3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: most memorable hunt  (Read 231 times)

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
most memorable hunt
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
tell us about your most memorable hunt.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: most memorable hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Actually, I have two.  The first was on a deer hunt in the Hill Country of Texas.  I was hunting in a tree stand at the edge of a field during prime rut when a doe crossed the creek to the North.  She came out of the woodline and I had made up my mind venison was priority for me.  Waiting for her to make the next 20 into my comfortable shooting distance I notice a huge non-typical buck trailing her.  

This buck has obviously been chasing her for some time, as his tongue was hanging out and he was panting.  I'd say he was sweating but he had crossed the creek with her and was still dripping wet.

Once I saw him, I forgot about the doe, as I have never taken a nice buck with a recurve or longbow.  On this hunt I was using my Zipper recurve and hand made Cedar Arrows.

Before they got within shooting distance, the doe takes off to the East, out in a CRP field with the big Non-Typical on her heels.  When I say "Non-Typical", I really mean NON-TYPICAL...This buck had 5-6" bases with normal G-1's at about 4".  The rack was about 20" wide and each beam was about 24" long.  The Non-Typical part began just after the G-1...each beam was probably 5"-7" around and had 7-10 2"-4" points/side all growing in odd angles.  A true non-typical for sure.

Anyway, he started chasing the doe in the CRP field and they circled me for about 45 minutes.  Another 6 point joined in the chase and cut the big boy out.  I guess he was tired from the constant chasing.  

It was getting close to last light and I had all but given up when I hear a twig break to the South.  My heart was in my throat, as I saw him walking slowing toward the creek.  If he stayed on course, his path would bring him to within 15 yds. of my stand.  I readied myself for what was to come and just as I suspected, he took the trail which offered me a perfect shot at 15 yds.  I tried to steady my nerves and pick a spot "lower" than the chest, just behind the front shoulder.  

Now you have to understand one thing about Texas big bucks...They can jump a string quicker than one can imagine, so I normally aim lower than the chest and let them "duck" into the arrow.  As my luck seems to run (like a River uphill) this one didn't duck at all.  I guess he was just too tired from all his "chasing".  Anyway, the arrow sailed true to form and flew just under his chest.  He then ran about another 15 yds and stopped to look at what just happened.  I got another arrow on the string but could not bring myself to take a 28-30 yd. shot.  So I had to watch him walk off and never to be seen again.

It was disappointing not to harvest him but just the experience was worth it all.  I believe the "hunt" is much more rewarding than the "Harvest".

I'll try and post my second most memorable hunt later.

God bless.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: most memorable hunt
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Good story DKey, Ive had them do the same to me and its frestrating as all get out
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©