3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever kill a deer with 50# and a Snuffer?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ever kill a deer with 50# and a Snuffer?
« on: February 17, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Playing with some arrows out of my 50# bow and the Snuffers are shooting as good as the Wensel Woodsmans for me.  Was going to go with the WW due to the low weight I am pulling on this bow.  Has anyone out there actually killed a deer with around a 50# bow and Snuffers.  If so, how much penetration, distance to deer, total arrow weight, type of arrow, length of arrow,   :notworthy:  etc.  Your input will help me make a decision on which broadhead I am going to do for this set up.  Thanks in advance!

Mike
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever kill a deer with 50# and a Snuffer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
YEP!!!!

My first trad deer.  I was shooting a Morrison Dakota that was about 53#@27" with a 55-75 Goldtip arrow, regular insert and 200 grain Snuffer.  Severed the spinal column completely and droped her like a sack of hammers.  I put a swcond one thru her in a matter of seconds that ended her life almost instantly.  This was about a 17 yard shot on a WV whitetail doe out of a treestand.  If they are sharp and put in the boiler room, they will WORK!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
sure have...but my longbow is only 46#s and my arrows (carbons) total hunting weight is 425 grains and I've not shot a deer beyond 15 yards 'yet'. If it's an adult deer (buck or doe) broadside or slightly quartering I get the Snuffer out the opposite side (usually after breaking ribs on both sides) but not a complete arrow pass-thru but, LOT'S of blood. I don't want to start a 2 vs 3 vs 4 thing here but I've shot deer with all three and the ONLY heads I'll use are 3 or 4 blade. Now' with that being said. I did get complete arrow pass-thrus when I tried 2-blade heads with the EXACT same bow and arrows but VERY, VERY little blood. You'll NEVER regret using Snuffers.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
last year 125 grain snuffer and 45# recurve, penatration was between the last two ribs and beded itslef into the far shoulder almost comming out. XX75 aluminum arrow around 500 grains. shot wa about 17 to 19 yards from about 17 feet up in a tree. I beleive if I would have been shooting 50 then it would have gone all the way through.
TGMM

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
How about some arrow details guys....  Total arrow weight, distance to animal, arrow material, etc.  I am playing with Beman MFX Classics 31" long with 250 grains out front for 600 grains +/- for my 28 1/2" draw.  I compute it at about 12 grains per pound.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I called Roger Rothhaar (inventor of the Snuffer) last week and he had an interesing point...He thinks that the penetration problems anyone has with Snuffers come from imperfect arrow flight. He has gotten passthroughs on all sorts of big stuff with 60# bows....including one on a bison at 45-50yards! Moose, elk, etc. I think you'll be just fine.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
sounds like a lethal set-up...just get use to sharpening them Snuffers because you'll be pulling them out of the ground on the opposite side of the deer you shoot

happy hunting

Online Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I had one of my most interesting shots on a 120 lb. buck with a snuffer, wood shaft (total around 500 grains) and a 52#@27" Palmer. It was a good double lung shot from a tree stand. Complete pass through at about 12 yards and (this is absolutely no lie or exaggeration) next thing I knew something landed in the tree limbs above my head. I looked up and there, laying across some limbs in the tree, was my blood soaked arrow. I had to take my bow and tap the limbs above my head to let the arrow drop.

To this day I can't figure out how that arrow from 15 feet up in a tree passed through the deer 12 yards away and somehow reversed direction and flew back towards me like it did landing ABOVE my head. TRUE STORY.

Buck ran 50 yards. I killed a few more with the same set up, no problem as long as I didn't hit shoulder. I prefer a 2 blade myself.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
With that setup, you're good to kill deer no problem.  I've shot deer with 45lb. bows, and the big snuffers with arrows weighing around 550 grains and have had excellent results.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
i shot 3 small pigs and 1 doe with a 47 @ 28 in. recurve. the arrows where wood w/ 3 5 1/2 high back banana feathers. and after not getting the arrows to peirce the opposite side i decided i was tempting fate and stop shooting them. after season i swapped bows and i haven't decided what head i will shoot next year. all of the above animals died in under 40 yards with monsterous blood trails even going threw one side. and they where all shot from ground level. i did lose one buck due to a poor shot selction on my side and as a result had poor penetration.
my dad kill a 10 pt. this year with a 43 @ 29 sarrels longbow and he got complete penetration and the buck was dead in under 40 oe 50 yards.
so you never can tell. but i wont shoot them again with that light of equip. jmho.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the input thus far guys.  Wow Dave that is one magic Snuffer   :biglaugh:    I have skipped some arrows in the back yard off the top of a target but they never changed direction.  Was the tip smashed up or what...you would have had to richocet off of at least two rocks I would think to get one coming back at you.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/ad2877/Picture127.jpg
 Here is the result of a Snuffer 125, 28 1/2 inch 2013's and a 48#@26 Wes Martin Mosshorn. I could see the blood trail from my treestand!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Didn't use Snuffers but I blew through two whitetails this past season with my 40@26 DAS and Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade heads.  Any sharp head will do the trick, whats important is the shot placement.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Yep, them Snuffers do a great job!!

This is one I killed with a 64" 53#@28" Wes Wallace Mentor. Arrow Dynamics Trad-Lite arrow cut to 29" with about 250 grains up front with the Snuffer and insert. Total arrow weight was around 580-600 grains (would have to weigh one again, I forget at the moment)....

Complete passthru from less than 20 yards....

In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Nice shot yleecoyote23
TGMM

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
STD, I like my 160 snuffers that I use with my 65-70# Ash arrows & Shrew 52#@26" bow... does a great job on Whitetails

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Wow those Snuffer hits look like a shovel went through the deer   :p  I'd love to see some similar pictures from deer killed with Wensel Woodsman heads for comparrison.  Thanks for all the responses guys   :notworthy:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I have shot a couple with bows just under 5olbs.The longest was around 25yds.They worked fine but I switched to the bigger 2 blade heads when I dropped bow weight.More passthroughs and more blood that way.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Seeking Trad Deer:
Wow those Snuffer hits look like a shovel went through the deer         :p        I'd love to see some similar pictures from deer killed with Wensel Woodsman heads for comparrison.  Thanks for all the responses guys         :notworthy:      
The other deer I killed this past season was with my Habu T/D recurve 62" 57.5#@28" using a GT Trad 75/95 with a WW and a 100 grain brass BH adapter. Arrow is just a little less than 600 grains. Another passthru (was 18-20 yrds or so), with the WW the arrow hardly even slowed down, but the Habu SLAMS those arrows compared to my other bows...     http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/yleecoyote23/FtDavisWhitetail07005.jpg      http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/yleecoyote23/FtDavisWhitetail07003.jpg

Like has already been said on here, doesn't matter that much what type of BH you use as long as the arrows have good flight, BHs are sharp, and you put 'em in the boiler room.....
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Killed this doe with a 145 gr snuffer on a 600 grain SST carbon.  Bow was a 53# Wapiti T/D.  Shot 6 yards and complete pass thru.  Blood trail was wonderful.

Brett

50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©