3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to start hunting ( help)  (Read 846 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to start hunting ( help)
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
I have been kicking around this aite for a couple of years now. I love traditional archery.I bought a couple of nice bows and have gotten pretty good with my shooting. I decided that I am going to hunt for the first time this fall with some close friends. I am going to take my bow course and hunter safety course when they become available.
What are some of the necessities that I am going to have to start buying now. I need advice on clothes, boots, gear. I am in upstate New York so it will be pretty cold. What are some of the things that I won't be able to do without on my first hunt, besides my bow and arrows. Thanks
Brian   :archer:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to start hunting ( help)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Brian,
      we nne to get together and do some stump shooting, i have a lot of extra gear if i can save ya so money you are more then welcome to have what ya need. i also do a lot of hunting, have many tree stands in place and most of it is public land that i could show you so you will have a good spot.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Brian, buy a couple pair of good boots, for deer hunting I use rubber in the eraly season and a pair of sorrels for later on as I sit some long hours. A good pair of long underwear like the polar fleece from Cabelas and than just some layering. We can get together and go thru the catalogs if ya want, I myself also find a good armguard a must once ya start layering clothes. Betwen Jamie, Damon and I we can get ya going and I can put ya on some deer as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
If I were in upstate New York, I would not be without Grabber Mycoal 12 hour warmers. Air-activated heat packs that are toasty li'l busddies in the nooks and crannies of your clothing.

I would also want to bring along a Kenny.
Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Brian, get yourself some good long johns, I like man made fiber for for my first layer wool would be nice but there expensive. I have several different kinds of wool pants and bibs, you can get some $10 army surplus wool that will work good till it gets real cold. Get yourself a good set of breathable rain gear they are good on wet days but they will also keep the wind out on cold windy days. It can get kind of expensive when your starting out, but get the best you can afford.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
tell ya what i good a good used set of camo wool bibs only problem is they have a kazillion briars stuck in them, put your kids to work picking them off and they are yours, should serve ya well, killed a few deer in them. also have some good wool hats for ya. sounds like Shawn and Jamied can help ya as well. hunt North with me, South with Shawn and i'm pretty sure you will have a good chance at deer. i know ya will have a shot at bunnies with Shawn! i even have a tree stand i could give ya if you need one?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Do you have woodchucks to hunt? If you do spend some summerdays sneaking up on them, Use your broadheads that you are going to hunt with, If you can get up on them and get a few I think it would help a bunch. Its bigtime fun also.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
This Fall Your more then welcome to come and hunt with Us Jersey Boys.... for the early fall bow season.... Our Season starts Sept 13 this year...

Offline ewilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Brian, the thing to remember is to keep it simple. A good comfortable pair of DRY boots and a good set of wool and you will be set. One thing that I do is to wear a second arm gaurd over my upper arm when I have multiple layers on, so when you don't get that perfect form in you stand or blind it won't mess your shot up.
Eric Wilson

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to hunt with any tradgangers. I have been hanging around the Adirondacks my whole life and couldn't imagine a better place to hunt, especially with a guy like Kenny.
That being said, I'd like to open a can of worms and ask opinions on what kind of broadhead I should use. Are trade points a possibility?
Brian  :campfire:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Are there gloves that you use for cold weather hunting?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Brian, when the weather gets cold I wear wool gloves, a full glove on my bow hand and either a fingerless one or I just cut part of the fingers off and wear my glove under it. I always carry hand warmers in my pocket or have them in muff, if it is snowing or wet I carry my gloves in to try to keep them as dry as possible, cold hands and feet can end a hunt sooner. I won't get involved in the broadhead controversy let the others take care of that.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
What do you use James?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Kenny, are you a plus size man like me? (xxxl)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Horatio, what size boots do you wear? I wear only rubber Lacrosse boots from non insulated to 1200 when it gets to single digits. I have an extra pair of 800 gram your welcome to if you can fit into an 11. PM me if your interested.
Broadheads, well take your pick. They all will do the job on any eastern game. I like 3-blade snuffers on almost anything. But I'm using 2-blade Eskimos on elk this fall. Use what you want but always make sure it's SHARP!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Brian,

You're a Lucky Devil,you know that right????? You have about 2 dozen TradGangers within about an hours drive and they REALLY know thier stuff!!!!! I'll be hunting with you up to Kenny's if you go to his annual "Adirondack Attack" hunt. Might even be hunting with you elewhere too!!!!!

No my Friend.....Kenny's not a "plus size" man,(he only thinks he is LOL) but I AM!!!!! I've got LOTS of stuff!!!!! Between me and the rest of "The Gang" we'll get you ready in time for hunting season.

As far as clothing goes,It can get VERY cold!!!!! However.....It can be VERY warm also!!!!! Layers are the key. Personaly,I'm CHEAP!!!!! I buy cotton camo off the clearance rack,then I layer under it with 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4) 100% wool sweaters from the Good Will store. Put good wool socks on your feet,and a warm hat on your head,and your pretty well set for anything.

Tell us about your equipment. What type and weight bow do you shoot????? What kind of arrows????? These will help us get you started.

If you have any questions,feel free to ask!!!!! Most of us will be fallin' all over ourselves tryin' to help.

Look forward to meeting you!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
what BH's to Use...well You're going to get tons of members telling you their favorite BH. The main thing is to get what ever kind of BH deadly Sharp. A BH that isn't sharp, wont do you any good...Keep on shooting, when hunting season gets here & with the help from others on here...You'll be fine.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Taking Ken and Shawn's advice to heart would sure be a good starting point...if I'da known those two when I was first starting out, I woulda had a deer or five by now...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Brian ya cannot go wrong with Snufferas 125 to 160 grains, they are easy to sharpen and cut a big hole. I wear a thin glove of cotton on my bow hand and none on my string hand, I just use one of those chemical hand warmers in my pocket and keep my hand in there when real cold! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Brian ya cannot go wrong with Snufferas 125 to 160 grains, they are easy to sharpen and cut a big hole.
I'll second that. I only have experiance with the 100 and the 160. It doesn't take much to realize that those Snuffer 160's will leave a massive hole. But, I'm kinda leaning more toward the 100's on a 25-grain adaptor. Still a 1-1/4" cut, yet less prone to planing.
Not to mention, all you need is a BIG file to get 'em sharp, and maybe some fine emory cloth to finish 'em...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©