3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringing Heavy Longbows II  (Read 325 times)

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
Stringing Heavy Longbows II
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
My apologies for posting the site on the previous thread.  Here is the information in written form.  Hope this helps.

Here is “The Retherford Method” for stringing wood bows in a safe manner… as described by Jeremiah Retherford.

“Put the lower string loop on the lower limb tip. Make sure it is in the string-nock grooves. Pull the string tight enough with your right hand to hold the lower string loop in the grooves. Now place the lower limb tip on something soft like a piece of carpet. Holding the upper limb tip about three or four inches below the upper string nock-grooves, hold the bow in front of you with the upper limb tip in your left hand. The Belly of the Bow should be facing up.

The Bow should now be at about a 45 degree angle with your left arm straight or almost straight. Now you have the Bow in front of you with the upper limb tip in your left hand and the lower limb tip on the floor (or ground). Put your right knee on the handle; right where you would hold the bow to draw it. You have the upper loop of the bow string in your right hand. Now gently push down on the handle with your knee while you support the upper limb tip in your left hand. Make sure you hold the string loop in such a way that you will not pinch your hand or fingers when you release the bow (after it is strung).
To avoid pinching the fingers,  hold the upper string loop between your thumb and forefinger so that your fingers are not under the string at all but out to the sides of the string and just below the loop. Open the loop so it will fit over the end of the bow tip. Just push down with your knee. Do not pull with your left hand at all!  Keep it straight.  Just support the bow tip as you push down with your knee. This way you are using your body weight instead of brute strength. Bend the bow JUST ENOUGH to barely get the string over the end of the bow tip AND NO MORE! Once the string loop is in the nock-groove you can gently bring your knee back up. Do this slowly and make sure you hold the bow in a controlled manner before you let up entirely!
Visually double-check that both upper and lower string loops are in their respective string grooves. If they slip out, you are holding the bow in a controlled manner so the bow will not jump out of your hands. It only takes a few times to get used to this way of stringing a bow so practice stringing and unstringing the bow a few times. Always make sure you support the limb tips in a stable manner! Then, just push down with your knee until you can just barely get the string loop over the limb tip.

He advocates using  “smallish” loops on his strings which do not fit over (slide down) the limbs. The small loops never slip out of the grooves like some bigger loops will.

He states that as long as you do not pull on the upper limb tip as  described above, you will not be injured if the bow slips or breaks because everything is moving away from you and keeps the bow limbs bending evenly.”

This may be elementary to some of you, but I've always strung my longbows the Hill way and never had much problem until getting a bit older (66) as I am now.  So when I stumbled on the above, thought it would bear sharing as I detest using a stringer.

Good hunting.
IBEP Instructor

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringing Heavy Longbows II
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm sorry but that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. The only safe way to string a bow in my opinion is to use a stringer. It's safer for the bow and safer for the archer.

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
It's really not if one follows the directions properly. Basically, place the lower limb tip on the ground, string on lower tip.  Pull the string tight enough to keep strung.  Place right knee on handle.  Hold upper limb with left hand and gently begin to put pressure on handle keeping left arm straight.  When bow is bent sufficiently, hook the upper loop over the top limb and slowly release the pressure.  At this point bow is strung.  As far as being safe for the bow - even pressure is distributed over the bow throughout the whole process. There is no opportunity for limb twist and the bow if held in this manner is always away from the archer with no opportunity to snap in to him/her.  Not so with a stringer.  Have seen some of them break and/or slip.

Works great for me.
IBEP Instructor

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I'll stick to using a stringer. I wouldn't want the tip of my bow grinding into the dirt, and my knee would be too knobbly to keep the bow in position. Two feet firmly on a stringer, pull up with one hand and place the string with the other. That's too simple for me to stop doing. Also, the stringer that Dick in Seattle has designed has got to be the safest one I've seen in a long time.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I've been using the step-through method for 25 years and never have had a problem - no twisted limbs.  You just have to pay attention to what you're doing.

The method you describe seems like it would be very hard on limb tips. I would not recommend it. I shoot 85lbs.
TommyBoy

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
I'm trying to decide if the strokes to my ego from naming a stringing method after myself would be worth my business's added exposure to liability brought by teaching such a stringing technique.

Ok, I decided. NOPE!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©