3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do my arrow selections sound right?  (Read 282 times)

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Do my arrow selections sound right?
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I decided to make the switch to carbons.  I purchased a CX Heritage test kit and a field point test kit.  I decided to bare shaft a single arrow (not groups due to lack of arrows).  I bare shafted my girlfriends bow to my draw, and one of my recurves.  Below are the bows and the arrow combos I ended with.  Both bows shoot a bare shaft that impacts at point of aim out to twenty five yards and beyond, with a slight nock left (weak, I'm right handed).  On these post I normally see "TOO STIFF" and they sound too stiff to me, but shoot well.

RH, 29 1/2" draw, full length shafts 32 3/4"

50#@28 Bear Super Kodiak(recurve), FF string, cut past center shelf=  CX Heritage 350 w 145g point

35#@28 Bear Ranger(recurve), bear weather rest= CX Heritage 150 w 145g point

Do they sound right?     :confused:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do my arrow selections sound right?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Way to stiff both set-ups ya need at least 275 and most likely more on the 350s to tune close and the 150s you will need all of that and most likelly 325 upfront. As an example I shoot the 150s cut to 29.5"s with 175 grains up front out of my 54# Arroyo drawn to 28.5"s and my bow is a high performance bow as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Shawn's right, and he knows his stuff about arrows.  I shoot a Hoyt Gamemaster and pull 61#@27, and have 300 grains up front and will probably only shoot a CX250 cut to 28-29 inches.  My $.02.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline IAOUTDOORSMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  That is what I was thinking I would hear. I seem to see an extremely weak indication on the other shafts, even with light weight up front (seeing some weird flight).  I did have some CX 90's flying fairly well with the 250's up front, but they are to short.
Seeing as I have the test kit I have the 250's as well.  What would be the suggestions for arrow set up on both bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©