3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buckskins for hunting?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
Buckskins for hunting?
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of you wear Buckskin clothing to hunt in?  If you do what do you do to waterproof them?
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buckskins for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
I have a time or two.I rub them with Snow Seal,then melt it in with a hair dryer.Those skins are 28 years old & black from dirt & blood & whatever else I've fell or rolled in over the years.Still shed water pretty good.  Leland

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I love the looks and the "romance" of buckskin clothing, but still think I will stay with my Filson wool.  I believe braintan clothing is much softer, will breathe, and is water repellant if properly "smoked"/
Lon Scott

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Where can you buy a buck skin shirt?
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
From an Indian.  :p
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Like Blackhawk, the romanticism of wearing buckskins to hunt in is sometimes overwhelming. But I'm just a leetle bit scared of being the same color as a deer........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
slickhead -I got mine off of e-bay.  

I do not hunt real cold weather here. So wool is too hot and i am thinking that the buckskin may be also.  But i am gonna try.

Biggie - I also have some reservations about being that EXACT same color as an Elk! I do not hunt in a crowded area, but I will be nervous anyway!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Blackhawk, this shirt is not "smoked at all.  I figure I am going to have to put some type of sealant on it.

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
I have been for a couple seasons now. They are great to wear. Comfortable and quiet. Unfortunately, some lowlife stole these a couple days after this photo was taken.
I do have a new set being made.

No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm with Biggie on this one. But I have to set you straight Biggie.  No pants and skin tone legs looks a whole lot like buckskins to an approaching gun hunter.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Shovel buck - Those are nice! Sorry about the scumbag, hopefully they will turn up.

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Biggie...

But I'm just a leetle bit scared of being the same color as a deer........
You're kinda like me.  No one that can see to hunt is going to mistake either of US as a deer!!   :bigsmyl:

An elk or possibly a moose, but NOT a deer!

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Shovelbuck - Who makes them for ya?

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Too hot for 'skins for the Georgia bow season. Maybe just a breach clout and moccasins.   :D
Remember the Alamo!

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Zbone, PM sent.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
When I got my first set of 'skins about 20 years ago (still have them), the guy who made them told me not to hang them on the clothesline or a biker would steal them. LOL.BTW you can wash buckskins. Woolite, gentle cycle, and in the final rinse pour in some Lexol. Couple ounces should do. Tumble on no heat in the dryer until near dry , then put them on and dry them the rest of the way, "on site" so to speak. Also you want pants or leggings to be long to begin with and wear them and let them wear down to the perfect length, which should drag the ground a bit. BTW ther's nothing colder than leather skins in the winter.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Flinttim - Are the skins cold even with longhandles under 'em?

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Never got cold with my pants. All though they were fairly heavy elk hide.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Seems in the winter the moisture likely causes the cold more than the actual temp. If you can get thermals on under the skins you would be fine.A good compromise for winter would be cotton or linen knee breeches and bucksin leggings. My leggings are elk  and do well in this setup.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
This is an older picture....can you tell?     :rolleyes:   These skins hang on my wall now.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©