3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chrono'd my Palmer...what you think?  (Read 744 times)

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
Chrono'd my Palmer...what you think?
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I got the opportunity recently to chrono my Palmer double carbon (43@28 - I draw 29") and got the following results:

575 grain arrow - 165 FPS

Just thought I would put this out to see what you guys think.  

Gilbert/Amicus,

If you read this give me a call.  I lost my cell phone with your number and just wanted to see what hunting plans you've made for this fall.  I also wanted to know if they included me.  LOL!

Thanks.
Moon

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chrono'd my Palmer...what you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Tha't very impressive IMHO. Is that set up for hunting with silencers?

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm using a 16 strand FF string made by Chad Weaver (very good quality string) with woolie whispers.  It's set up and ready to hunt just the way it is.

It's a real smooth drawing bow,  shoots great and I've owned it six years.  Mike Palmer makes a quality bow and I highly recommend them.  It's too bad he now only offers a high dollar bow.  I shot his new bow (trad-salm) at his shop last year and it shot great, however I already own two and couldn't justify the expense.
Moon

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
165 fps with a 12.5 gr/pdf arrow is indeed impressive.  But then again, I've owned a couple of Palmer recurves and already knew they are fast!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Yep, good speed and a great bow. If I could have gotten used to a recurve grip, I'd still have mine.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Wow!  How about a report on a 430 gram arrow from that 43# bow?
Lon Scott

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
Next time I go to a bow shop I'll try some lighter ones and report again with the results.  They will probably whistle down range like a bottle rocket.  LOL.
Moon

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
A 414 gr arrow should get around 195 fps, or so.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
those are good numbers. I am shooting my palmer 57@28 600gr Full metal Jacket at about 169fps
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey Mr Moon - does that mean I can expect the same from my new Bob Lee R/D longbow Signature Elite in African Rosewood.  I am checking the mailbox shortly - should be here today or early next week.

I read somewhere that Bob Lee and Palmer used to work together and that the Palmer is just an expensive Lee??

Let me know what you think.  My bow spec's are identical to yours - 43# @ 28.  I shoot a 430 gr 35/55 Goldtip - so if my Lee is close to your bow they will be smoking!!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
They say every bow performs differently and yes, I too heard they used to work together.  They parted ways after a short while and both of them make outstanding bows.  Let me also say this about Bob Lee recurves since I have owned a couple, they are very forgiving, quiet, accurate and plenty fast to kill anything you shoot at as long as you hit the sweet spot.  I have no doubt you will be very satisfied with your new Bob Lee.  Please let us all know how it shoots/performs and good hunting to you.

Thanks.
Moon

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Thanks very much for your kind reply.  I actually had the same bow last year (Signature), but not in the fancy woods.

I can say it is the only bow that I have ordered two of from the same company.  I have had so many customs over the years I have lost count - all in that search for the elusive perfect bow.  It has cost me a veritable fortune - but has all been worthwhile.

However the Lee was different.  Nearly all of the others have been sold and I am down to just three fantastic bows.  Turkey Creek, Fox Royal Crown and my new Lee when it arrives.

I sold the other signature because I liked it so much - in order to fund the same bow but in the Elite (Bubinga).

I had better shut-up before I hijack your thread - sorry!

I will keep you posted.

Cheers - Phil
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline recondoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Moon,
Did you used to shoot the old Traditional Tuesday when Bow Shop was Viking?  I remember one of the guys there used to shoot a Palmer but can't remember who it was.
I was a relative newby back then.
Doc
Life Member of PETA
(People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
My widow shoots a 580 gr arrow 185fps
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
well lazerRyay wats the draw weight on the bow and whats your drawlenthe?

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Just a little more info on speed that could help another archer down the road..........

My HUNTER 48#'s@ 28" gives me 160 fps with 30#'s K.E.
My Dark Archer 50#'s@ 29"s gives me 179 fps with 37#'s K.E.
I shoot Easton XX75 Gamegetter 500's from both bows for practice and hunting and they weigh 515 grains.   :archer:
Got 3 does with the HUNTER last season. All 3 were double lung pass thru's all under 20 yards.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Hey Doc,

I've shot my Palmer at the bow shop (previously Viking) a few times but usually on Saturdays.  However, I'm not in any shooting league and just go for fun/practice.  I've seen other trad shooters there but mostly compound shooters.  It's all fun though and everyone there seems to be very friendly/helpful.  There are some pretty good shots around there.
Moon

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
I have owned several Lee's and Palmers over the years. Your getting good performance out of your Palmer.

I had a 50# Border TD that would shoot a 30" GT (425-450gr) at 211 FPS. Flat out the fastest bow I have ever shot, hands down. I prefer to shoot  high performance bows and found the Palmer classic (non carbon model) seemed to shooter harder than any of the other Palmers I owned.

Jerry
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Moon,

I was thinking you were mad me. My wife was asking my why I havent talked to you in a while. I told her that you probably got tired of me scoring higher than you a the 3d shoots.  :biglaugh: . I will give you a call. Bought my ticket to Alaska. I leave on 8/29 can hardly wait. I love my bob lee. Gilbert.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline recondoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Hey Moon,
I'm in Boerne these days but still drop in in Fred every now and again.  Do you ever shoot the 3D matches at Bullis?  I just found out that they are going again.  I stopped after 9/11 when the security out there went nuts for a while.  I may start going again just to play around.
doc
Life Member of PETA
(People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©