3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It's a shooter  (Read 1098 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
It's a shooter
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I took the bow I built for my grandson out today to a new construction area that is flat and has plenty of room. I made a 24" arrow out of a 1/4" poplar dowel. I used a nock from the old thin carbon arrows that slip over the shaft and fletched it with three 2" spinwing vanes. With only a tapered end for a point it weighed 182 grains. I made the string with 8 strands of B50 and double thick serving so the arrows would fit right for the grandkids so I'm sure if I cut the strands to 6 and just a couple of inches of serving it would shoot a bit further. I shot 3 times before it started getting dark. Using my nikon lazer rangefinder the first arrow went 142 yards. the 2nd flew terrible and made 130 yards, and the last flew the best for 146 yards. I drew it back about 22" each time so the draw weight was around 16 lbs. I don't have any experience with flight shooting so I don't have any idea if this is any good or not. But it sure surprised me that it shot that far. So what do you guys think?
The grandkids love competition so this summer when my wife and I have the kids for 5 days I'm going to set up a flight competition for them. I better get busy making bows and arrows cause we will have 9 of the grandkids this year.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It's a shooter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
AWESOME! Glad ya got it made ok. Now if that OTHER bow works out that will be GREAT!LOL That grandson will be a happy little archer.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
man' that's a sweet lookin' bow...I wish you were my grandpa!   LOL

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Nice!  Lucky Grandkids!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Very nice!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Thats a nice lookin bow Galen.Your grandkids will love it!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Galen. Ya know, if you have the room a few holes of archery golf might be fun for them so they have to shoot near AND far. Mike

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Oh cool idea Mike, thanks!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Sounds like You better get to Shaving Material if all 9 bows are going to be as NICE as That One!! Good For You, and Good For The GrandKids!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Very nice bow, looking good.
Bue--.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Does anyone have an opinion on the distance this little bow shot?

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Thats a great looker as well as a shooter. Great distance too.
 3 Rivers has some points and nocks to fit the 1/4" shafts.They sell 1/4" ramin shafts cheap too.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Thanks Pete I'll check those out. Looks like I'll need a bunch of them. My main concern is a broken arrow causing an injury so I'm trying to find durable shafts that are fairly light.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©