys were watching with binoculars and laughing in fits.
ChuckC

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Better hope there are no Bulls in the pasture.
LOL
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Pete, there are stories there.  Don't think that has not crossed our minds.  Still..... Maybe we should leave the red lipstick off the cow ?

ChuckC

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
ChuckC, cabelas now offers a photo printed, full size cow decoy. Its made for goose hunters, but i had the same thought when i saw it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
No kidding !    Oh, I will bet money that would work sweet down there,  All you need are the cajones to actually try it.  I gotta look at that ad.
ChuckC

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
i believe most are herefords.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Kyle, down south there where I was they were called Saint  something er others and man, they had cactus spines all over their lips.  They were big and rangey and if you moved wrong they ran right over trees.  Big dudes.  Not certain what they were worried about, that one bull coulda stomped me into nothing right quick.  Bad thing about down there, ...no trees of any size at all to climb, except the cactus.  I still think it would work.   Gotta get my wife started on sewing that cow suit.  I hope to go again next February.
ChuckC

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
ChuckC, you considered one of those holstein halloween costumes with the big udders on the front? BWAHAHAHAHAHa!! Please take the camera.

Ive got some sheets of coroplast that are big enough to do a cow. Im thinkin, one side angus, and the other hereford. Universal equipment, lol. I think it would work awesome for easing up on sittin ducks. Man im gonna have some fun with that new camera
Kyle

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Funny I was thinking the same thing last week on our hog hunt in Florida but not for stalking. We were hunting some very wary pigs that were reluctant to come to bait in the daylight. My theory was to put a hog silhouette on the bait to entice them out in the daylight. The idea being that if they saw a hog on the bait they would consider it safe. I may have to cut one out for next year. Oh yeah, just in case anybody had any doubt, a hogs shield really does stop an arrow from penetrating its vitals   :mad: .

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Kyle....
As mantioned above...
Javis will run off Pigs....They are mean little S%$#....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Heres mine...Rooty.... how does it look...Joebuck    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/jmb1221/Rooty-1.jpg

Joe... had to reduce the pic to a link. It was 800 pixels wide.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©