3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Female Beginner  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Female Beginner
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm quite new to this. I've been interested in archery forever, but never found the opportunity to start. I recently moved to northern Iowa for a summer job and when I found out that my room mates all bowhunt, I knew it was time to try. I located a local man who started the archery in schools program and yesterday he gave me a free lesson with his genesis (compound) bows. As I expected, he suggested that I buy my own equipment ASAP.

This guy happens to be a Hoyt dealer, and so we discussed compound options. I didn't bring up the fact that I am more interested in learning on a recurve, but the more I thought about it afterwards, the more I'd like to learn on a recurve. (Eventually I'd like to be able to hunt with whatever bow I purchase...once I'm good enough)

I haven't heard back from the guy about his suggestions, I know Hoyt makes two hunting recurves, but I think they may be a little out of my league.

So, I'm a 20 yr. old female, 5'3" tall, right-handed, and have a 26" draw length. I figure something in the range of 35-40# would be good because then I could eventually hunt deer with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bow for me?

The price I was quoted for all the compound stuff I would need is $600, so if I could get all the recurve equipment for less than that I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks!

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Female Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Welcome!
Great Tree makes some great starter bows, at a nice price(3 rivers archery).
I personally shoot and love the Hoyt recurves. Right now im shooting the Gamemaster II, which you can get into for about $450.00.
No expert here, but your probably going to want to start out with something in the 20-30# range.
Developing form and strength, thus working your way up to a hunting weight.
Others here will give you more bow suggestions.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
                              Steve.
Steve.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
First of all, welcome. You've come to the right place for your questions. I'm sure there will be tons of folks coming to answer all your questions. You should be able to outfit yourself for well under $600. Check out the classifieds and post a "want" add in there. There have been a number of times beginners were completely outfitted on here for little or no money.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
My wife's spec's are similar to yours.  She started out with a 30# recurve but was dissappointed because it was "too weak".  I recently picked her up a second hand longbow like mine that is 45#.  She loves it and it fits her very well.  Because it fits her well, she has more confidence in it and shoots it much better than the recurve.  She just shot her first 3D shoot last weekend ans is already asking when the next one is.  To save some money you might check out the classifieds here.  You can find a good bow for less than the new price and without the wait.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Welcome Sarah! You've come to the right place. There are a bunch of fellow Trad Gangers from Iowa and other places that can help you tremendously.Stay away from the bows with training wheels you don't need them. Take a look on the Trad Gang Bow Classifieds there are great bargins there. Look for a recurve with those specs that your comfortable with money wise and weight wise.I'm sure there might even be some Iowa Folks willing to get together and let you shoot some of there bows . Are there any Trad Shops around you? Try  to shoot as many bows as you can to help your decision. Some of our Bowyer Sponsors offer a try before you buy bow. I'm sure some bowyers will chime in and help you out also. I hope I helped.

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
If you're close to the Des Moines area I think there used to be a traditional shop, but I can't remeber the name.  It would be a good place to try out some different bows.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks for such speedy replies, keep em' coming!

wislnwings: you said your wife was unhappy with the 30#, do you think she could have started off at the higher weight?

I keep coming back to the Dorado. It seems like a lot of people think it's a good bow. I'll see what the dealer says. I really respect his opinion and would love to support his business even if it's more pricey than going the classified route.

I read an article yesterday about using heavier arrows instead of lighter ones on lighter draw weights like what I'd be shooting. It can be found here:  http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:meiv8fxW_dQJ:www.huntingfortomorrow.com/women_files/You%27re%2520hunting%2520with%2520THAT.doc+recurve+woman+hunt&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&clie nt=firefox-a

Any thoughts? What do the women in your lives prefer?

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Yes, she had shot some of my 50# bows prior.  Their wieght was too much for her to be comfortable with.  The 30# turned out to be too light, so it was kind of trial and error to find her comfortable wieght range.  She does not hunt so arrow wight has not been much of a concern.  As long as the arrow is tuned to the bow and she gets good flight we're happy.  For hunting I like an arrow that is around 11-12 per pound of draw wieght.  That's just my opinion.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Sarah, your specs are very close to mine, well, except the age thing...  :rolleyes:  Feel free to PM me and ask questions.

I went to the Trad Club forum and did a search. Here is a trad organization in your state. I went to the shoot schedule calendar and came up with this. You can navigate the site from there.

http://hawkeyemail.net/iba/iba_calendar.htm

The most valuable thing that you can do is find trad shoots and get your hands on as many bows as you can. Your small stature makes shorter bows acceptable, (while longer bows are more forgiving, a short draw removes the discomfort of finger pinch) and you will likely be looking for a grip that is not too huge for your hand. Only you will be able to tell if a riser feels to heavy in the hand, or is so light that your bow hand flies all over the place.

