3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chad up top  (Read 485 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chad up top
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
NICE antelope!  :D

Any chance of the full tale?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chad up top
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Chad recently became a TradGang sponsor. I just had a look at his website, and those look like really great value bows. I'd like to hear the tale, also.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
way to go chad! now how about the story?

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Well done, Chad! That's a great looking antelope!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
Beautiful animal...

we need the story.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Congrats Chad....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Ya know, everyone should have the feeling of being fameous even if it's just for one day of their life.  I've always been a small fish in a small pond so when I clicked on the POW WOW I didn't even recognize myself.  I knew something looked familiar but my first thought was "how did Shane get his picture up there."  Shane is my identical twin brother.  

I shot that buck 2 years ago in northwestern South Dakota.  Could spit into Montana from the ranch.  

We had a record drought in that area all summer and the goats were hitting the water holes like clockwork.  Opening day of the season was on a Saturday.  The previous Tuesday the ranch got 3" of rain.  There was water everywhere.  When we pulled in the rancher said "You guys should have been here last week". Gee I've never heard that before on a hunt.

This was an unguided hunt so we had to set up blinds on fence crossings and just put in long hours.  I've always been a patient sitter so 15 hour a day in a blind wasn't a big deal for me.  We climbed into the blinds at 5:00 am and crawled out at 9:00pm.  On the 4th day I was in a hay bale set about 10 yards from a fence crossing.  The set consisted of 4 bales pushed togather.  See the crossing?  Keep in mind these crossings are all over the place and antelope are skittish as all get out around them.

At 9:00 I watched this buck bed down in front of me 100 yrds away.  During this time a couple bucks would run up to the fence and look into the field where the big guy was then run back into the pasture.  I thought that was odd and unfortunate for me.  About 12:30 I was roasting in the blind.  The sun way high and there was no roof on the blind.  I was questioning whether I would make it all day.  The buck was still laying there.  I took a couple pictures of him.    

I layed on the ground and squeezed myself under the round bale as far as I could to get out of the sun as much as possible.  I hollowed out a hole at the bottem of the bale so I could see the buck laying there.  I would doze off for a few minutes then open my eyes and check on the buck.  I suppose I did this a half a dozen times when I opened an eye for a peek the buck was gone.  I quickly started checking all my loop holes and saw the buck posed up and walking toward the fence stiff legged.  It looked like he would meet the fence 50 yards to the west of my position.  I checked another loop hole and saw a good buck on the other side of the fence looking at the big boy.  The big boy didn't want the other buck to enter the alfalfa field but the other buck wasn't leaving.  The newcomer started walking down the fence toward my crossing.  He was tight to the fence.  The big boy was about 30 yards into the field and started paralleling the new buck.  Both were coming my way intent on each other.  I had to make a decision on which port hole to set up on.  The new guy would pass at 10 yards but 5 strands of barbed wire would be between us so I quickly dismissed that one.  The big boy should pass the blind at 20 yards.  When he got to my opening he stopped and looked at the other buck.  I let one fly but forgot to hold low for the drop.  He did drop but not enough.  I had to give the spine shot buck another one.  It was a good feeling knowing I'd put in 52 hours in 3.5 days to have that opportunity.

I've never had a buck measured and decided not to measure this one either.  I had it mounted for the wall to symbolize the memory.  Shooting an animal with a bow and arrows crafted by your own hands is as good as it gets.  Why put a score to something like that?  Maybe I'm afraid if I measured a buck it would score one inch less then the book minimum and someone would say "oh that's too bad."  I hate trying to explain something to someone when I know deep down inside they will never understand what I'm trying to explain.  Ever been there?  Chad

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Thank you for the story. Just beautiful.

I thought I hunted "hard" sitting in a bear stand for 8 1/2 hours...LOL  Plus I didn't have the sun pounding on me all day.

You are a tough pronghorn hunter.. Congrats

Jds III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Chad,good hunt and story.I know exactly what you mean,I've never had an animal "officially" scored either.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Chad,
Great story and photos. Beautiful bows on the web-site as well!

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Chad,

Great goat. I know what you mean. I was fortunate enough to get my first mule deer in Colorado back in 89. One of the guys with me said something about being short for the book. I looked at him and said it makes mine.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
That's a beautiful speed goat and a real trophy any way you measure it. Thanks for the tale of the hunt and may your bow building ventures turn out as well.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
Congrats Chad..

Hey your bows look really nice...good job.

For those folks that don't know it already Chad makes a good knife too.  I've got one that I bought from him at mojam 5-6 years ago.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
Great hunt and awesome goat Chad!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Congrats Chad; real nice goat. Thanks for sharing the story.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
You don't have to worry about that animal coming up short in any way.  Magnificent buck antelope and great hunt story.  I can't wait to go bake my brains out in the hot sun again, and I really mean that.  Congrats

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
wonderful goat.....thanks for sharing the story, Chad.

He's a gagger.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Congrats and great story   :thumbsup:  
Good looking bows to.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Hi Chad,  congrats on the great buck, and thanks for the tradgang sponsorship.    :thumbsup:  

See ya at coon rapids !

Tim
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
I love the pic,  extremely respectful and very expressive.  After reading the story, the image just fits to a T.  

Awesome Goat, dont need a book to see that.   :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©