3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Attack  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Moose Attack
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
This isn't directly traditional related, but the pictures are just so amazing I had to share.  I guess these hunters are about as traditional as you can get.  
They were forwarded to me with a memo saying they had been taken by a late season bow hunter in Northern Minnesota.  I don't know how the guy ever got out of his tree!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Attack
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
That is wild. Good luck slipping out of the tree with out being seen with that many eyes.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Pictures were taken from a helicopter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
VT ya beat me to it.

Go here for the whole story and a couple other very cool stories about the woves involverd.

It an Isle Royale web page

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/photo_essay.htm

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
U don't miss much, do ya Vermonster?!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
A helicopter sure makes more sense than a guy in a treestand.  After watching something like that I think I would have decided that I could just live the rest of my life right up in that tree!

Regardless, it is an incredible glimpse into a world very few ever see.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
Very cool pics,thanks Dan for the link,I have been reading there for most of the afternoon.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
Dang, If I was in a tree and had a full quiver just look at all the new quivers and such I could of had,LOL. Cool pics.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 02:47:00 AM »
Hope he had a big quiver full of arrows, and a shovel......

Oh ,wait, that wasn't very PC of me!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:01:00 AM »
wow what a series of photos.
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I could see  ME  taking Those Pics, about the time I Fell Outta the Tree in the Midst of it!!
     Get All caught up in the Moment, and Splat!! Shakes for Dessert!  :scared:    :scared:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Once in a 10 lifetime chance of seeing that?
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Too many Wolves!
The hunt is the trophy!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Steve, I am with Danny on this one, though the shovel is good advise.  I might not have enough arrows for all of them but they would be thinned out.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
WOOOOFAAAA heavy duty right there!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
If the guy had been in a tree stand he would have ran out of arrows before wolves!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Thats why you take plenty of arrows. Even if they are blunts. Man what I wouldn't give to trade places when that pic was taken. Quiver full of arrows(flu flu's, blunts and broad heads), then on the ground bayonet and hatchet. Get some, get it all. Waitin for an invite

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
I'ld be more afraid of the moose then the wolves. From what I understand only a handfull of people have ever been attacked by a wolf in the U.S. in recorded history and the only one killed was a small child.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
String Cutter:
  Most people that are exposed to wolf envirnment in the PAST have been hunters; or trappers and in general - armed people.
 People chased by wolves don't get counted by pro-wolf people for any data.
 I do know of one person that was killed by wolves; I saw a long explanation of how the guy screwed up by running ( after other methods failed) and that MADE the wolves chase the man and kill him. I am sure the wolves are in therapy now - if I got the point of the wolf biologists story about it.
 I can tell you that where I live they are pushing the limit- I lost a baby donkey to a pack of wolves that had been and did; stampede my pack stock- I was there and saw it happen.
 Because it died when it jumped and fell on its nose; and broke its neck- the death will figure into absolutely no data anywhere.
 That is the dirty little secret. You get chased; it doesn't go down as wolf aggression; it is not recorded that way anywhere- because its just a case of the wolves mistaking a human for an elk.
 Thing is; the fish and game here tells people to back up and walk away; and that is not something I think a preditor such as this: to learn is acceptable behavior !
 And its not an uncommon thing either!!
 I have seen wolves kill a deer and an elk near my cabin - I just walked outside at the right time. Although: the story on the moose killed- was that it lasted 40 minutes; from first contact- to the apparent death of the moose.
 I have seen them chasing lone antelope; and I have seen 3 legged bears ( Alaska biologists learned in studies that wolves pull bears from their dens- 3 legged bears are survivors) and there are 'lost dog' and 'lost cat' posters in North Fork and Salmon- and I know people that have lost hunting dogs to the wolves.
 I know a trapper that has trapped for 60 years plus; and he lost every single animal he trapped to wolves in one of two areas he was trapping.
 Thing is - the more we put up with the bad behavior - the higher the chances of a human being killed.
 Outfitters and their hunters have had to back off from the wolves; and everyone now is waiting for the wolves to be delisted and for tags to be issued.
 From the original goal of establishing 100 wolves and 10 breeding pairs -before control measures would begin- we are up to 41 known breeding pairs and 700+ wolves.
 The sick part is the waste- they don't eat all they kill; or follow up what they injure.
 I watched a cow elk with back of the leg injuries the other day - that had magpies on it all down its back; and they were picking at the wounds- they do that until they hit an artery...it came into yards of a house for protection from the wolves.
  It is a traditional bow issue; the pro wolf people gloat about when the wolves kill all the deer and elk and the 'hunters are left with nothing to hunt'.
 Its a sick situation to find a half dozen rotten bull elk with bites out of their back legs; where they got tricked into running uphill into deep snow- where the long legged wolves rip them up.
 WE HAD WOLVES BEFORE THEY BROUGHT THESE IN FOR 'REINTRODUCTION'.
 Our fish and game had a gag order put on them to keep silent about that- as the native wolves were 1/3 smaller - it was all about politics.
 Our governor at the time is now the secretary of the interior.
  Its sick on every level.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
I wonder if any newspaper would publish those pictures letters to editor & maybe contact local TV news channel. If we could get pictures like this in front of the public maybe just maybe things would change. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©