3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Female Beginner  (Read 1064 times)

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Female Beginner
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Quinn is an outstanding bow!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
Sarah

welcome to Iowa! Lots of traditional shooting going on here. The Footed Shaft in Rochester, MN is a great place to go and try some used bows. LeMont is a fine fellow and will steer you right. If you are not too far from Iowa City, you can come on down and shoot.

Most bows are measured at 28" draw length so you will be pulling about 6 lbs less at your 26" draw. A bow in the 35-45(@28") range would be fine for learning and eventual hunting.

Going to a traditional 3-D shoot is a fun way to get to try lots of bows and get some pointers not to mention meet lots of folks.

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
My girl has an interest too, so I got her a Jack Howard Classic, she loves it!

And; several O.L. Adcock's, original and Dave's Schafer Silver Tips, some Black Widows, Groves, original Bighorn, Matlock,and a few others. She just has to grow into them.

Offline old arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Welcome Sarah
it sounds like you are close to Lake Mills, a trip to Rochester Mn, the Footed Shafthe usually has a number of used bows on hand. Pm me and I will give you his address and phone. just a thought..

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Sarah,I am from Mn and also would recomend the footed shaft.He usually has good selection and great to deal with.Also Coon Rapids club has trad. 3-D shoot fathers day weekend,lots usually available there as well. Good luck.cornfed

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I've got the address for the Footed Shaft and will make a trip up there as soon as I can (probably next weekend). Hopefully I'll come back and be ready to shoot on my own!

What sorts of questions do you ask before you buy a bow (or what sorts of questions should I ask...)?

Also, is there anything specific I should be looking for in any of the specs?

I've seen a lot of bow materials (metal, wood, glass etc.) listed on bow specs, do materials matter?

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Where are you in Northern IA? The reason I ask is I know of a Hoyt dealer you has Genisis bows to get people started but is pro-compound in Lake Mills IA, (Great guy BTW, Just not a trad shooter)if you are in the Lake Mills area let me know. I have a good friend there whos wife, son and daughter all shoot trad and I am sure they can help you out, I have built them all alot of bows over the years so they may have a loaner laying around to. I am about 15 miles south of them.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
"Can I try this one?"

Killdeer  :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Jason,
I'm in Lake Mills. the Hoyt Dealer you are thinking of is probably the guy I know, John Carlson. He is a great guy.

I would love to get the information for that family you know! I'll PM you right away.

:)

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sarah:

What sorts of questions do you ask before you buy a bow (or what sorts of questions should I ask...)?

Have the dealer or seller check you for eye dominance. I know you said you are right handed but with traditional bows it doesn't matter so much. Both hands will be doing something that feels strange in the beginning. My wife and daughter are right handed but left eye dominant so they shoot "left handed" (i.e. hold the bow in the right hand to align the arrow under their dominant, left, eye.) It's confusing, I know but easy to check. Any trad dealer should be able to help you.
It's worth repeating the advice to start with light weight bows. I know how you feel, when I started I wanted the heaviest bow I could draw back. I think most people begin that way. Please trust on this one start light #25 or #30 @ 28 is not too light to start with. And ask for advice on form. Archers love to spread the addiction.    :D   The more advice you get in the beginning the less you'll have to unlearn later.
Aram

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Well said, Aram. You always come up with something pertinent and wise.

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Aram (and Killdeer):

Hah! I've just had a revelation. All this time I thought I was right eye dominant, but whenever I've done the test (for fun, you know it just gets brought up sometimes) I was doing it wrong!

I just redid it correctly and am left-eye dominant.

How does this change things?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
That all depends on what aiming method you use to shoot with.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Some say that with instinctive shooting it doesn't matter which eye is dominant so shoot from your physically dominant side. If you gap shoot, split gap, etc. Having the dominant eye closer to the string makes life and hitting much easier.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
i am right handed but left eye dominat, i believe you will definitly want a right handed bow unless you are left handed? i can shoot both right and left handed but not to well lefty.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
Sarah is is GOOD to see you here!!! WELCOME!!!  :thumbsup:
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Sarah my wife is right handed and left eye dominant.  She shoots right handed because when she tried a left handed bow it felt odd to her and she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.  Shooting right handed was where her strength was and she feels confident.  Funny thing though, she shoots a shotgun for sporting clays left handed.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Sarah,
Welcome! You are getting lots of good advice here. Your specs are similar to mine also "except for the age thing". I was on my own when I started. I'm helping my niece get started and she is coming along alot faster than I ever did. So I'm sure you will do great. There are some nice starter bows you can get for around $200.00. The Great Tree Deermaster from 3RA is one that I can recommend. If you can make it to some shoots, that would be good. I think my best advice would be to work on form and don't worry about accuracy until your form is pretty good. I love to help getting new ones started so if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Feel free to pm me. I may have some equipment that needs a new home.
 :archer:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
b.glass:

The Deermaster looks like a beautiful bow (but what do i know!). What makes you recommend it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©