3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buckskins for hunting?  (Read 823 times)

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buckskins for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Ron,
  Those are great pictures!  Did you do anything special to those skins for hunting, as far as water proofing?

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

Ron , when I wanted my first set of skins I asked a friend how he got that rich dark color of his 'skins. He said it came from a hundred campfires and bacon grease, dirt and blackpowder smoke. LOL. I opted to buy mine already dark .LOL
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline StandingStone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Slickheadhunter:
Where can you buy a buck skin shirt?
If you or anyone interested I can send you an address of a lady that lives here in central Pa that makes them. Thats all she does for a living making 1700's period clothing, she can make you a full british uniform to a normal woodsmens outfit.

I don't know whoever if I would wear a buckskin shirt however. I have seen people that have them and they say they are really hot. If you wanna go with traditional clothing I would say the best thing would be buckskin pants, muzzlin shirt, and a hunting frock if it was chilly.
Brett Kauffman

Standing Stone Traditional Archers of Central Pa

For more info. about all of our Traditional only 3-D shoots and our Annual Fathers Day Weekend Rendezvous please join us on facebook.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I have a shirt made from Mule deer skins, and I really like it for early deer season. It slips through the briars where they bed without a sound.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
If you are interested in primitive clothing check out this website

http://www.historicaltrekking.com/
Lots of vendors listed for clothing.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
cool site, Flintim. Thanks!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
i would like a pair. where can i get some? I have always been interested in them, and admire those who actually use them to hunt.

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks standing stone,I would love the address.I have seen the buckskin a dark chocolate color and thats what I would lean towards because of safety reasons.It gets cold here in New Hampshire and almost always have tracking snow for muzzleloader seasothe first week of November up where my camp is in northern NH.so if they are warm...thats a good thing.
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
http://www.garysgunsmithshop.com/
 I bought mine from Gary a long long time ago. The kit form is easy and saves some $$$. Gary has a booth at Friendship every shoot, so I guess I've know him for nigh on 27 years.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks. they sure have some nice looking stuff. im going to have to look into that. Appreciate the help

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
The skins in the pictures I posted, I made myself. Many hours of cutting and sewing a lock stitch with artificial sinew. Don't use cow hide. Deer skin is softer and cooler. I've worn my skins in the summer and stayed cool because deer skin "breaths". just wear it right next to your skin. In colder weather wear long johns or something under them.

For a pattern I took apart an old pair of jenes and a shirt. A word of caution if you make your own...deer skin stretches so pre stretch the hides by pulling on them by hand. Still you'll have to make them snug and they'll stretch some more.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
I prefer braintan leggings and layered clothing underneath depending on weather conditions. Even with indigo blue dyed shirt I have not had problems scaring the deer away.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
OK, since leggings have been brought up.....What does a guy wear "under" the leggings?

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Ron, that is an awesome set-up there, that horse is a little newer than what the original Mountain man used though.

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
is it better smouth or rough side out ?

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
ttt
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
I wear cotton or wool breeches underneath the leggings depending on weather. Or if its hot I wear a breechclout instead of breeches.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Cotton or wool breechclout depending on weather or knee breeches. If you go with a wool breech clout , line the "working side" with light cotton cloth. You'll thank me.Oh, and most make their breechclouts way too long. I've seen them down past the knees. A proper length would be one barely peeking out below the shirt (depending on length of shirt). Best way to know is visit some sites like historical trekking. com and look at lots of pics. There's nothing cooler than a good pair of leggings and a proper breech cloth.

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Another site to go to is  www.dixiegunworks.com   Look under clothing and accessories and you can find buckskin and patterns to make your own. I've never done it however just thought I would pass on the information.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
If you buy commercial buckskin you will feel miserable. But braintan buckskin clothing is great to hunt in if the weather is right. Smoking will not waterproof braintan buckskins. The smoke will make the skin dry back soft after it got wet. If you're interested in th real deal,then see:  www.leatherwoodcrafts.com

By the way, I have 2 shirts,2 pair of leggings and breachcloths and a pair of pants all make from braintan buckskin.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©