3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Bows and TS-1  (Read 424 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Bows and TS-1
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Well you all know I'm a hard-headed, don't like change kinda' guy when it comes to archery; however, I just ordered a couple TS-1 strings  and want to hear from other Hill shooters who have tried it.
I had used it on a Samick Hawkeye and it worked fabulously on that bow, so I'm thinking it should be friendly with the Big-5 as well. The tips are plenty beefy with elk antler overlays and the inserted fiberglass on the tip.

Talk to me Hill and Hill-Style shooters.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Bows and TS-1
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
That's what Jack Harrison recommends for my HHC and HSS. An endless loop string I might add. Zero stretch in the string as far as I can tell. Where are you getting your new ones George? I don't want to pay $22.50 per string again.
lll

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I PM'd you killinstuff.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
George,  PM me.

Nate

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
George I put a Jenkin's TS-1 on my Wesley and everything improved, I'll put a TS-1 on my next Hill as well,,OL
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
OK call me dumb but what is a TS-1 string, and do they need to be padded? Not trying to steal your thread George   :pray:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
What is the difference between TS 1 and D97 I’m not familiar with TS 1.....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
It's TS Plus now--basically Brownell's answer to BCY's Formula 8125.  100% Dyneema, small diameter.  8125 is 92% Dyneema, Dynaflight '97 is 100% Dyneema (larger diameter though).

I have a spool, but haven't had time to tinker with it.  I've heard two things over and over about it--one, it's usually very quiet;  two, it has a lot of initial stretch/creep.

Chad

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
George, answered ya "over there" so I won't repeat, but my observations have been the opposite of what Chad stated regarding initial stretch. I have gotten more initial stretch out of my 12 strand D-97's than I have my 14 strand TS+. Could be because of the number of strands but the finished strings appear to have the same overall diameter. Both have been very quiet on my Hills with whiskers, and I don't see any real performance difference between the two. Stoneknife, I like 3 bundle strings with the loops padded with 6 extra strands.
As always, your results may vary!  :thumbsup:  

Regards....Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
I have a ts-1 and a d-97 string for my hill, and cant tell any difference between the two.  For me, they were both big improvements over my dacron string.  Both seem a bit faster, about as quiet, and less handshock.

Guy I bought mine from isnt a sponser, but made one heck of a string with padded loops for $12.00!!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
I like to use D97 for mine,a 12 strand D97 is strong enough for up to a 100 lb. bow.I make all my strings the same 12 strands with .024 Halo and pad the loops with an extra 3 strands per bundle.I shoot the same string on my bows from 50# to 83#,I have the same nock fit with this combo.I don't know about TS-1 but the D97 is alot quieter then Brownell old Fast flight.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
I have experienced much more creep/stretch with TS+ over D-97 like Chad mentioned.  TS+ makes a really good string, but on my bow at least it is a little louder than D-97, but much quieter than FF and FF+.

Performance and shooting characteristics are identical to D-97 as far as I can tell.  I would expect either to work very well on a Hill, or any modern longbow for that matter.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
I as well have had much more initial stretch with ts plus.  I have been sticking to good ole df-97.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
TS-1, DF97 FF, etc is all I use on my hills. Makes 'em a touch faster, lessens any hand buzz and reduces forearm slap. No downside to using non stretchy stuff that I can see.

But note that Mr. Ekins says non-stretch material will reduce the life of the bow. But won't declare by how much. My purely anecdotal evidence suggests you'll only get 250,000 shots as opposed to 350,000 shots by using TS-1 etc.   :)

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
It seems everyone get's more initial stretch with TS+ except me. I swear I had to twist up the TS more when I first put the strings on. Could be these TS+ strings were pre-stretched more than the D97's. Don't know for sure but I will align my opinion with those with more experience with them. Can't go wrong with either IMO.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Spanky, there can be variations in one spool of string material to the next--could be your string was made from a better spool, or whoever made your TS string pre-stretched it and the Dyna string wasn't pre-stretched.  That can make a big difference.

I'll get around to tinkering with the TS material I have and will try to remember to post about it.  Right now I'm too far behind to think about it.

Chad

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks Chad, I look forward to reading your findings!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »
I asked Craig Ekins about using Non stretch, he said it would reduce the life of the bow by half.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
The question though is how long is the life of the bow? I mean you've got bows that are still shooting after 50 years.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
That is it! how long do they have to last, my lifetime is good enough for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©