3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footing carbons and issues...  (Read 539 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Footing carbons and issues...
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Im setting up some CE Heritage 150s for a buddy, and I went with 2117. I had to take the aluminum inserts out to replace with brass, and did that no problem today. I cut a section of 2117 with a tube cutter, and tried to slide it over the shaft...no luck. I figured I might have pinched it with the tube cutter, so I got out the dremel with the cone shaped grinder and cleaned it out good. Still not even close to fitting. These arent new shafts. Is it possible that the shaft diameter has changed in the last five years or so?
Anyone else have this problem? What size have you used to successfully foot CE 150's?? Any and all suggestions and/or advice welcomed. Thanks.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footing carbons and issues...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
ishiwannabe,There is a thread about footing carbon shafts with a lot of info for sizing.
I think the thread is called
footing sizing for carbon shafts or carbon shaft footing sizes. it was done about 8 weeks ago if you do a search. hope this helps
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Are you sliding them over the brass inserts,I've found that the brass inserts sometimes a slightly larger then the standard CX inserts.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »
they might not go over the brass insert like JRY309 mentioned
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
Also, are the CEs new, or have they been shot?

I was talking with Scott at PVA a while back about footing my GTs. He said that he foots all his with (I forget which) aluminum. But he told me that he's found that he has to do it before he shoots the arrow at all. He said once he shoots it, he can't get the aluminum footing to slide on the shaft.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Fyrfyter, they have all been shot(a lot it appears). My buddy got em through a trade and wanted me to set them up for the Muzzy shoot.
The aluminum will not slide over the shaft, I havent attempted the brass inserts yet. And I mean it is almost impossible to start the footing over the shaft, and then it is way too tight to move into place.
Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
for what its worth, have you tried the nock end for fit?  Might tell you if the manufactured diameter is changed or the shaft "mushroomed".  Might be possible you expanded it some removing the insert.....

just guessing
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Tubing cutters and aluminum are not a good mix.  You more than likely pinched the shaft more than you realize.  Try cutting them with your dremel using a cut off wheel then debur.  It's been awhile since I footed the 150's so I do not recall what shaft I used.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
BobW, the nock end is the same which is why I was leaning towards a specs change.
Badger, I even tried a whole arrow that was cut off with a arrow saw...no dice. I think I need to move up to the next size aluminum.
2216? Thats what the other thread says, anyone use em on 150's?
                         -Jamie

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I just goy my order of 2216's and they fit my new 250's like a glove....... don't know how they will fit on my "used" ones as the brass insert won't pass.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
i use 2216s on 150s and 250s mate
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
                         -Jamie

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
I use 2216's.  
If you only need to gain some micrometers, besides grinding out a bit.  you can heat the Aluminum slightly... too much of course will destroy it or make it to soft to work with.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Okay now!  Isn't this aluminum footing going to take away some of that good penetration that carbon is supposed to be noted for?  Isn't that one of the reasons people want carbon for hunting?  Inquiring minds want to know 8^).

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
George,  I foot mine too and I don't think an inch or so of foot is going to make a bit of difference.......But I've only footed my Muzzy arrows...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Okay now!  Isn't this aluminum footing going to take away some of that good penetration that carbon is supposed to be noted for?  Isn't that one of the reasons people want carbon for hunting?  Inquiring minds want to know 8^).
George,

I believe if the footing is the same diameter as the ferrule of the broadhead an inch or so isn't going to make much of a difference in penetration.

The benefits definitely out perform any possible disadvantage.

Ray  ;)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I thought I would try footing some aluminum with shrink tubing, letting it protrude just slightly over the end to cushion screw-in points.  Anyone try that?

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
George,
If penetration was the only reason I shot my carbons, they'd all weigh 1000 grains. My main reason for using carbons is the durabilty that comes with a set of very closely matched shafts. I think that's a main reason for many. Hence the footing. It takes a tough shaft to levels of toughness we thought we'd never see without shooting solid fiberglass or even steel...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
I thought I would try footing some aluminum with shrink tubing, letting it protrude just slightly over the end to cushion screw-in points.  Anyone try that?
I think a better idea might be to try some small o-rings between the arrow and the point.

I think the shrink tubing on the outside of the arrow would be a major headache on foam targets or just about any target for that matter.

Ray   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©