3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrow weight  (Read 197 times)

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrow weight
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
I have read several posts on how people have inserted different types of nails and rods into the end of a wood shaft for extra weight.  Has anyone tried to replace part or all of the taper with some type of steel?  I thought about getting some of those broadhead adapters and filing the threaded part down smaller and smooth and using epoxy to attach it with a hole in the end of the shaft.  Maybe that wouldn't be strong enough.  Maybe it could be a smaller steel cone that would only take up half of the taper and still have some sort of post to glue into the shaft (maybe even small threads?). If it worked it seems like it would add a lot more weight than people were getting with just a nail or small rod.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Pack, I was gonna try footing an 11/32 shaft with a 23/64 oversleeve of aluminum arrow shaft, with a screw-in adapter...that way you could play around with tip weight, plus it should strengthen the shaft somewhat...at least that's my theory....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Yes fatman that works.... I did that to fix some broken arrows... it added some weight & lowered the spine some too.... I used 2317's cut to about 2-3".....

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
I've had the same issue with wanting to weight up a POC shaft.  I spoke with Mike at the Nocking Point and he suggesting soaking in Watco Danish oil.  He did a set for me and it worked great.  I just finished a set that I soaked for a week in Watco Teak oil.  29in. finished shaft with 125gr. point comes out to 600gr.  Just soak them for a week and then let them dry for another week before finishing.  they should be completely waterproof when done.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
The aluminum footing has a lot of promise for weight and especially FOC. I recently had Raptor Archery taper and foot some ACME POC, Ted left the Osage footing extra long-5" BOP instead of the usual 2" so the total weight with a 160 BH is 650 grains-for a 29" shaft. There is quite a bit more weight up front; but it still is not 'extreme' FOC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©