I have evolved through solid fiberglass bows into mid-sixties and seventies Ben Pearsons, Damon Howatts and Bears, into Morrisons and Centaurs.

My favorite "cheapie" bows are Bear Kodiak Magnums, Grizzlies, and Super Kodiaks, favorite Ben Pearson is a Colt 707 I got when I was fifteen. I got a BP All-American from a deadbeat-unit-sale at a mini-warehouse and it shoots real well, too.

These are just some ideas I'm throwing out there, there are other members with more up-to-date info on starter three-piece recurves, which ones are made the best, shoot the smoothest and have the best warranties/service. The tip about placing an ad in the trad bow want-ads is a good one, too.

Be sure to read the warnings at the beginning of the forum.
Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Saw this on the St. Judes auction and figured you might want to take a look.  Good price and a good cause as well.

http://tradgang.net/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=121;t=000010

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Start out light like 35# my wife and daughter both shoot some, I started my daughter out with a 40# and soon discovered it was to much for her so we dropped down to 35# for her and my wife. That weight seems to be the ticket for beginners. Look for a good used bow to get you started, glad to have you join our camp   :campfire:      
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang Sarah!!!! There is a lot of good talk and good people to get you started.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the gang. I'll put in my two cents here. Listen to what Stone Knife said. Please don't think you have to get a heavy bow straight away. You can buy a light weight bow, develop your form without risk of injury or getting frustrated. Then when you are comfortable with your shooting, and want to try going up in weight, you will have no problem selling the bow to help pay for your next one.
I hate hearing about people that give up archery because they couldn't get confident with the bow, just because it was too heavy for them.
Have fun with your archery and always remember that this is one of the best places to get advice and encouragement.
    :wavey:

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Sarah.  If you are around Des Moines check out Barfoot Traditions.  They have alot of used bows and an indoor range to try them out.  If you are close to the MN border you can check out The Footed Shaft in Rochester and Lamont has alot of used bows to try out also.  Just missed the ITBS trad shoot in Ames on Memorial Day weekend.  Otherwise I would start out with a cheaper used bow, till you decide exact what you like and what works for you.
Chris

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Sarah,
Please, do not over bow yourself in the beginning! It will ruin your form and confidence! As noted you will be able to get set up petty inexspensively to start. A 30# bow with apropriate arrrows will shoot just as fast as a 40-50#er. Shoot the light bow intill your form is just a natural thing to do for you. There are many top shooters on this sight that will be more than willing to help you if you ask. once you are confident in you form (consistant) and want to move up in wt. for a hunting bow then go for it! You should easilly be able to get set up with two bows (light & heavy) for under $600.00. Get the light one and wait a while and try out as many bows as you can before you buy the heavy one so that you get the right bow for you to hunt with... Above all else, keep it fun!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
The classifieds here will get you more than set-up for under $600. You can also buy a new Quinn for under $300 and have a bow you can get heavier limbs for as you get stronger and have a real shooter of a bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I agree with Vermonster.I was also going to suggest a Quinn Stallion.I would start with about 30# at 28" limbs for a 60" bow.You really need a light weight to learn good form.If you think at all about the weight of holding the string at full draw it is too heavy to learn on.

The Quinn Stallion is about $250 new with a warranty.It would allow you to get a set of heavier limbs later and limbs aren't too expensive for that bow.

The Quinn really is a bow that shoots as well as many much more expensive bows.Just do a search on Quinn and see.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks everyone again for the advice! It's nice to hear similar stories of women getting setup. Encouraging too.

If I went with the Quinn, wouldn't I want something heavier than 30# since I would really only be pulling 24# at 26"?

I'm going to take your good advice and try for a used bow (or perhaps a Quinn). The Footed Shaft is not too far but it will take me a week before I will be able to get up there.

Until then, my ears are wide open for more advice.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Go with a Quinn.  Buy one set of light limbs and then get a hunting weight set. Thats what I would do.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Sarah
When you get ready to hunt you will want to pull as much weight as you can accuratly shoot.The problem is that if you try to learn shooting using too much weight you will learn bad habits.It doesn't matter if you can pull it easily enough.If you learn what a good shot sequence feels like with a light weight bow,when you go to heavier limbs it will have become automatic and the weight won't matter as much.

You can learn on any bow light enough, but for the price and the ability of a takedown bow to go up in weight after you learn shooting,it will be very hard to beat the Quinn.

IMHO it would even do some of the stronger men good to practice with a light weight bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©