3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon arrow choice question  (Read 224 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon arrow choice question
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I want to make some arrows for a friend and need some advise.  I have been using the Beman MFX's for a while and want to make some up for him.

He shoots two different bows; a recurve and a longbow…both are NOT cut to center and have the exact same grip.  Both are around 60-65 lbs.  He likes heavy arrows and I want to try to get a the carbon as heavy as possible.  

His draw is 27" so I'm thinking a 28" arrow...either a Beman MFX Classic in 340 or 400 spine with a brass HIT insert with around 150 to 200 grain broadhead.  

Anyone shoot similar to this?  I’m thinking since he likes the big Grizzlies that I might be able to buy 340’s and load the front up but don’t know if that is going to be too stiff.  Would the 400’s with brass inserts work better?

This is a surprise so I can’t really ask him all the specific’s on his bow so I’m guessing a bit on his overall needs.  I do know he is shooting a 28” 85-90 spine POC arrow currently with 160 grain Grizzlies currently.  

A Beman MFX Classic 340 at 28” with broadhead and feathers is going to weigh about 595 grains and the 400 spine is going to weigh 570 grains both include a 160 grain head, this includes the 100 grain brass insert.

I know there will be some tuning issues to work through but is there a good starting point?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon arrow choice question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Josh i think the 340 will work even if u add a 50 or 100gr broad head adapter. Just helped tuned my buddys bow 64# long bow using ICS 300 with 100gr insert 250 feidpoint tuned perfect cut to 30"- MFX 100GR insert 250fPT cut to 29" is close (little weak)but not perfect yet- his bow is cut to center so i think the 340s will be close for u, an that will giva u a 700gns for a heaver shaft. Every bow tunes different, i think u have room to trim to get 340s to work  @ 28-29"s shaft   :knothead:
Bull

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon arrow choice question
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
When I pick out a carbon the length is something I don't worry about.You should bareshaft tune them to find the correct dynamic spine.They don't come in as many different spines as wood or aluminum to choose from.I find this really comes into affect with bows that are cut off of center.I had some carbons that were cut 1" past my draw and they would not tune the way I wanted them.They got worse the more weight I added to try to weaken the spine.I think they were just bouncing off the riser.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©