3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: same g/tips different spine  (Read 453 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
same g/tips different spine
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »
i'm shooting 3555 g/tips from my recurve. i had a normal hunter expedition (black) tuned really well. so i decided to buy a dozen. i bought some camo ones, same arrow, and they shoot weak. weak enough that i think that i'll have to trim them to get them to shoot okay. man, i'm so frustrated. why would the colour of the arrow change it???? change one tiny variable and i get burnt. annoying!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: same g/tips different spine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
Unlucky, Clint! I noticed that the GoldTip model in black weighs differently, slightly, to the same model in camo. I wouldn't have thought it would affect it that much, but the thought crosses my mind of the extra weight of one verion along its length decreasing the dynamic spine...but, I'd think it's highly unlikely. Any chance you could try 5575s with a bit more weight up-front?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
yeah the camo's weigh slightly less. shouldn't that make them stiffer than the blacks. i'm bewildered. i'll just have to spend more time trimming and trying to replicate the blacks. i wouldn't have thought i would have so much trouble setting up.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Yeah, mate, something's fishy - it shouldn't make noticeable difference anyway if it's the same model and spine just in a different paint job. A mystery...
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
Funny, I've had a very similar experience with the 5575s.

I bought a dozen GT Trads, they like 100gn inserts with 200gn up front.
Bought another dozen GTs, this time the funky Nugent zebra stripe pattern. Anything over 50gn inserts with the same 200gn points & they show VERY weak!
Both shot from the same bow, fletched identically & all are exactly the same length (full)

Go figure!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
yeah well today i did some trimming. 1/4" at a time. ended up trimming 1" off then i had to stop, as any shorter i would draw the point into the riser. yep they are still weak, better but still weak. looks like i'm up for another dozen. this time they will be normal black ones!!! it has been an expensive exercise trying to find arrows for this thing, as that was the 2nd doz that was no good. at first i thought it was my release but as i got consistant nock left i relised my release must be reasonably consistant. which i figure is GOOD? all i want is good arrow flight so i can start some serious practise. i'm tired of coming home from the 'sand pit' frustrated. i want to enjoy flinging arrows around. anyway thats enough complaining from me. thanks!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
A friend of mine had a dozen of the black GT 3555 and when we spine tested them they were discovered to by 5575.  I'm not kidding, they spined at 400 but the 3555 should spine 500.  He could not igure out why on set of 3555 shot well and the other weak.  I concluded that they were mis-marked; maybe you have the same problem.  Cutting an inch and still not getting stiff enough tells me that you are off by a whole spine range.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
I have had bad luck with gold tips being spined differently.  They went through a bad spell with manufactoring and supposed to have gotten it straight.  I quit using them.  I have however had very good luck with the small diameter easton axis and beman mfx.  I like the mfx team realtrees and the axis fmj's cause they are a little heavier.  Fly well and are very tough.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm the guy Cupcake is talking about. I have tested about 15dz GoldTips. The Trads, Pro's, XT, Camo..... Most of the shafts tested different than the stated spine. Another thing is the 360 deg spine is off also. I tested a 55/75 (.400 spine) cock feather .425, first hen .405, last hen ..415.  some shafts were off more than that. I found other mfg shafts off as well. Carbon Express was the closest to stated spine... Funny thing though, unless way off they all flew well......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
so i'm not the only one who has had this kind of drama! that's some what comforting. the seeds of doubt have been sown on buying more g/tips. do you think axis 500's at full length will be okay. bow is- 55#@28" (i'm pulling 52#) with 250gr b/head and 3gr/" wt. tube. i have tested some ST excel 400's and they were way to stiff. cheers
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »
You should be fine with the 500s with that point-weight. You shouldn't need the weight tubes though, Axis are plentyheavy enough (actually, I'm not even sure they'll fit the skinny carbons. Hang on, I'll go a & check with some MFXs......)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
When I worked for a retailer 2 summer's ago, GT had a plant in MX. The govt reportedly made them MOVE (something about govt. owns a lot of the commercial buildings or some drama) so in mid-summer, gearing up for the pre-fall runs, they had to pack up all the machinery and move to another location! then the saga continued that they'd not pre-ordered enough carbon cloth to make the arrows...and it was being used up in the "war effort."

Point was they had zero inventory in the pipeline for the fall. We had zip.  And our parent company was a huge US archery distributor!

I wondered if they cut corners to catch up or otherwise have QC issues. Vendors have said they'd not heard anything negative back, but a few batches in the pipeline, and with the breadth of membership here on Gang, you can bet we'll hear about it.

I still have 3 doz 5575 in the pack from a few years back. I've got 2 bows tuned to them.  

Working at the shop, I'd not heard folks having trouble w/ anything but weight change from the trads to black in the same spine range...but that was prior to the fiasco above.

:(  Sad to hear of this. They are/were/can be very decent shafts!

Since every carbon I know is wrapped around a mandril, whether parallel or tapers as some, there are start stop areas of overlap.

That is what I've been told cause the "high spot" and some mfg. recommend finding that spot and using that for the cock feather so it's at the same consistent position. Once "tuned" and everyone oriented the same, the theory... :)  is that it will consistently behave the same and not effect accuracy.

now my head hurts...that is everything I ever learned!   :D
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Doc, I know what you're saying. after I did all the testing, I found that if they were close, they all flew well. I still shoot them, great shaft for the $$$. Like in most cases, to much information can mess with your head  :knothead:
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
looks like i might have salvaged the doz camo's. fletched up one that is now an inch shorter and they fly good. lesson learnt! thanks y'all.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Can the "high spot" be found without a spine tester?
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
seems I heard ya float em....

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Grizzly Alaskan come with a note that says something to the effect of putting one end on a smooth table top or glass...the the other end in the palm of your other hand...then some pressure in the middle and roll them back and forth..the high spot is supposed to "bump."

Any of you guys having done this be more graphic?  Does the same work for other carbons?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©